Hi, I'm a media student currently stuiding for my A2 exams, and I am researching the question "How far can crime in the media be held responsible for crimes in real life?"

I am covering the fields of music, games, and Television to see whether they influence real crimes, and if so, can they be held responsible.

This aint just about violence, I to also hear about drugs, murder, etc..., I want people to post thier view on whether these forms of media influence actual crimes.

I expect that lad who killed Dimebag will be mentioned a lot, but, although I think Dime was a ****in' legend, if too many people are posting on that topic, please discuss another subject, remember all crimes across TV, music, and games, as I need a varied response.

Please try to give detailed answers

Thanks for your time.

Remeber I want detailed viewpoint if possible.

Last edited by joeyplaysakkv at Apr 28, 2008,
I put it to everyone, chavs and non chavs alike, that if gangsta rap music were banned, about 97% of gang violence would end.

You do realise you've nothing left to fight over, right?
Quote by Benjibum
I put it to everyone, chavs and non chavs alike, that if gangsta rap music were banned, about 97% of gang violence would end.

It's not that, I think their cars run on bass frequency. They would just switch to bassy techno.

Oh dear god!!!
i dunno, games is what i know about so ill just say i was recently watching t.v. and g4 did a special on whether games cause violence, and they talked to the writers of grand theft preschool or something to that degree and they did a like 2 year study funded by the department of justice, and they say playing video games make boys less violent and get in less trouble(aparently the virginia tech shooter never played video games, i know its just one person but it could be used as a point in a paper?) heres a link to the book http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Theft-Childhood-Surprising-Violent/dp/0743299515/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209389689&sr=1-1
Oh I have no doubt that video games can make kids violent. That's why the games aren't supposed to be available to kids. It's sh*tty parenting that causes it is what it is.
I'd say that the internet is influencing some sorts of violence. What with all the 13 year old boys and 16 year old girls wanting to be internet stars, there's been a bunch of stories about groups them bashing, filming and posting on the net to get famous.
Not sure if the internet would be covered by your topic, but considering the internet is a pretty broad subject...
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by Benjibum

+100
Of course the media pepetuates violence.

Think about it, if there was no media sensationalism... if they just reported what happened, and that was that, there wouldn't have been a Virginia Tech shooting.

Cho did it to become famous. He wanted everybody to remember his name years down the road. He knew that the media would be all over the story.

I don't resent the media covering the event, what I resent is the fearmongering and sensationalism that went with it. It was one thing to report what happened, it was quite another thing entirely to spend weeks and months looking into the "back story"... "getting to know the killer"... "was he mentally disabled, was he not?".... etc.

I mean seriously, there was no reason to have the one year anniversarry a few weeks ago become a national media event, all that did was perpetuate the pain, sorrow, and grief that we at VT have been experiencing, and play right into the hands of a dead maniac.

Maybe if the news was about the news, and not the ratings, this never would have happened.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
i believe gangster rap from us to uk to germany and other places has messed up alot of youngsters!!! i they might have become different people without it
Well, you can't really target any one thing because some people are more responsible than others. Some can play all the violent videogames they want and still be sensible nonviolent people. Then there are the "monkey see monkey do" idiots out there.

One thing is for certain, though. The more violence and crime and such there is in the media, the more people accept it. While it's not obvious, everything you see in the media inadvertently leaks into your psyche.
Quote by fts666
i believe gangster rap from us to uk to germany and other places has messed up alot of youngsters!!! i they might have become different people without it

I listen to gangsta rap and dont break the law very often and when I do I'm usually drunk.
Quote by Benjibum

You know there are gangs in hardcore too. They're called "crews", but they are pretty gang-like. That's not to say all hardcore is violent and bad, because it's about 5%(this is just a random estimation) of the hardcore community who is like that, but it's still there. Same thing with the hip hop community, most of them aren't in gangs or gang influenced, but a few are. Seriously they're not fighting over gangster rap, they're fighting over money, territory, respect, and drug control. That was the stupidest statement I've ever heard.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
its weird. the media obviously has an influence, but i always think that violent films/tv/music/games just trigger things in some people. ive played violent games (manhunt and such like), listened to music with "explicit content", watched violent movies and so far i havent killed anyone, and i can speak for millions of people when i say that. admittedly im a lot more bitter and misanthropic than i was say 2 years ago but id say thats more down to getting older and realising things about the real world i didn't know about before. but its ridiculous for people just to blame the media on every high school shooting or teenage murder.
They don't do anything. Crappy parenting is what does it. Even if media were to do something, crappy parenting would still to be blame because it would be what was responsible for kids being exposed to unsuitable content.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Meths
They don't do anything. Crappy parenting is what does it. Even if media were to do something, crappy parenting would still to be blame because it would be what was responsible for kids being exposed to unsuitable content.
Kids aren't the only people who use media.

tbh, the effect of media on an individual depends on that individuals susceptibility to external stimuli and their rationalisation of that stimuli.

