Floyd Rose, Edge Systems, Vintage, 6 & 2 point systems, Bigsbys;

All of those above can fit to the majority of ALL guitars available on the market today, with exceptions of:

Plywood/Balsawood guitars, Occasionally Basswood too, it can rip the body out where the claw or stud's are as the wood is quite soft or weak.
I've had a case of this just a fortnight ago and it's a very awkward repair if it's the claw that's pull a chunk out of the body.

Plastic, never tried fitting something like this to a block of plastic, but I imagine it'd be quite fragile. (Unless proven wrong, I've never seen a 'plastic' guitar with one fitted).

Ceramicasters (Prove me wrong Invader Jim! Everyone else search for it above or in the threads if you need to).

Chambered bodies!
I had a guitarist I know route out his NEW LP (Gibson now use chambered bodies on many models, I'm not sure on which though).
The routing was done and it was a botch job from there, nothing could be done.
Wood filler was used to try restore the guitar back to it's original state.

Anyone else care to add to this & I'll edit it when needed.

------------------------

SG's are not to thin and won't lose there tone, it may reduce the strength of the headstock depending on the location of the locking nut, just use a graphite nut & locking-tuners.

LP's TOM/Wrap-Around bridges do not sit to high and the neck angle doesn't bother a trem system as long as it is routed correctly.
They DO NOT lose sustain like everyone say's unless your diving or pulling up every note you play.

------------------------

A guitar's tone does not change much at all either, obviously, it will change slightly, but unless your a pure audio-phile crying for the original tone., it won't matter.

Thank you.
It's worth stickying this IMO as there are thread's like this that pop up quite a few times a week.
If it's not worth the space, mod's can close it and/or delete it.

Thanks!
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by -MintSauce-
The vast majority of Ibanez RGs are basswood, and come fitted with Ibanez Edge tremelos.

Basswood + recessed two-way trem = possible.

Quote by Kingyem0c0re

Plywood/Balsawood guitars, Occasionally Basswood too, it can rip the body out where the claw or stud's are as the wood is quite soft or weak.
I've had a case of this just a fortnight ago and it's a very awkward repair if it's the claw that's pull a chunk out of the body.

I did say Occasionally, not all as I know most Ibanez guitar's are Basswood.
The guitar I stated was an Ibanez RG1570 with a 3/4 Inch chunk out of where the claw screws were.
Another guitar I saw (a non-branded strat guitar) had a chunk where the grain was crossing the body instead of running down the body.
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
Basswood, alder, ashen and a lot of other woods do actually hold screws rather badly. However strong these woods are, their fibres are quite brittle. Threads in this material easily pulvarise, especially when screws are taken out and in repeatedly or whenever alternating force is applied (i.e. when holding tremelos and strap pins). My solution to this problems is to drill a hole that is a few millimeters wider than the diameter of the screw, glue in a cylindrical plug of a tougher fibre wood like spruce and fit the screw in there.

I guarantee this will work strengthwise. I'm not sure however what it does with connections that actually transfer vibrations. When doing the screw holes for a vintage trem bridge this way I noticed no adverse effects, or any noticable effect at all for that matter, but others may have other experiences. For holding a tail piece or a set of Bigsby axle studs it should be OK.

I know that trem isn't a floyd, it's just an example.
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
You're not going to have issues with screws gutting the holes unless it's cheap wood. My Charvel is basswood and going on 20 years old, and has held up fine wood wise.
Quote by CJRocker
You're not going to have issues with screws gutting the holes unless it's cheap wood. My Charvel is basswood and going on 20 years old, and has held up fine wood wise.

Again, I didn't state all basswood.
Whether it was a bad piece of wood or like I said, the grain ran horizontal instead of vertical added towards this problem I don't fully know.
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
Good stuff. Although, if I remember right, an SG doesn't need much material removed for a locking nut, so it shouldn't be a strength problem (correct me if I'm wrong, I don't have an SG here right now).
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
Quote by AngusX
Good stuff. Although, if I remember right, an SG doesn't need much material removed for a locking nut, so it shouldn't be a strength problem (correct me if I'm wrong, I don't have an SG here right now).

If you just screw in a locking nut behind the actual nut/Kahler-USA Lock-Nut, a Washburn Wonderbar Lock-Nut or even the Schecter Plate-Lock-Nut's or use locking-tuners it's no problem.

Using an actual R3 Floyd Rose locking nut would require machining through the headstock to bolt it on into place.
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
not too bad really.
Not to hijack, but has anyone here actually used a super-vee? I'm curious, since I'd like one for my strat.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The Kahler Hybrid trem is ok.
I never got used to the feel of it compared to a Floyd Rose Unit.

The Super-Vee looks quite bulky at the back compared to a strat's usual trem.
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
^I didn't ask about the looks, I asked how well it stays in tune, how it feels, Etc... from people who have used it. not just looked at it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
If you just screw in a locking nut behind the actual nut/Kahler-USA Lock-Nut, a Washburn Wonderbar Lock-Nut or even the Schecter Plate-Lock-Nut's or use locking-tuners it's no problem.

Using an actual R3 Floyd Rose locking nut would require machining through the headstock to bolt it on into place.

I didn't think of a bolt through nut, you have a good point about that.

I was thinking of a screw in nut, I figured you could make that work. I've always tossed around the idea of a lock behind the nut, but I never liked the idea too much.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
Quote by Milaneus
Can I fit one on my Epiphone Les Paul-100? (Pics on my profile)

Short Answer:
Yes.

Long Answer:
You'll have to do some hellish amount of routing to make a Floyd Rose Unit fit (considering you want a Floyd Unit).
You'll then need a locking nut/locking tuners with a new graphite nut.

Have you used a Vibrato System before?
Do you know what your wanting?

Good Point:
IT WILL BE EXPENSIVE.
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
my charvette is plywood and is holding up well for a 20 something year old guitar with a licensed floyd rose
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
What drill bit will i have to use to put a OFR on a Fender Highway One?

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

Quote by KISSguitarist
What drill bit will i have to use to put a OFR on a Fender Highway One?

I'll need to check my bit catalog, as I think I marked it. I know you will need a chuck that takes 1/2 bits and a drill that looks like an Uzi to drive it. It's not too far over 3/8ths though.
This thread looks dead but oh well, I'm desperate. This is copied from my other post on main FR thread.

I recently went to Guitar Center to purchase a brand new Floyd Rose, and the guy that serviced me seemed to know what he was talking about. He said not to get the cheap ones [like the ones mentioned on Page 1 in the FR Ultimate thread] but instead he picked out a Takeuchi TRS-101. It looks great, but does anyone else have experience with this trem?

I did a slight background check and I found that Ibanez uses them in a lot of their models. Other than that, I have no clue how good this thing is, but I do know that I payed $115 for it.

I'm too afraid to drill the **** out of my guitar, so I think I'll take it in to get everything hollowed out at the very least. After that I can navigate my way from there.

Another small question is will this fit onto my Ibanez properly? It has a lot of volume knobs that I think may get in the way. Will they? I'm sure SOMEONE can help, seeing as how the GAX70 is fairly common.

XD ONE LAST QUESTION: How does it work? When I examined the trem parts, It didn't look like it even moves. Does the bar move the whole bridge once installed? IDK, the only trem I've EVER used is on a Guitar Hero controller.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a newb [one year]. But it would help to give me as much detail as possible. The guide only helps if I have everything setup.