well... i have some trouble here.. i simply cant figure out backing vocals, no matter how i try...

i love the backing vocals such as the ones in the song called DOST IMAM
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=86869134
in the chorus... it sounds so amazing...

can anyone tell me how to figure out such melodies?.. is there a technique or you just do it by ear?
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Well I mostly do it by ear, but there are short cuts you can use. For example, use chord notes. Thirds are always nice, a good majority of backing vocals are just thirds. If you want a more medieval sound, forths and fifths are the way to go. In the early days, fourths and fifths were all you used.

But really just a good understanding of music theory will make all these pieces and just about everything else about music fall into place. It's better to know stuff by heart than to cheat.
well... i know quite a lot about music theory... and yeah.. i also knew that thirds sound pretty nice... but i' not sure about major and minor thirds... i mostly play punkrock and stuff like that... so it's powerchords mostly .. you know what i mean...
-7-
-7-
-5-
so... i don't really know where to go with a major third and where with a minor
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Quote by Serjem
well... i have some trouble here.. i simply cant figure out backing vocals, no matter how i try...

i love the backing vocals such as the ones in the song called DOST IMAM
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=86869134
in the chorus... it sounds so amazing...

can anyone tell me how to figure out such melodies?.. is there a technique or you just do it by ear?

If you want to learn how to harmonize, that isn't the kind of music that you should be listening to. Half of what they were singing was really out of key. And the backing vocals sounded like belts and punk shouting.

Like stated before, if you stay with major or minor thirds you should be golden. Even if you did fifths and sometimes octaves sound alright. Just be creative. Do contrary motion for flavor. You can practice by putting on a cd and singing phrases up a third. It takes some practice but once you hear it you have it down.