Im gonna get a valve junior pretty soon, and I probaly want to buy a pedal, because I don't want play the amp cranked up all the time. So Im decided between the muff pi and the tube screamer.

I know the tube screamer is excellent for overdriven blues and rock, but can it do heavier stuff, like zeppelin and ac/dc? and im not sure if I want the muff pi or not, b/c it seems like the gain is a bit too high for my taste, can the muff pi do overdriven blues, and rock stuff?

Oh I play blues and classic rock, so which two pedals will better suit me? or should i get both?

Is the muff pi similar to the fuzz faces that jimmy page, hendrix, and clapton used?
Last edited by lpmarshall at Apr 28, 2008,
They're both two fairly different pedals, the Tubescreamer being an OD, and the Muff being a fuzz/distortion.

It could do AC/DC, probably most Zeppelin, you might want a proper fuzz for Zeppelin, unlike the Muff. Also, the Muff is too modern for Zeppelin. Fuzz pedals you should be looking for are Roger Mayers, Barbers, yano, boutique stuff. Also, you can build your own clones of both a fuzz and a tubescreamer, which is cheaper than buying the actual thing.

It's nothing like them, Hendrix used some prototypes near the end of his career of the Muff, but he never recorded with them.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Last edited by rhcp_freak at Apr 28, 2008,
Quote by rhcp_freak
They're both two fairly different pedals, the Tubescreamer being an OD, and the Muff being a fuzz/distortion.

It could do AC/DC, probably most Zeppelin, you might want a proper fuzz for Zeppelin, unlike the Muff. Also, the Muff is too modern for Zeppelin. Fuzz pedals you should be looking for are Roger Mayers, Barbers, yano, boutique stuff. Also, you can build your own clones of both a fuzz and a tubescreamer, which is cheaper than buying the actual thing.

It's nothing like them, Hendrix used some prototypes near the end of his career of the Muff, but he never recorded with them.

Really? because it was made first made in 1971, which is pretty vintage.

But it is an apples/oranges comparison. You can't get a classic blues tone out of a Big Muff, but you can out of a tubescreamer. You can't get a thick distortion out of an AD pedal because OD is soft clipping and it sounds different. An od pedal, not necessarily a tube screamer, would be your best option. Check out the Boss Blues Driver and the Digitech Screamin Blues.
Quote by imgooley

But it is an apples/oranges comparison. You can't get a classic blues tone out of a Big Muff, but you can out of a tubescreamer. You can't get a thick distortion out of an AD pedal because OD is soft clipping and it sounds different. An od pedal, not necessarily a tube screamer, would be your best option. Check out the Boss Blues Driver and the Digitech Screamin Blues.

The TS didn't say he wanted a vintage Muff, did he? And Page didn't use a Muff, he used a Tonebender.

I wouldn't say either of those pedals were great.

TS, look into the Digitech Bad Monkey, it's like a budget version of the Tubescreamer.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
The TS didn't say he wanted a vintage Muff, did he? And Page didn't use a Muff, he used a Tonebender.

no i want a vintage muff, which would be the reissue.
Quote by lpmarshall
no i want a vintage muff, which would be the reissue

I mean an actual Muff from the '70s. The reissue isn't vintage.

There are many differences between the different types of Muffs, but they would not be able to do Clapton, Hendrix or Page. Clapton used Fuzz Faces in Cream, and now uses a Tubescreamer, Hendrix used Fuzz Faces, and Page used Tonebenders/Fuzz Faces.

Also, when I said the Muff was too modern, I meant the TONE. You're not getting anything remotely vintage out of that.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Last edited by rhcp_freak at Apr 28, 2008,
well I want a vintage sounding fuzz face, but they seem to expensive, or either that I have build it, which I don't wan to do.
Quote by rhcp_freak

I wouldn't say either of those pedals were great.

TS, look into the Digitech Bad Monkey, it's like a budget version of the Tubescreamer.

But to say that it's too modern is to say that every pedal made with silicone transitors is to modern. And I never said that Page used a Big Muff. And when did I say that any pedal is great?

The Big Muff can do vintage tones pretty well, as can the other two pedals I suggested he try out. It's up to his ear to decide what he wants anyway.
Quote by lpmarshall
well I want a vintage sounding fuzz face, but the seem to expensive, or either that I have build it, which I don't wan to do.

Looked into Roger Mayer? That is still pretty expensive, though. I've got the Axis myself, great pedal.

You could build a Fuzz for about £20/$35, as components and stuff do not cost much, and there are tons of free schematics on the internet, and using a soldering iron's not exactly rocket science, if anything, it's harder to screw up than solder properly.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by imgooley
But to say that it's too modern is to say that every pedal made with silicone transitors is to modern. And I never said that Page used a Big Muff. And when did I say that any pedal is great?

