Anyone read it or seen the film? Which do you reckon is better?

I personally think the book; Nicholson has got the character spot on, but I reckon McMurphy would have been a huge, redheaded lumberjack character. Nicholson was just too small!

Also, the book is slightly deeper than the film, going into the Cheifs past etc.

Anyway, thoughts? I still think both are excellent, very sad yet uplifting
Last edited by fender_696 at Apr 28, 2008,
Haven't read the book, but I loved the film.

Nicholson played a great part.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
I've seen the film. Enjoyed it a lot, I should watch it again sometime.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by fender_696
Also, the book is slightly deeper than the book, going into the Cheifs past etc.

But yes, it's a good film. I'm too old to read books now.
nicholson's best movie
the book was good but the movie was epic
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
I hardly ever read books and I haven't read this one but the movie is great.
I preferred the book tbh, although the film was damn good
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
never heard of it
why am i even posting?
you dont care
god im wasting my time
i could be going through scales on guitar
or doing some revision for my finals in four weeks
but no
instead i post pointless comments like this in forums that won't get me anywhere in life
my god i hate me
Quote by fender_696
Anyone read it or seen the book? Which do you reckon is better?

I personally think the book; Nicholson has got the character spot on, but I reckon McMurphy would have been a huge, redheaded lumberjack character. Nicholson was just too small!

Also, the book is slightly deeper than the book, going into the Cheifs past etc.

Anyway, thoughts? I still think both are excellent, very sad yet uplifting

What?

Anyways, I've read the book...it's pretty much amazing.
Quote by hen
What?

Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
I watched the movie again a few days ago, I like the real social implications that it puts out there for you to recieve, although I haven't read the book, I am considering picking it up because I love the story and would like to delve deeper into the plot
I still haven't seen it, I've been wanting to after I found out that James Hetfield wrote Sanitarium after watching the film, one of my favourite songs, I feel like I need to check out the film. Looks pretty depressing, though, I rented Planet Terror instead.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Both are amazing, a great example of how to properly turn a book into a movie.
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
I prefer the book. In the book, the story is narrated from the Chief's point of view and I think that provides a more engaging narrative. For example, the Chief sees himself as miniscule and McMurphy is massive, based on his own perceptions. The film also neglects the huge "Machine" metaphor that is a constant presence in the book, which also provides a deep insight into the Chief character.

That being said, I adore the film and cried when Billy died.
Quote by BlackLuster
DisgruntledDuck, I wish there were more people like you in the world.

Quote by Jaimz
You Sir, have my utmost respect

I have Jaimz' utmost respect and BlackLuster wishes that there were more people like me in the world!
^ really broke my heart

and the book, what they do to mac - closest i have ever been to crying over a book!
Reading the book now.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
The Book is great as it's from the chief's view, the film is from an impartial view and doesn't work as well imo even if it is still fantastic.
It's one of those that works better as a film.

A lot of it is more in Nicholson's energetic performance; and that's something that's really hard to get a cross in a book. Plus the film has a lot more ambiguity regarding the character's motives and feelings, whereas in the book it can be rather black and white.
I liked the movie a lot. It was interesting seeing actors I now regard as old when they were young (except Christopher Lloyd, who was merely less old).

However, the film didn't even touch Bromden's hallucinations of people as robots, which I thought was one of the most interesting parts of the book.