Hi guys,

Me and a DJ (and a couple of others) have "formed" (very much in it's infancy) a band. Basically it's an amalgamation of styles, think the Kills but with a harder or funkier edge... or at least that's how the DJ sold it to me!

Anyway long story short I went to the DJ's recording studio the other day with the intention of laying down some stuff and having a jam... it didn't go well! This is not to say it went badly but I a) didn't have all my effects, in fact I only had a Big Muff going on and my effects are a big part of what I do and b) I didn't quite feel comfortable trying to play over stuff that was cracking off at 180 - 200 bpm!!

So I'm looking for advice, I'm no shredder but my technique is fairly solid. I've listened to stuff like U.N.K.L.E and I'm a huge Muse fan so the idea of working with synth really appeals to me but I'm really struggling working with the electronic beats. I think it's just the speed and I've never improv'd over anything like that before.

Any advice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavnofingrprnt
well there are only three true people alive today who are actually possesed by satan

Dakota Fanning, the kfc general dude, and my neighbor and all of them dont have much musical ability
so you guys are doing somthing like sky eats airplane or something?? that would be intteresting since i love that band.. they use alot of computer effects on there album infact there were only two people who made the album. now they have a full band though. but is it somehting along hte lines of that? for advice just try and experiment. what you get the hang of it you will start making riffs that fit, and over time you will make better riffs. so just keep working =)
Yeh I reckon it's like that, I might have to check out Sky Eat Airplane if that's sounds like it fits into the genre. If it comes off it'll be a great sound because we're all bringing something different to the table... think it might be a big IF though.

Anyone else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavnofingrprnt
well there are only three true people alive today who are actually possesed by satan

Dakota Fanning, the kfc general dude, and my neighbor and all of them dont have much musical ability
some more bands could be enter shikari. emarosa, abandon all ships. however these are all screming in them.. but if you listen to the guitars you can just see how they all fit together. hope it helped.
yeah playing over DnB beats can be pretty rough at first, but it's all quite easy if you just aim for the accents, so the bass and snare, the delayed snare will automatically have you get the rhythm.. your other notes just have to fit into the 8th note beats around it.. and you're pitching to the bass, which is probably the hardest, especially if there's a sub in there..

errhm hiphop beats are a lot easier, you can use your basic (4 note) arpeggio shapes here, lay them over the bass, and be sure to pause for a beat here and there..

other electronica.. i'd recommend dubstep (ofcourse) the jazzy tunes are very nice for sweet phrasing, yet not too complicated, the dubby (reggae based) tunes are a good way to learn to pitch to the (sub)bass, because you've got simple supporting chords.. and i suggest you move on to the raw tunes to apply this to other electronic music

and eehm try out ambient and goa music too, rhythmically easier, but with startling harmonies..

oh, and if you want to be over-prepared, go breakstep, or louder, breakcore.. this is in my opinion absolutely the hardest electronic music to play to, and you've got to listen to it quite a bit before you can make something out of the chaos
in this section, may i recommend my cities very own Bong-Ra (breakcore) and noisia (breakbeat)
1953 Epiphone zephyr
1988 PRS custom 24
1960 Moon oct. mandolin
Last edited by Funkicker at Apr 28, 2008,