I'm learning bass, and my freind is learning to play accoustic guitar. We are both just starting out, but are ready to start learning a song or two. Only problem is, we can't find a good, easy song that we are both capable of playing. We want to find something so that we can practice together. Any song suggestions?
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
pishahh!!!! just play something, if you limit you song learning to your "skill level" you'll never get good. pick something challenging!!!
Try something by the Offspring maybe? Can't Repeat is quite a good song to learn. Or try some Green Day songs, they are generally really easy.
Last edited by Regression at Apr 28, 2008,
Quote by Agent_darkbooty
pishahh!!!! just play something, if you limit you song learning to your "skill level" you'll never get good. pick something challenging!!!

Yes, but if you try something to hard and make very little progress after a long time you are more likely to get frustrated and give up. I agree you should challenge yourself, but you have to be reasonable about it.
look, im not going to sit here and tell people what to play. play what you want to learn, not what someone else says you should learn
you have an acoustic right? if theres anything you should learn it would probably be stairway. the bass is pretty straight foreward and the guitar is all about positioning
Quote by Agent_darkbooty
you have an acoustic right? if theres anything you should learn it would probably be stairway. the bass is pretty straight foreward and the guitar is all about positioning

maybe start with something like patience by gnr
Quote by Agent_darkbooty

yup, stairway is VERY good for acoustic guitar, but we need a song that can be played together... i would have to suggest "the man who sold the world" by david bowie/nirvana... a lot of scales for bass and a good yet simple solo and rhythm for the guitar... and IMO, sweet child is too hard for beginner level...
Quote by kholdphlames
yup, stairway is VERY good for acoustic guitar, but we need a song that can be played together... i would have to suggest "the man who sold the world" by david bowie/nirvana... a lot of scales for bass and a good yet simple solo and rhythm for the guitar... and IMO, sweet child is too hard for beginner level...

I'll agree with The Man Who Sold the World. Basic chords with a pretty simple strumming pattern. The bass part is pretty cool during the chorus (assuming the guitar sticks to playing chords during it). And it's pretty easy to sing along to even if you can't sing at all. The Nirvana Unplugged version is probably the best.
me and my bass playing mate are learning american idiot, thts pretty gd
I recommend Sunshine of Your Love by Cream. First song I learned on bass, and one of the easiest guitar songs. It is one of the best songs of all time, and has one of the most recognizable riffs. It has an incredibly high how awesome to how easy ratio.

If you really want to be lazy, go for some early punk. It will aid in basic chords for you, playing the roots for your bass friend, and will give both of you a good sense of timing while increasing your speed.
either Sunshine or Seven Nation Army

My friend and I were playing at a local pawn shop and he picked up a bass and started playing the bassline to Seven Nation Army (he's never played bass before) and I grabbed an acoustic guitar and started playing the power chords and it sounded awesome.
Thanks for all the help, guys.

I really like the sounds of Sunshine. I assume playing it in accoustic wouldn't be hard? I mean. I know nothing about guitar. I'm the bassist in the ordeal D:

I like the tune to Seven Nation Army... but it's going to need an overhaul before it's gonna be anything we would want to play publicly. Mostly the voice. I just don't like that style of singing. But, hey, to each his own.

Also. We have picked Californication as our long-term goal :3
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
Last edited by Tone Deaf at Apr 28, 2008,
Quote by Agent_darkbooty

That's rubbish, there's no such thing as a skill level - everything new you learn helps you advance in some way.

Quote by Agent_darkbooty
look, im not going to sit here and tell people what to play. play what you want to learn, not what someone else says you should learn

Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
the first basic song i played was substitute by the who, but i dumbed it down a TON and it sounds really wrong, so techically i learned sunshine first, but not the riff- start with that one
...but i can't see, that this is me...and I'll be.. you'll all see- that I'm the One

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss!

Layin' on my back in the newly mown grass. Rain comin' down, but I know the clouds will pass
Quote by Tone Deaf
Thanks for all the help, guys.

I really like the sounds of Sunshine. I assume playing it in accoustic wouldn't be hard? I mean. I know nothing about guitar. I'm the bassist in the ordeal D:

I like the tune to Seven Nation Army... but it's going to need an overhaul before it's gonna be anything we would want to play publicly. Mostly the voice. I just don't like that style of singing. But, hey, to each his own.

Also. We have picked Californication as our long-term goal :3

Nice choice with Cali, once you practice it it is a really simple song, but you feel real accomplished when you finish t the first time. Was the first song I learned on bass, love jamming along to it whenever I play lol.