I have been playing guitar for 1 and a half year now. I can go for an okey speed, I am good at scales and all this, my fingering on the fretboard is good and etc.

Now I want to get this awesome speed you see guitarists like Dave Murray, Adrian Smith, Janick Gers, Herman Li and all those. I know it will take some time but can anyone tell me about some good practices for that?
Get yourself Intense Rock by Paul Gilbert. It's an awesome instructional DVD, arguably the best around...

He goes deep into some of the exercices you should do, ans some of which helped him tremendously.

If I had to boil it down to one thing: when you alternate pick, separate 2 kinds of exercices/patterns:

- 3 notes per string (diatonic, meaning any 7 note scale, like Yngwie, Herman Li play harmonic minor etc...)
- 2 notes per string (most of the time pentatonic)
Intense Rock by Paul Gilbert got it!

I would like to get other opinions too, if someone has.
I've only been playing just over a year now, but if you want to play like Her-man Li, I'd learn to sweep pick
Quote by Lolcheez324
1 time i was home alone and i said i want a cheeseburger and then mah dad got home and he had a bag of potatoes
Quote by rolling_stoner
I've only been playing just over a year now, but if you want to play like Her-man Li, I'd learn to sweep pick

What the hell? Herman sucks balls at sweeping.

Gulli05, it's fine to develop speed, but it's not so good to follow in the footsteps of a person like Herman Li, he just doesn't have any soul in his playing, and he's just plain speed and notes, which gets boring after a while.

I suggest you look into some more tasteful shredding, with some emotion.

The new album, Silence Followed By A Deafening Roar by Paul Gilbert is some of the great shredding you'll hear.

You should also take a look at

Michael Romeo
Jason Becker
Marty Friedman
Yngwie Malmsteen (some people say he's cold and mechanical, but for a shredder, he's alright at portraying emotion)
John Petrucci
Steve Vai

All of those guitarists have speed, and they can still portray emotion. They have the skill only many years of bonding with your instrument could give, knowing when to slow down and give the blur of notes a slow brake.
Quote by XianXiuHong
What the hell? Herman sucks balls at sweeping.

I realise that.. but he should still learn to sweep
Quote by Lolcheez324
1 time i was home alone and i said i want a cheeseburger and then mah dad got home and he had a bag of potatoes
I am not going to be like Herman Li! He was just an example of fast playing.

I want my own style of playing. The artists were just examples of fast playing.

Okey, so if I want to learn Shred, Sweep Pick and Speed Picking, where can I find something about it all?
Quote by Gulli05
I am not going to be like Herman Li! He was just an example of fast playing.

I want my own style of playing. The artists were just examples of fast playing.

Okey, so if I want to learn Shred, Sweep Pick and Speed Picking, where can I find something about it all?

Search the lessons on UG or you can get Paul Gilbert's Intense Rock DVD, there's also a Guitar Pro file of it, it's really useful for the shredding bit

For the sweep picking, I recommend starting on 3 string sweeps and then moving up to 4, 5 and then back to 3, 4, 5 and if you have the balls to, 6 string sweeps.

Speed Picking isn't really anything difficult to pick up, practice alternate picking exercises, shred is mostly speed picking, a good place to start would be the Beast And The Harlot guitar solo, some nice picking there and should get you started in the shred scene, but that's just light shredding, you'll need alot more practice to play other stuff.

Looking up sweep tapping won't hurt either, look up some of Symphony X's pieces, the sweep tapping there's extremely technical, when you're comfortable with 3 string sweeps, try adding a tap in there somewhere, then a slide tap, then onto 4 string sweeps, and so on.

Good luck.
first off, get yourself a metronome; when you learn a lick, or whatever, go through it with the metronome, start of slow and speed up ever so slightly each time
John Petrucci's Rock Discipline DVD. It has a very good methodology about how to practice right. Using those principles with the licks of Paul Gilbert's Intense Rock Technique video, and you'll play fast and cleanly in no time.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS