will a guitar amp last before blowing out if I play a bass through it?
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
depends, on what volume will you be playing at?
Quote by MeltingWaxFace
Your first mistake was getting a Chinese lady to cut your hair.

Your second mistake was getting someone who doesn't speak English to cut your hair.

Your third mistake was listening to your dicklock parents.

low. i'm gonna be practicing with it in my room
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
In reality its a game of Russian roulette that has a huge amount of factors--quality of the amp, how loud, your bass itself.

To quote Dirty Harry on his most quoted line, every time you plug into a guitar amp: "you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk? "

Which why its never a good idea in the first place and we advise everyone get a bass amp instead.

well i feel lucky, cause there's a school guitar amp that's been abused like this for a long time, and it's the same kind of amp i would be using for the the bass (MG).

so... thanks i guess...
Quote by SlinkyBlue

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
O.O

Noooooooooooooo!!!

A bass through an MG?! Good God, that will sound terrible. Want to add a Big Muff while you're at it?
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
It's for practicing...
Quote by SlinkyBlue

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
It will explode as soon as you plug it in. We have proven that time and time again. As soon as you connect a bass to a guitar amp it causes a violent chemical reaction that invariably will destroy you and your entire family along with most of your city. Don't believe me? Just search "Bass through guitar amp" on the UG search and you'll find out.
Quote by Psychedelico
It's for practicing...

Still though, it's going to sound absolutely terrible. One thing I've noticed is if you don't sound good, you mess up more, you're not as confident and plus, you sound bad! It might not sound that bad to you, but it will still psychologically effect you. Save up and get even a crappy bass amp, you'll sound so much better and not have to worry about a flaming amp in your room.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
I play my bass through a guitar amp. I've done this off and on for 2 years because:

I don't care if I blow it.
It came with my Squier electric guitar (it's a Fender Frontman 15G)
Granted it does sound bad, but it's better than nothing for hearing if my technique is good/bad.
I'm saving up money for a nice bass amp. I'm already playing gigs through a borrowed amp that stays between a studio and venues so I can't take it with me for practice at home. Since I'm doing gigs from time to time, I don't want to spend money on a practice bass amp when I could just get one big amp (i'm poor).

Now I'm pretty sure my amp is still intact because:

I play at the softest of volumes.
I was born lucky.

Many people in the bass forum are aware of this habit of mine, so I will probably announce to all if it ever does blow.

Bottom line: I would only recommend doing this if you have a guitar amp you don't mind losing, you're going to play quietly, and you feel lucky.
yeah, even the lowest quality bass amp would be better to practice with than a guitar amp in my opinion. It might work in whatever sense you wish to define that word, however the quality will be very poor.

I just generally go for the rule of use things for what they intend to be used for.
Quote by t3hrav3n
Still though, it's going to sound absolutely terrible. One thing I've noticed is if you don't sound good, you mess up more, you're not as confident and plus, you sound bad! It might not sound that bad to you, but it will still psychologically effect you. Save up and get even a crappy bass amp, you'll sound so much better and not have to worry about a flaming amp in your room.

Well i'm very arrogant so the confidence problem is solved, and i doubt the amp will literally go out in flames.

EDIT:

But... if even a really cheap bass amp will be better than a guitar amp, then i'll think about it.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Last edited by Psychedelico at Apr 28, 2008,