I've been recently trying to use my pinky more often in fast playing, say for example if I'm going to run down the 1st position minor pentatonic box, but it's actually been slowing me down, even though I've gotten it up to proper speed. My fingers want to return to the position I usually take, which is using my ring finger for the longer stretch (1st 2 strings) and my middle finger for the shorter ones. my hand will consequently get confused and go crazy.

my question is, is it bad for me to play like I used to, using those two fingers instead of my pinky? I always use the pinky on 3 note per string scales and runs, but it gets clumsy on 2 note per string runs because I'm used to using the other fingers. Bad habit, or not really a big deal? I can't see how not using my pinky in those situations could put a cap on my speed later on, as long as I keep it up to speed in situations when I need it.... I hope.
Well, one could make the arguement that if it works, (aint broken) don't fix it. However, every single time I've heard this brought up, as well as from a guitar instructor, It's come down to the fact that you're really supposed to have one finger per fret, so you're original playing would violate this rule. I'll explain, if you're playing, on one string fret 1 2 3 4, you should use fingers 1 2 3 4 in that order. If you're playing fret 1 2 4, you use finger 1 2 4, not 1 2 3. I hope this makes sense, it's really a simple concept, but I think it's worthwhile to do, if only because the other way can sometimes be impractical. I think in the long run, it may be the better way to play
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
well as a nooblet guitarost who just got very serious i know what your talking about, what ive founds is that when you teach yourself something a certain way it takes a hell of alot to get yourself to change the style fo playing it, for example i play sweet child o mine with three fingers, but when i tried to teach myself to do it with four fingers they kept going back to three, what you should do is from now on just play everything with your pinky no matter what you learn just play with all four fingers eventually your mind will subconsiously use alll four fingers thus elimenateing your problem, or you could have a blunt force object hit hard enough to forget your old finger style and just get someone to teach it to with four fingers. either way should work
Yeah, I agree with what strat said about what you should be using. I mean you said that you're more comfortable using your 3rd finger for the 3 fret streches(I think thats what you were saying), but really what it comes down is that if you plan on playing pentatonic boxes for the rest of your life, then really, keep doing what you're used to. However, the reason you're supposed to do the one finger per fret thing, especially if you're in the 1st position(and especially if your 2nd/3rd fingers are that much more coordinated than you're 4th) is because eventually its going to come useful and will make you a more able musician. Even things as mainstream as disturbed has a lick in their song stricken that is...

1|-15p10h13p10-----|
2|------------13p10|

which is just an example to show that quick pinky use will only make you a more versatile musician. though i guess if you can play that lick up to speed with only your first 3 fingers your hands just might be big enough to not bother with the pinky :P however you said this:

Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
but it's actually been slowing me down, even though I've gotten it up to proper speed

which has me confused, maybe im misunderstanding your question and i wasted everyones time by posting this.
well it's not like I play EVERYTHING with three fingers, only my 'signature' 2 nps runs when playing blues. Everything besides pentatonics uses my pinky, it's just that I'm wondering if I should keep trying to force myself to use my pinky when playing those things, or if I should just accept that I'm not going to use my pinky for that, and only focus on pinky speed for other things.

^ the proper speed/slowing me down phrase was saying that my pinky isn't actually slower than my other fingers, it's just when i do those licks, ( like your own personal hand memory for when you're improvising a shreddy lick in the pentatonic scale) my hands want to play them the way they normally do, and i've been trying to force them to go against that. I'm not worried about my pinky being slower for any other licks or things that I will need to play.
Once you gain strength with the pinkey, you'll use it more.
I can bend ,slide..or whatever, using the pinking now.

It took me a while to get use to it becase I started off playing with only 3 fingers
when soloing.

When I play full modes/scales I use my pinky.
I can rip through those scales alot faster now.

example play the option note b5 it turns the minor pentationic
into the the Blues scale. I hit the b3 with my pinky.

Somtimes...when you bend a note up on the B string and hold it. (with ring finger)
you can hit the note on the small E string on the same fret with the pinky.

For longer stretches such as playing minor triad, doing hammer on or pulls
with the pinky.

Or just playing the simple rythem and blues shuffle, you'll use the pinky.

I can play a sort of PMI picking when playing the blues or solos now.
It felt wierd when I first started doing it, just as it did when I first
started using the pinky on the fretboard hand.
Yea it's useful for all that stuff that ordinary said, but I don't know if you've gotten into learning different scales and stuff, but definitely int he modes the pinky makes things run more smoothly, and faster. Honestly, it's a proven method of using four fingers, if it didn't work, people wouldn't do it. In the long run, it makes you a better player, and speed always will come with time, no matter what you're doing, so why not be a fast, good player, instead of a fast, crappy player?
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
Quote by bangoodcharlote
I think it's good to be able to stretch over three frets with your index and ring finger. It allows -5-8-10- kind of stuff.

sure its definitely good to be able to, but at the same time i think you SHOULD be able to plant your pinky down IF you want it there instead so you can do the "one finger per fret" rule. all it can do is make you better and more versatile.

its better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
My fingers want to return to the position I usually take, which is using my ring finger for the longer stretch (1st 2 strings) and my middle finger for the shorter ones. my hand will consequently get confused and go crazy.

LOL. I don't want to single you out, but I see this type of thing ALL the time here
in post after post.

You're projecting. Your fingers don't WANT or NEED or MAKE or FORCE you to do
anything! You do all that. YOU are the cause, the fingers are the effect. It's not
vice-versa.

So, take some ownership there. If you REALLY want to use your pinky, it's in
your power to do so. If you don't really want it, you'll likely continue where you're
at. My advice is it's not a bad idea to use it where it makes sense to providing you
can use it.
Quote by Ordinary
Once you gain strength with the pinkey, you'll use it more.
I can bend ,slide..or whatever, using the pinking now.

It took me a while to get use to it becase I started off playing with only 3 fingers
when soloing.

When I play full modes/scales I use my pinky.
I can rip through those scales alot faster now.

example play the option note b5 it turns the minor pentationic
into the the Blues scale. I hit the b3 with my pinky.

Somtimes...when you bend a note up on the B string and hold it. (with ring finger)
you can hit the note on the small E string on the same fret with the pinky.

For longer stretches such as playing minor triad, doing hammer on or pulls
with the pinky.

Or just playing the simple rythem and blues shuffle, you'll use the pinky.

I can play a sort of PMI picking when playing the blues or solos now.
It felt wierd when I first started doing it, just as it did when I first
started using the pinky on the fretboard hand.

eh, I can actually play guitar, it's not like I don't know **** about it, it's just this one lick. I use extra pinky notes with my bends all the time, I play extra notes with my pinky during chords all the time, and I play fast licks with my pinky all the time. I use my pinky for everything else I do. It's just that I happen to use this lick (not exactly a specific lick, because it kinda changes every time I play it) a LOT.

I guess I kind of found the answer to my own question, because I don't see a point in retraining my hand for this one lick unless it's to help get my pinky faster, which I don't actually need to do.