"Fretboard Logic" is mentioned a lot. I've also heard good things about "Music Theory for Guitarists: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know But Were Afraid to Ask", and Guitar Fretboard Workbook.

I have no problem getting all three books, or more even.

I know absolute nothing about musical theory, although musical intuitive I would like to think I am. Also everything besides the simple penatonic scale and barre chords is out of my playing ability, for the time being. So really, I'm starting as a beginner.

Thanks.
The Guitar Grimoire series is rather comprehensive but there's like 14 books
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
I personally prefer the 'search the internet for information' method, but hey, that's just my cheap way of doing things. You'll probably learn more your way. :P
sig goes here
ralph denyer - the guitar handbook

best guitar book ever written, covers everything from changing strings to complex theory. only book youll need
-------
Gear:
-------

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Washburn D-10 Acoustic
Santos Martinez SM-650 Classical
Marshall AVT 50 Valvestate 2000
Line 6 Pod XT
I agree with the internet thing - but the only think is that you're risking learning from people who just give you pure BS. But I mean, I'd say the average intelligent(ish) person can sift through that.
i understand the internet works great. but i need a book so that i can read everything in one place to just get a basic understanding, then take it to the internets.
"Music Theory for Guitarists: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know But Were Afraid to Ask"

I own it. It was recommended to me by other players. Lots of good stuff - general guitar maintenance, technique, and theory all in one. It's a good book, and I recommend it too.
i can't recommended any specific books but a nice any decent jazz theory or practical jazz book would have just what you need and you would learn a new style of music. But here's a site to get you started: www.justinguitar.com
Tonal Harmony by Stefan Kostka and Dorothy Payne is one of the best theory books ever. It's pretty much the standard theory textbook in the US, even though it has a few shortcomings. It does cost a lot, though, as it's a college textbook.
The book I used in my music theory class was really good.
Let me look for it and then I'll update my post.

EDIT:
Music in Theory and Practice - Bruce Benward
Author : Benward, Bruce
Title : Music in Theory and Practice
Format : PAPERBACK
Binding : Paperback
Edition : 7 PAP/COM
Publisher : McGraw-Hill College
Publication Date : Wed, Jun 25 2003
Pages : n/a
Weight : 1.75 lbs
Dimensions : 8.5 x 10.5 x 0.75 (W x H x D)
ISBN : 0072950692

One kicka$$ book.
Last edited by Anno[fzk] at Apr 29, 2008,
umm ibreathemusic.com and the best way to learn it is to TEACH YOUR SELF. yea learn ur scales wereever. but write out the chord progressions your self, wrtie your own arps. distinguish your own arps and come up with complex ones.

you dont need someone to tell you to use the Perfect Fourth of the major scale as only a passing tone. you find out what sounds good and doesnt

only way youll ever TRULY understand music theory
Quote by seymour_jackson
umm ibreathemusic.com and the best way to learn it is to TEACH YOUR SELF. yea learn ur scales wereever. but write out the chord progressions your self, wrtie your own arps. distinguish your own arps and come up with complex ones.

you dont need someone to tell you to use the Perfect Fourth of the major scale as only a passing tone. you find out what sounds good and doesnt

only way youll ever TRULY understand music theory

No, a teacher really is the best person to teach you music theory. You'll learn much more quickly with someone who knows what they're doing.
books are cool, but you definitely need a teacher that can explain it in terms you can use... theory is a bunch of formulae and concepts that will help your playing - and writing - massively but you have to learn how to use it...

a tritone substitution is of no value if you don't know where to put it... a scalewise progression is nothing more than an exercise unless you know what it sounds like and get where it goes...

so start hunting for a good teacher man... they'll tell you what books to get and make sure they show you how to analyse so you can eventually nut things out well for yourself.