Does watching a violent movie/game make one believe that violent behaviour is ok? In some people probably yes, in others no.
bump, remember I need as many viewpoint as possible, so post, you must have a view on summat in my question
Introduction (definitions) + your opinion answering the question
The media does affect crime because.....
The media does not affect crime because......
Examples of crimes committed that have been influenced by the media
Arguments suggesting that it's the other way round... crimes influence media
Conclusion

Have a ****load of examples and quotes. Don't use Wikipedia. I have no idea about your course but this is how I'd answer the question. Could easily write 3000 words for this in a day. Then again I could be completely wrong
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Marshall JCM 800 4103 Combo
Roland Cube 60
Quote by rickmeister
Introduction (definitions) + your opinion answering the question
The media does affect crime because.....
The media does not affect crime because......
Examples of crimes committed that have been influenced by the media
Arguments suggesting that it's the other way round... crimes influence media
Conclusion

Have a ****load of examples and quotes. Don't use Wikipedia. I have no idea about your course but this is how I'd answer the question. Could easily write 3000 words for this in a day. Then again I could be completely wrong

ye but this part of my research is purely about WHAT PEOPLE THINK that is why i need peoples views
na, video games keeps the punk kids inside. hopefully they get addicted, though I dont like the cop killing elements of GTA and I can see why police guys i know dont like it. while a game like halo seems to be sound, and has enough stratergy and challenge to make it a much more productive game
Last edited by Def at May 2, 2008,
The west have like everywhere else been run more or less by traditions and norms, but now that the media is so insanely huuuge! everything has turned to a race for attention. Imean: if some freaky **** is going on in japan I know it in the matter of hours... Back in time you would basicly have no Idea before someone wrote a book about it.

the point is that you are sitting on the other side of the globe and Im helping you with your homework or whatevver.... that is actually pretty disturbing....
Stuff:VOX AD50VT
Gibson SG faded
Old steelstringed calssic
Hag Viking

Quote by SeveralSpecies
Well aren't you the ignorant asshat?
oh damn - i just read the rules, sorry 4 bumpin the thread, i didnt know that one, and btw, this is a an apologies 2 mods, coz i really need this thread 4 my work, not a bump
i presume this is for Media studies?

i do both media and sociology

so it helps, since in sociology you cover crime and the media
I thought they'd done away with the Critical Research exam this year? You poor kid :p

I think the most obvious thing you need to address is not whether the media influences crime, but whether crime influences the media. Let me put it this way - as soon as say...one gang-related murder, or stabbing happens in one part of the country, this occurrence instantly makes any story related to stabbing, gangs, or murder 100% more newsworthy, therefore we see an increase in the coverage of these stories. Now this alone doesn't make your average teen grab a knife and run riot in his neighbourhood, but it plants the seed in the collective mind of the public that there i some kind of epidemic in our country.

There was a point last year where three or four stabbings in London occurred in the space of about a month, and based on the amount of coverage they received an outsider could have easily formed the opinion that 90% of London is made up of gang members, with the other 10% being made up of sociopathic murderers.

Trust me...when it comes to Critical Research it pays to think outside of the box - imagine how many media students in the country take this paper, then imagine how many examiners are greeted with "GTA INFLUENCES VILOENCE", and then think about how long it's going to take for them to be sick of it. The key is making your piece interesting. Good luck!
Quote by joeyplaysakkv
Hi, I'm a media student currently stuiding for my A2 exams, and I am researching the question "How far can crime in the media be held responsible for crimes in real life?"

I am covering the fields of music, games, and Television to see whether they influence real crimes, and if so, can they be held responsible.

This aint just about violence, I to also hear about drugs, murder, etc..., I want people to post thier view on whether these forms of media influence actual crimes.

I expect that lad who killed Dimebag will be mentioned a lot, but, although I think Dime was a ****in' legend, if too many people are posting on that topic, please discuss another subject, remember all crimes across TV, music, and games, as I need a varied response.

Please try to give detailed answers

Thanks for your time.

Remeber I want detailed viewpoint if possible.

You are the media student dude, you tell us.
Quote by metallicat420
You are the media student dude, you tell us.

this is a research method, I need to find out the publics opinion, not wanting to sound moody or owt, but if I knew the answer/ didnt have to do this - I wouldnt
remember, keep your answers comin, I know this aint adding much but I think some responses so far have been helpful, but I need many more
I'm not sure if the media influences criminal acts. Sure we have all heard about people murdering and abusing people because they saw that in games or movies, but these games/movies are watched by millions of people and only a few turn criminal. I guess these people already (damn this is hard to say in english) had more chance of becoming criminal and the games and movies and such just triggered them. Offcourse you could blame the media for there actions but I think that if it isnt a the media, something else will eventually trigger these people.
~And the raindrops in the cars

Keep on falling from off the bars

Blocking out a good song

Playing on the radio~
I'm pretty sure it influences the "style" they use to carry out the crime, but I don't think a happy sane person will go rob a bank after watching "The Inside Man". If someone is that intent on committing a crime, they will do so regardless.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you... - Abomino Aetas
OK thanks for all your replys, u bin v. helpful, but keep em comin:

THE MORE I GET, THE BETTER MY ANSWERS GONNA BE