The Big Muff can do vintage tones pretty well, as can the other two pedals I suggested he try out. It's up to his ear to decide what he wants anyway.

I use an Axis Fuzz, which is silicon. It's not modern at all.
What are you on about?

I play Hendrix/Clapton/Zeppelin stuff, and I tried out and researched many different pedals. The Muff did not get me that sound.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by lpmarshall
What about the dunlop dallas aribter fuzz?

They're not so good, IMO.

I think you should save up more, as the best fuzzes are boutique. Unless you'd like to build your own, which you don't seem too keen on.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
I use an Axis Fuzz, which is silicon. It's not modern at all.
What are you on about?
That was my point. So it has silicone transitors; doesn't mean it can't do vintage

I play Hendrix/Clapton/Zeppelin stuff, and I tried out and researched many different pedals. The Muff did not get me that sound.

So do I. It gets those tones fine for me. And I did copious amounts of research as well. Like I said, TS should try various pedals to see what he likes.
Last edited by imgooley at Apr 28, 2008,
Quote by rhcp_freak

I think you should save up more, as the best fuzzes are boutique. Unless you'd like to build your own, which you don't seem too keen on.

can u suggest me a site where I can order one? Which model would you recommend? So its not that hard to make one?
Quote by lpmarshall
can u suggest me a site where I can order one? Which model would you recommend? So its not that hard to make one?

It's not hard at all, there's just one thing.

What kind of fuzz are you after? Early Hendrix (less gain, smoother) or later Hendrix (bit more gain, grittier)?
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Anyone got any links to resources about starting building pedals?
Tubescreamer based pedals aren't going to color your tone as much as the muff. They can get pretty good distortion levels on their own, but work better when used with another, deeper voiced pedal like a DOD 250 or YJM308. The Big Muff is a VERY versatile pedal that can do pretty much any fuzz tone you want, but it sounds a bit weak at lower distortion levels. A medium would be a distortion pedal, like an MXR Distortion+ or modified Boss DS-1.
Quote by lpmarshall

Is the muff pi similar to the fuzz faces that jimmy page, hendrix, and clapton used?
No. No matter how many people claim Muffs and fuzzes are similar, I think of them as two very different pedals. My Muff (which is from the early 90s) can venture a little bit into fuzz territory, but it's still not the same as a true fuzz.

Quote by imgooley
The older Muffs sound a hell of a lot better then the new reissues in my opinion.

Quote by rhcp_freak
I've heard some very nice things about the Hendrix Fuzz Face that was recently released. I haven't played one though.

Quote by The Real Ming
I haven't built anything from them, but I will in the future. These pedals seem to get nothing but high praise (provided that you take your time and build them correctly ). The Triangle/Ram's Head Muff clones are unbelievably close to the originals (there are two youtube videos out there comparing them side by side).

lpmarshall, I'd definitely be leaning towards a fuzz if I were you. If the fuzz cleans up nicely, you can go from clean to OD to all out fuzz just by tweaking the volume knob on your guitar.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
go with the boss bad monkey
i have one and the sound is decent
but do what you want
Quote by musikman23
go with the boss bad monkey
i have one and the sound is decent
but do what you want

You have no idea what you're talking about.

It's a Digitech Bad Monkey, nubaek.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
I've seen on youtube a overview of a Jimi Hendrix Dunlop Fuzz Face by ProGuitarShop.com. Sounded pretty damn close to me, same boss boost and dirty tone. Clapton and Page used it too. As for the Big Muff, my friend has one, I don't like it, sounds too saturated. If you want a mild fuzz or overdrive the Big Muff should be forgotten. I've tried the tube screamer, adds nice fat to the tone and sustain but really doesn't go beyond overdrive level.
So many jerks, so few bullets
tubescreamer con do both
but muff not really

I`ll go with tubescreamer but try them yourself
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by Gabou1
I've seen on youtube a overview of a Jimi Hendrix Dunlop Fuzz Face by ProGuitarShop.com. Sounded pretty damn close to me, same boss boost and dirty tone. Clapton and Page used it too. As for the Big Muff, my friend has one, I don't like it, sounds too saturated. If you want a mild fuzz or overdrive the Big Muff should be forgotten. I've tried the tube screamer, adds nice fat to the tone and sustain but really doesn't go beyond overdrive level.

IMO, if you're gonna pay that much, you might as well get a Roger Mayer.

Roger Mayer was Hendrix's tech, and he modded his pedals for him.

