I did a search and didn't find anything so I thought I'd ask.

I know what a key signature is when looking at sheet music, but I have no idea how to interpret it. So I ask, how can one figure this out???

Any help or links would be appreciated.
Quote by Vagabond21
I did a search and didn't find anything so I thought I'd ask.

I know what a key signature is when looking at sheet music, but I have no idea how to interpret it. So I ask, how can one figure this out???

Any help or links would be appreciated.

Memorize your circle of fifths. Know that 3 sharps is A major or F# minor. That way you don't have to think about it. You know. And then you know what will sound good in that key. It also helps to know the order of sharps and flats.

Flats
BEADGCF
Sharps
FCGDAEB
Chulahoma, amazing album.

Here is a trick, if your key consists of sharps, go to the last sharp and look up on line and that is your key

If it is flats, go to the second to last flat and that is your key, however, remember that this will give you the major key, so you have to go to the sixth for your minor key...you can tell if it is major or minor usually by the first/last note and chord in the song

Example, three flats listed on your key signature, you go to the second to last flat and you see it is Eb. that is you major key, count up a sixth, and you are in c minor. Eventually you will memorize this

In sharps, if you have one sharp, it'll be on F, look up one bar and that is the G on a treble clef, thus you are in the key of G!

I'm assuming you are reading treble clef. Use this method, it's much easier than memorizing the circle of fifths if you haven't been taught music in your life, but this is kind of a cheese way of doing it.

peace
To be the last one
who will sing you to sleep...

christie.FRONT.drive
Quote by Vagabond21
thanks so much.

Anyone have any links that could be helpful?

http://www.8notes.com/theory/

Go down to lesson 14 and it explains what key signatures are and how to get remember them all. The way that the other guy told you was pretty good if you can't remember it though but this way explains what they are. I would advise using both.

Also I'm still learning that theory, I'm up to lesson 20.