I have been playing guitar for about 1 1/2 years and I am a junior in highschool...I don't have time to practice much, but I plan on using my summer as much as possible to get better on guitar. What are some things I should work on the most to build speed and get better at improv? Any suggestions to become better in general?
The best revenge is bettering yourself-Zacky V

311 Freak of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join!
Where are you at in your playing? What level are you at? Can you play some riffs, or just strum chords? I would try learning one new song everyday in summer. I would also spend time soloing over mp3's or music you got on your computer. That helps a great deal. When you get really good, take a rap song and solo over it. I would also "unlock" the licks in your favorite solos. By unlocking, I mean that you take each riff from your favorite solos and incorporate it into your playing. Just practice it over and over. Gimme a little bit more info about where your at in your playing. My site can teach you alot too... check it out www.guitarmadeez.com
Just jam a lot... try to find others to play with, learn some theory and how to read music.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
i would realy consider working on your rythem playing, most players nowdays only focuse on lead and there rythem playing sufers tremendousely.

as for your inprove, i would say get some backing tracks in various keys. figure out what scales and modes work with it and work on some phrazeing.

it also never hurts to read up on some music theory and composition.
Quote by Kartman
Just jam a lot... try to find others to play with, learn some theory and how to read music.
Although it is very essential, how does reading music help you improvise and play faster?
I can play chords pretty decently...i dont know how to form chords from scales...as far as playing ability, my rhythm is ok and i can play a few lead things like the Santeria solo and the solo from Gunslinger.

What?