ok i have 2 problems, which means big wall of text.

problem 1)
in my band most of our problems stem from our drummer. he has a long list of problems or issues which need to be resolved, but the main ones are.

1. doesnt show up to most rehearsals
2. he isnt as skilled as the rest of us, and doesnt work to catch up to us
3. he complains about volume. even when the amps are below 1.

i wanna know how to solve these various problems as well as...

problem 2)
during our rehearsals, everyone gets off track. theres two scenarios that usually occur.

we go in without our drummer, play for about 15 minutes, then our keyboardist starts playing random crap and we all get sidetracked. once we all get focused again, our keyboardist goes AWOL and doesnt come back.

we go in with our drummer. he brings his girlfriend. she brings a friend. then a bunch of muso kids come in and point out how much musical theory we dont know. they wont get the hell out and nothing gets done.

i probably sound like a total bitch but im seriously pissed that we cant get it together. we've written several songs but we cant get **** done.
talk to the drumer?
if he disagrees with the majority of the band than the smartest thing to do is kick him out.
and you say he isn't talent, and won't work on it. find another drummer that is more commited to the band.
ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest
If he's not taking it seriously and as you say isn't as skilled as the rest of you then kick him out. But you may want to start searching for a replacement first. Because it wouldn't help if you kicked him out and couldn't find anyone else.

As for the getting sidetracked thing, it happens to all bands because bands are fun. In my band we could all play each others instruments so we'd play a couple songs on not our normal instruments. Just make it clear to your bandmates when it's time to knuckle down and practice for a bit.
Quote by octavarium78
talk to the drumer?
if he disagrees with the majority of the band than the smartest thing to do is kick him out.
and you say he isn't talent, and won't work on it. find another drummer that is more commited to the band.

we've already done that. thing is there is only 5 drummers in our year level.

1. him
2. guy who is equally as problematic as him and about the same skill level
3. total asshole guy who hates us
4. another total asshole
5. kid who doesnt like metal (we are primarily 80's style thrash metal)

we cant get guys outside of our school because our parents are all overprotective and stuff. and all the guys in the year ahead of us are in bands already.
I'll be in your band! But with me in NZ and all.... We can jam over the internet and it will be cool!!! Just tell him to get his **** straight and work. The thing that got our band going was that we got a gig. None of us wanted to look bad, so we worked our asses of and still had fun. Maybe get a gig and make them work hard. OR whip them and get them to make a pyramid for you to make them appreciate all you do for the band. LOL at the post above ^^
ESP Eclipse-II VTB (With 18v Mod)
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
oh we already knew about the good doctor. we just cant afford him (yet). i also have another problem i just remembered but i will ask after i get a bit more help on the first 2 issues.
Quote by Ali-b912
we've already done that. thing is there is only 5 drummers in our year level.

1. him
2. guy who is equally as problematic as him and about the same skill level
3. total asshole guy who hates us
4. another total asshole
5. kid who doesnt like metal (we are primarily 80's style thrash metal)

we cant get guys outside of our school because our parents are all overprotective and stuff. and all the guys in the year ahead of us are in bands already.

stop making excuses and get a new drummer, that's all i have to say!
thanks tomypg, but a gig is too hard. ill set an idea of where he is as far as skill level

he thinks day tripper by the beatles, is too hard.
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Meet your new drummer!

you'll only have to tell it what to do once too
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
Dude our drummer thought drumming for the stuff we wanted to paly was hard... stuff like Children of Bodom and Slayer. But we got a gig and he worked his anus cavity out. and then he started realistically thinking his limits such as NILE! But really put pressure on him and if he is serious he will work. but if he aint, he will leave.
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
Quote by 13brx7
stop making excuses and get a new drummer, that's all i have to say!

its not that simple. we are all 15 and we go to a private school (please let me make it clear, we are the poor kids in the class and we dont have thousands of dollars just lying around). our parents are over protective like hell. we arent even allowed to hang together on the weekends all the time. the keyboardist and drummer moved here last year and dont know anybody outside of school and me and the guitarist dont know anybody outside of school
Hmm, looks like you've got a real drummer problem there, if it wasn't for the over protective parent thing, it might not be so hard to solve.
Maybe it's an idea to talk to your parents, make them realise that you cannot as a band move forward because of their silly rules, don't be all teenagey and say 'Oh you're sooooo unfair!' but ask them to help you out finding a new drummer, and make sure they realise how important this is to you. It might just make them see what an impossible situation they've placed you in.
For now, it might actualy be an idea to use a drum machine until you can get the situation sorted out. I know a metal band (called I.C.O.N. go check 'em out on the net) that couldn't get a drummer to start with and had to use a machine, thety gigged around like that for a couple of years and actualy built up quite a following, but now they've got a drummer, because they spent their time jamming with a machine, they're seriously tight.
Talk to your drummer and see if you can't come to some agreement, if you can't, there's always the machine.

As for the other situations, ban everyone apart from the band from rehearsals, that's one problem solved.
As for the other, write down a set list, practice the set list, then goof off and jam around a bit. Make sure that everyone knows that the first two thirds of the rehearsal are to be spent on the set list and the final third can be used to mess about in. You never know when someone is gonna come out with a riff or a tune that just might become your next song, so when your keyboard player is playing random stuff, occasionaly say, 'Hey, I like that tune, d'yer think we could write something around it?' This will make him a damn sight more interested in the band so he has little reason to go AWOL.
I agree totally with the above statement
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
I agree with SlackerBabbath's advice. The only thing I would add is talk to your drummer first and tell him if he doesn't get his act together that he's getting kicked out. Tell him that he needs to work and show up to practices on time by himself. This way you are potentially spared the trouble of looking for another drummer.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.