Hey guys. I'm new at guitar and I usually just play for 15 minutes or so a day depending on how interested I am. My question is this... do most of you play with your guitars plugged into the amp when you're practicing? I normally don't even plug mine in and just play on the natural string noises. But it's probably because i have a crappy amp that doesn't sound very good anyways....
yeah i have a line 6 30 watt amp i love plugged in
Quote by original_idiot
Jew Trouble

Quote by guitarmang93
Nah i love the feeling of poo coming out. Its like being reverse ass ****ed.

Quote by jemocam
Lets teach them the meaning of CROTCH VIOLENCE!!!

GO GNOME OR GO HOME!

Join My Group!

Free The Pear!

Band's Myspace
Always play through your amp unless you just wanna play acoustic. your mistakes will become more apparent through a speaker.....
Well it depends what I am playing really... well that's not true, I prefer to plug in my guitar for everything. Mostly to hear if my hand positions are correct, especially getting that palm mute right if i'm playing something with a distortion. Also helps to hear the difference in sounds when different pickups are being used and also to hear what changes when you pick (or pluck) the strings in different spots, ie, closer to the bridge or closer to the neck.

Also, if you are fingerpicking, it helps to hear how much louder your thumb is making your bass notes, can be rather daunting to hear how much your bass if over powering your higher notes, or the melody. Listening can help determine how much harder you need to hit the strings, or adjust volumes, whatever.

Hope that helps...
Yeah, I practice with it plugged in. There aren't many greater sounds than that of an electric guitar pumped through an amp.
I think that if you play even just practicing is better if you play through an amp just because it gives you a chance to play with the sounds and the veriety of noises your amp can put out.
It depends. I tend to do half and half depending on if I just want to have a quick strum or a long playing session. I disagree with gregg_freeman. Unless you're playing clean through your amp mistakes are not more apparent. Playing without being plugged in can help you correct mistakes in your technique. If what you play sounds crap without your amp then it'll sound 10 times as wank through an amp. Distrtion covers up a multitude of sins.
Quote by G-Dog_666
Distrtion covers up a multitude of sins.

Only to the untrained ear....
^Exactly. This dude said he hasn't been playing that long. So if he plugs in and pumps up the distortion he won't be able to hear his mistakes too well.
Quote by G-Dog_666
^Exactly. This dude said he hasn't been playing that long. So if he plugs in and pumps up the distortion he won't be able to hear his mistakes too well.

He (The topic starter) didn't say anything about "pumping up the distortion". Nor is it some kind of rule that any guitar plugged into an amp needs to have the distortion all the way up. Many people can and do play clean.
I wasn't saying that the TS was talking explicitly about using distortion I was merely pointing out that it normaly hinders rather than helps people that are new to the instrument. I don't know about your personally but I liked cranking up the distortion because I thought it sounded better, I now know it actually sounded like crap. I don't think I'm alone in doing that.
I normally play with my amp on unless my practice sesssion is going to be short. It is harder for me to hear every note I play without the amp. If I am playing a song or anything like that than I always use my amp. I guess it just depends on what I am doing.
I always try to practice with my amp
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
Quote by Exodus04
Hey guys. I'm new at guitar and I usually just play for 15 minutes or so a day depending on how interested I am.

I would like to comment of the 15 minutes you mentioned. It takes me at least 15 minutes just to get warmed up, otherwise my hands don't work very well.
As for the amp, I almost never practice without an amp. I'll sit in the living room with the TV on and my amp turned low and I'll just practice chord changes and work on barre chords, and play a few different licks that I know.

If your amp sucks and you're only playing for 15 minutes a day, I would say there is a pretty good chance that you'll stop playing all together fairly soon.

Look into a Micro Cube amp. It can run on 6 AA batteries and it sounds pretty good. I found it on sale for around $94.
Quote by SnoDog
He (The topic starter) didn't say anything about "pumping up the distortion". Nor is it some kind of rule that any guitar plugged into an amp needs to have the distortion all the way up. Many people can and do play clean.

I normally practise on clean, and when I practice on overdrive, I have the gain at about 5-7.
Set-Up:
- Ibanez RGA42FM
- Epiphone Les Paul Special II
- Crate 15W Amp
- Boss MT-2 Metal Zone Pedal
- Line 6 Pocket Pod

- Peavey International II Drum Set (Cherry Red)
- Zildjian Cymbals
- Evans Heads with Remo E-Rings
If I'm just practicing I'll play without my amp, I find it easier to notice mistakes that way. If I'm practicing by playing along to a song I'll use my amp or Guitar Rig 2.
i practice with my amp on. when i play with distortion its about half way. normally when i pracice i practice with the setup i would use in a live gig. dunno if that helps. but i think its better to practice with the amp, distortion or clean.
i don't tend to practice with an amp (well... only because it broke and had to be chucked) i find it easier to learn a song without an amp first and just play along to the song and make sure i get everything right and then when i get chance to use my dads amp or one at college i'll practice the song i learnt and finish off what some tabs don't have 'coz not all tabs have the little bits in the song which i tend to notice so i just add them in when i get to an amp coz i can hear it and make it sound like the actual thing kinda :S but yeah just do whatever feels comfortable to you
[He who makes a beast out of himself, Gets rid of the pain of being a man]
Depends. If I'm playing at night, I won't turn the amp on(100w tube amp can be very loud, don't want to wake anyone) but if its during the day I'll most likely turn it on.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
i play with my amp, but more so to piss off my dad than anything, although it does make it easier for me to hear the buzz if i fret poorly, with or without distortion,

so bottom line, when i practice seriously i play with it on, if im just absent mindly playing some stairway while watching tv or whatever, i dont plug in
Turquoise Team Beasts!
I don't practice with my amp on much anymore (amp's crappy) but I recently plugged in and played this one Paul Gilbert lick I thought I had down cleanly at the tempo I had it at, turned out I was getting some string noise that I was somehow unable to hear playing acoustically. I was playing on clean. I won't bother with distortion unless I have the song/solo or whatever it may be perfected even if at a slower tempo, otherwise it sounds really ****ey (amp's crappy).
Originally Posted by SkyValley
yeah im a virgin but im also pretty good at things like ping-pong and drawing pictures of people playing water polo so it balances out