greetings,

i surfed the net for a new guitar (my hagstrom super swede is nice, but if you wanna play above the 13th fret you just get carpal for shure and its heavy as ****, after 2hrs of rehearse my back starts to hurt, and yes i have a wide and comfortable strap) and found the schecter hollywood series.

i totally dig the design of the guitar, freaky but still with style (i like the striped neck, i only saw this on basses before), my problem is: i play hardcore/metalcore/punk and the PAF's built in are just not evil enough (i already replaced the hagstrom PAF pickups with sh-4's ).

but my concern is: even if i change the pickups, may the base of the guitar doesn't support my wanted evelism because its not designed from the scrap to be evil (i think i've read somewhere that neck-through takes out some of that cutting heights and harmony's).

so the question is: has the hollywood the potential to give a good and evil sound or are replacement pickups just bugfixing on a weak base?
i love it when you hate the world ~ Zuko
Last edited by Lonely at Apr 28, 2008,
...................I an disturbed by your question in so many ways. schecters are evil enough for me. hell i have 2 c1s and i play in a deathmetal band. They are great sounding guitars and thy play great as well.
Gear:
Fernandes Revolver Elite
Schecter C1 Exotic
Schecter C1 Classic
Peavey JSX head
Hartke 4x12 cab
Boss GT-8
BBE 362 Sonic maximizer
Well, i've just got my Omen-6 with Seymour Duncans in it, and i can safely say that Schecters are pretty effin evil, not to mention i think they're like the best guitars in the world, i reckin i'll get slagged for sayng that but hey personal preference...

...LONG LIVE SCHECTER
I thought the Hollywoods were pretty classy looking...

Not exactly "evil" looking. Well, at least to me anyway.

If you want "evil" looks AND sound, I'd say go with either the Devil Custom, or the Stiletto Classic (if you still want that neck-through look).

Or the Hello Kitty Strat.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
lol ok i think you've got my question wrong

i meant: is the schecter hollywood a good base for a evil sound? (i would replace the pickups), or does the construction (because of the neck through stuff) suck too much "evilism" out of it?

btw: The Hello Kitty Strat rocks out HARD!, if 200$ wouldn't hurt me i would definately get one just to make a great show ^^
Not sure what kind of sound is necessarily "evil," but a neck-through won't have all THAT much impact on your sound. They're supposed to have a better sustain and are generally a preferred type of manufacturing in regards to tone (at least from what I've understood). I've heard some pretty nice, hardcore metal come out of a Hello Kitty Strat (upgraded). I'm pretty sure the Hollywood would make a fine base... for evil...

You should concentrate more on your particular amp, and possibly pickups to get the sound you want.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Last edited by Hakael at Apr 28, 2008,
Quote by Hakael
Not sure what kind of sound is necessarily "evil," but a neck-through won't have all THAT much impact on your sound. They're supposed to have a better sustain and are generally a preferred type of manufacturing in regards to tone (at least from what I've understood). I've heard some pretty nice, hardcore metal come out of a Hello Kitty Strat. I'm pretty sure the Hollywood would make a fine base... for evil...

You should concentrate more on your particular amp, and possibly pickups to get the sound you want.

+1

And Bolt-on is generally just the cheaper way of doing it. It's only other real advantage is that you can replace the neck if something happens to it.
Why are you strictly looking at the Hollywood? It's definitely not the best choice for what you will be using it for. I would look into something more suited to metal, such as the C-1 Blackjack.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Why Hollywood:because i ****ing totally dig the style of the guitar, oh my god i could have sex with it.

Why Neckthrough Concern: i come frome the bass edge and on a bass a neck through has indeed an impact on the sound. not that huge, you're right, but the NT usually sucks up some height and gives more warmth and bass to the fingerstyle sound, this is why alot of slap players prefer bolt ons, and of course, evil is not warmth and round

history:my first idea was the hellraiser avenger but i just think the thick abalone binding looks ugly as **** and spending so much money on a guitar i don't like looking at...

Gear:As a amp i Already have a Ashdown Fallen Angel 60W Combo + 212 Celestion V30 Box (in end effect 4x12), i mainly use amp distortion.

Pickups:The Pickups i would replace with Seymor Duncan Sh-4 or Sh-13
and what i forgot to mention: maybe i'll use a booster like the bad monkey but usually i'm a no-effect guy
Quote by Lonely
Why Hollywood:because i ****ing totally dig the style of the guitar, oh my god i could have sex with it.

Please don't, anyways I think the Hollywood classic is a really good guitar and I have the c-1 hellraiser and the abalone isn't so bad.
Gear
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
1967 Ventura Les Paul Copy
Marshall JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead