hey UG,
whats your opinions on the Seymour Duncan '78 model. What kind of stuff is it best for?
Brown sound.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

brown sound? would it be fat and heavy? because I'm looking to put a humbucker in my strat. Possibly something towards Eddie Van Halen's tone
Brown sound IS Eddie Van Halen's tone.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
The Custom 78 is something you'd buy as the final piece of the puzzle when you've got the rest of Eddie's rig in place - if you've only got a Valvetronix then there's no point spending so much money on a pickup, something like the Custom Custom would be plenty good enough.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Oh.. I'm not looking for an exact replica of his tone, I was just looking for a better humbucker rather than the stock one in my MIM
How much is it as in price? The price is on SD's site. $160 Its built to order, you gotta contact them directly to get it. I'm ordering mine in a few weeks.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Ahh sh*t sorry thought you mean the '78 model, that one is $160. I bought my SH-11 for about $80 like forsakn said. I like the SH-11 a lot but I'm really interested in the '78 model, heard really good things about it and wanna give it a shot. Feels right for what I'm looking for. A lower output more vintage sounding hum, the SH-11 has more output but its still a great pickup and a great alternative to the '78 model.
ah ic... So why would it be pointless getting a 78 model for my strat? there would be still a fair bit of difference, wouldn't there?
I never said its pointless, not sure what the other guys think though. If you really wanna give it a shot then get it. It costs about double the average p/up but if you're ok with that then go for it. I can't wait to get mine. If you end up not like it you can always sell it and accept a marginal loss. Heres a good video of a guy noodling around on his homemade Frankie using the '78
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uBVoMETu4s
sweet.. thanx for your help. Btw I was referring to steven seagull about it being pointless.. my bad
Is is possible to compare the custom Seymour Duncan custom to a Dimarzio PAF pro? Is there much of a difference?
Last edited by striker327 at Apr 29, 2008,
Quote by striker327
Is is possible to compare the custom Seymour Duncan custom to a Dimarzio PAF pro? Is there much of a difference?

Careful theres 2 and it can get confusing. Theres the SH-5 Custom and the SH-11 Custom Custom. The SH-11 is the one that would best replace the '78 Model Custom Shop. As for the DiMarzio, I dunno couldn't tell you. I'm not much of a fan of DiMarzio. Hopefully someone else will know.
ah thanx very much... sorry I don't know much about Seymour Duncan. But I quite keen on it. I'm pretty much looking for a humbucker that can handle a fair bit of distortion and sounds pretty heavy
Quote by striker327
ah thanx very much... sorry I don't know much about Seymour Duncan. But I quite keen on it. I'm pretty much looking for a humbucker that can handle a fair bit of distortion and sounds pretty heavy

Well the '78 Model will get you the Van Halen brown sound in a pickup but not completely of course as the rest depends on your amp and settings. If you're looking for a hum with some kick and distortion then I don't think the '78 is for you. Go on this page and listen to some of the pickups, their sound clips are really good as its all played by the same player, same settings and same guitar. So you get to hear the differences in each pickup and I found the clips are a very accurate portrait of how the pickup really sounds. http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/audio-samples/humbuckers_and/ I used that and found I liked the tone of the SH-11 the best, you might have different tastes. Either way its a great guide.
Quote by PerpetualBurn
Brown sound.

EDIT, Brown NOISE!!! Makes you soil yourself lols.
I can do no wrong, for I do not know what wrong is.

The Gear:
Squire 50th Stratocaster (Pimped Out)
Gibson SG Standard
Tuxedo Telecaster Terror (Own Build)
Nameless Les paul
Marshall MGFX 100 Combo