If you are gonna look into Mayer, here's a link to the Axis fuzz (the one I've got):

http://www.roger-mayer.co.uk/axis.htm

And the Classic Fuzz:

http://www.roger-mayer.co.uk/classic.htm

The Mayers cost less than the Dunlop in the UK, but seeing as you're in USA, I'd assume they'd be around the same price.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Last edited by rhcp_freak at Apr 29, 2008,
I think a TS9 would be better for what you play, the muff is too modern, not very articulate, and less versatile, although great.

For the reccord, General Guitar Gadgets >>> byoc.
when dealing with fuzzes its important to note that germanium ones vary greatly in sound even in the same circuit(unless they have pre tested transistors that few do) so buying one without testing the same exact specimen is a big no no
Quote by 1337void
when dealing with fuzzes its important to note that germanium ones vary greatly in sound even in the same circuit(unless they have pre tested transistors that few do) so buying one without testing the same exact specimen is a big no no

Roger Mayer's managed to produce all of his to be the same using the circuitry he used to mod Hendrix's Fuzz Face, he's pretty much the only guy who has been able to get Ge's to sound the same. His Classic Fuzz also isn't affected by the temperature of where you're playing.

If I were to get a Ge Fuzz, I'd get the Classic Fuzz.

R_H_C_P's selling a limited edition Classic Fuzz, you can find his thread in Classifieds.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
A Bad Monkey + a Big Muff would cost around the same as a TS9.

I have both pedals and love them both, for different purposes obviously, but the love is there.

The Big Muff is pretty much my standard dirt. Bad Monkey for I want it a bit cleaner, and more dynamic response. I don't really use it as a boost.
Quote by freedoms_stain
A Bad Monkey + a Big Muff would cost around the same as a TS9.

I have both pedals and love them both, for different purposes obviously, but the love is there.

The Big Muff is pretty much my standard dirt. Bad Monkey for I want it a bit cleaner, and more dynamic response. I don't really use it as a boost.

Don't forget the Muff is a completely different voicing to what the TS is looking for.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Have a look into the Double Muff. It's far more vintage voiced than the Big Muff and "Muff 1" is more like a great vintage overdrive, which I use for my AC/DC stuff. It's also very well priced too. I used to own a Little Big Muff but found the tone somewhat lacking in warmth and really, it wasn't half as useable as the Double Muff, which strangely is a more simple pedal.

YouTube it to get an idea, but it sounds even better in real life!
Quote by rhcp_freak
Don't forget the Muff is a completely different voicing to what the TS is looking for.
Yeah, but everyone should have a muff my advice, try before you buy.
Quote by rhcp_freak
IMO, if you're gonna pay that much, you might as well get a Roger Mayer.

Roger Mayer was Hendrix's tech, and he modded his pedals for him.

If you are gonna look into Mayer, here's a link to the Axis fuzz (the one I've got):

http://www.roger-mayer.co.uk/axis.htm

And the Classic Fuzz:

http://www.roger-mayer.co.uk/classic.htm

The Mayers cost less than the Dunlop in the UK, but seeing as you're in USA, I'd assume they'd be around the same price.

I'm in Canada and in a shop in Montreal they sell for about 330$ which is about
115 £. I don't know if it's boutique built but it's way more expensive than the 170$ (85£ JH Fuzz Face
So many jerks, so few bullets
Quote by Gabou1
I'm in Canada and in a shop in Montreal they sell for about 330$ which is about
115 £. I don't know if it's boutique built but it's way more expensive than the 170$ (85£ JH Fuzz Face

They are boutique.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
I played with a guy a couple of times who had a blues junior and both tubescreamer and a muff pi (muff pi lol) with a strat

the tube screamer sounded really tasty and enough for classic rock and the muff made insane fuzzed out mayhem sounds
Shut up and play your guitar!
The Double Muff seriously needs a volume control, and lacks a tone control as well. The Big Muff is a cool pedal but it has a distinctive sound that isn't Classic Rock or Hendrix Fuzz.

My recommendations for a versatile pedal are either of these....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002GU1ME
http://www.adirondackguitar.com/effects/visual/jeckle_hyde.htm

The Proco Rat2 is not as versatile as the above two pedals but has a great Classic Rock sound, and is a little cheaper.
the Muff isn't to bad for blues drive stuff, but the BOSS Blues driver does it better....

I uhnno what you want though, I perfer Fuzz, so I'm biased towards the Muff
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
THE MUFF IS NOT A FUZZ NOR IS IT A DISTORTION, IT'S SOME WEIRD THING IN-BETWEEN.

THANK YOU.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild