This is one of the hardest techniques I've come across and have to work at it a lot more than anything else.

I heard Paul Gilbert use this technique and thought it sounded real sweet, it creates more of an intervallic sound.

Its a 3 note per string pattern, joining for example D min shape 1 and shape 2 together.

e -10-13-15
b -10-13-15
g -10-12-14
d -10-12-15
a -10-12-15
e -10-13-15

Obviously this can work on shape 2 & 3, 3 & 4....

I can skip strings using legato going up (so e,d,b and then a,g,e) keeping all notes an equal length at a decent speed. But coming back down requires the pull offs which, on the low e string is damn hard to produce a good note and keeping them equal length.

I guess its just a case of playing slowly (speed is a by-product of accuracy), but I've been practising this religiously for like, 2 weeks, every day for hours (amongst other stuff). It's fustrating cos I like to keep challenging myself. Guess that's what you get for being a perfectionist but has anyone got any tips??
I use those types of pentatonic patterns, but it's for economy picking more than
anything else.

Are you sure he's doing pulloffs? He might be alternate picking. With the wide
spacing, pulloffs would be very difficult to do. It's hard enough just fretting the
notes at speed w/o pulloffs, but I suppose its possible.
Quote by edg
I use those types of pentatonic patterns, but it's for economy picking more than
anything else.

Are you sure he's doing pulloffs? He might be alternate picking. With the wide
spacing, pulloffs would be very difficult to do. It's hard enough just fretting the
notes at speed w/o pulloffs, but I suppose its possible.

He's definately doing pull-offs.

It's part of the reason that the last solo bit of Scarified is so scary - it has string skipping with large stretches, e.g., 9 to 15!, with pull offs. One thing I definately suggest is making sure you can get all other aspects of the string skipping licks down before adding the stretches. So for 10 13 15, if you are doing that with your first, third, and fourth fingers...you might want to start out with 10 12 13 instead. Paul Gilbert says this better in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKvIAuXMl7U

One additional suggestion...try practicing these with and without distortion. With distortion to make sure you are muting the extraneous strings. Without distortion to make sure your pull-offs are clearly sounding. And two weeks really isn't a lot of time at all to be practicing this sort of thing.
Welcome to BUCKETHEADLAND

Last edited by Colonel Sanders : Yesterday at 10:54 PM.
Last edited by Dr. Faustus at Apr 28, 2008,
Bit of a delayed reply, but hey thanks for your help. Its starting to come together and get quicker now.