Hi ive just started to learn guitar again and was wondering what to practice, so far i can do seven nation army not up to full speed and bulls on parade, i mainly have issues with precision and speed which i guess is most of playing lol, just wondered what songs/scales to practice to improve. thanks

InfernoUk

EDIT: Also any help with picking techniques/ speed picking would be great as i want to try and play faster paced songs however i understand this will only come with lots of practice.
Last edited by InfernoUk at Apr 28, 2008,
Slipknot - Duality
verses are easy, but fast, might improve your speed
ok ill take a look, any scales, picking guides out there? ill take a look on this sites guide area in a few mins.
learn at least the A and E Minor pentatonic scales, and some chord shapes; you will probably be able to get chord diagrams etc off the internet somewhere.

for fast picking and whatnot, it is just practice, practice, and more of the same.
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
Quote by chillrock
learn at least the A and E Minor pentatonic scales, and some chord shapes; you will probably be able to get chord diagrams etc off the internet somewhere.

for fast picking and whatnot, it is just practice, practice, and more of the same.

ok ill take a look some chord diagrams confuse me but ive never spent any time looking at them

anyone have a direct link to an easy to understand diagram or something along those lines.

thanks
most guitar magazines have a page in them which explains all the techniques available to guitarists. it also introduces you to reading tablature. pick up a copy of a mag and see how it goes.
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
Quote by condork
Slipknot - Duality

For the exact same reason, I would suggest Iron Maiden's "The Trooper," "Run to the Hills" and "The Flight of Icarus."

Google "fretpro" it's a cool speed building/note memorization software, it also shows a bunch of scalles and numerous ways to do almost any chord.....it's free!

Good luck!
stole this from another thread, this is basically what i did to learn to alt pick correcly and effeciently.

Quote by sangosimo
first I would practice with one hand and alternate pick every string 3 times so you can get used to the motions. To ensure that you are alternate picking your first stroke will alternate on each string. So if you start with a

down stroke
E D-U-D
A U-D-U
D D-U-D
G U-D-U
B D-U-D
E U-D-U

up stroke
E U-D-U
A D-U-D
D U-D-U
G D-U-D
B U-D-U
E D-U-D

this will help you get the motion because at first it is really awkward to pass a string to do an up/down stroke. Sync up the hand and you are set.

the hardest part about learning to alternate pick is switching pickings when you change string(like not always starting off with a down stroke), and this will help you get comfortable with that
ok thanks, is there anywhere that is dead clear on scales? i downloaded that program and its a little hard to understand with markers all over the fretboard
i have the same problem but i think to get round it jsut move from chord shape to chord shape, each time gettin faster, thts what im doing
To use the program for scales, choose a root note and then choose the scale; start at the root note's fret and use it and three more frets to the right of it to get the scale shape.

For instance, set the "Scale Note" to F and choose "Pentatonic Blues," the shape that you'll use will start at the 1st fret and end at the 4th fret, it'll look something like:

0--0
0--0
0-00
0-0--
000-
0--0

Please forgive how that looks...I'm not a tabber. I hope this helps some.
Quote by condork
Slipknot - Duality

words fail me

Inferno, just spent some time learning open chords and get a feel for the guitar again...start with A E and D. Get used to the guitar again and get yourself playing some simple songs, scales can wait a little while, there's no point spamming your head trying to learn everything at once. Besides, you're not really going to be able to understand scales yet - you need to know the notes on the fretboard first and that takes a while to learn. It's also easier to learn the notes when you're actually using them, so just worry about getting yourself playing for the time being.

Here's a few simple songs to get you started....remember, these are just the chords, no riffs or lead parts.

Bad Moon Rising, Creedence Clearwater Revival - D A G
Knocking on Heaven's Door, Bob Dylan - G D Am7 C
Rockin in the Free World, Neil Young - E D C G Em A
Hey Joe, Jimi Hendrix - C G D A E
Wild Thing, The Troggs - A D E G
Live Forever, Oasis - G D Am7 C Fmaj7 Em
Every Rose Has It's Thorn, Poison - G C D Em Cadd9
Brown Eyed Girl, Van Morrison - G C D Em D7
Same Jeans, The View - C F G F#
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Apr 29, 2008,
thanks ill take a look, i have played guitar a while ago when i was younger but never really was very good as i played violin for 6 years before getting sick of it because i had to play boring stuff so i understand most of what to do, just guitar scales seem a little more complicated than violin was.
Guitar scales are no more complicated than violin scales...they're exactly the same in fact. All you need to do is learn where the notes are on the fretboard, all the theory still applies, G is still G, an octave is still an octave, a major third is still a major third etc
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
is there a tab view of scales like on the 6 lines, i find that easiest even on violin i had that until i memorized them, thanks for any replies