I've seen these guys being mentioned a fair few times around the forums, but I couldn't find a thread for discussion about them.

So, Marillion!

What are your favourite albums and songs? Are you a fan of Fish era or H era? Or both? Did you like the Somewhere Else album?
Misplaced Childhood, Script For A Jester's Tear, Fugazi are my favorite albums. Not too big a fan of the later stuff.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
I find that I can listen to their early albums from start to finish easily, but I can't do that with their more recent work, although I tend to prefer singular songs from the Hogarth era. Hogarth is one of my favourite vocalists, too.

The last album was a real let-down. My friend's heard some of the new tracks they're working on though, and says that it's sounding really promising at the moment.
im really looking forward to hearing the new stuff, ive beeen getting their newsletter updates and it sounds really genuine and promising
going to see them in July , ive not actually heard much of there stuff (despite prog being my true musical love). can anyone recommend there best work
" Nature has given us two ears, two eyes, and but one tongue-to the end that we should hear and see more than we speak. "
- Socrates

Winner of the John Lewis and Cambridgeshire Music young musician Award 2008
I love Marillion.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

Quote by ChillofWinter
going to see them in July , ive not actually heard much of there stuff (despite prog being my true musical love). can anyone recommend there best work

Fish Era: They won't play any of this live (Fish left after four albums), but it's bloody awesome stuff. Try the Script For A Jester's Tear and Clutching At Straws albums.

If you just want some tracks to check out, try 'Incommunicado', 'Script For A Jester's Tear', 'Jigsaw', 'Kayleigh'... Just a few of my favourites from that era.

Hogarth Era: Brave is a pretty intense and progressive album - a lot of fans say it's their masterpiece. Marbles is another highly-recommended album, and my personal favourite at the moment is Anoraknophobia.

My favourite tracks are probably 'When I Meet God', 'Genie', 'Fantastic Place', 'Afraid Of Sunlight', 'Living With The Big Lie', 'Man Of A Thousand Faces', 'The King Of Sunset Town'... I could go on all night.

I'm seeing them in November, can't wait!
Pre-Fish's exit, they were one of the best bands of all time. Sadly, he went off for a solo carrear, but yeah, never mind. =(

Listening to their entire "Fish" catalogue as I type this. Misplaced Childhood ATM. Sadly I can't find Script (I think it's in the car) and it's my favourite album. They're all good, though. lol

Favourite song would be Forgotten Sons. *points to signature*

YJ
私は嵐の午前
Je suis la tempête
I am the Storm
Marillon is really one of the only neo prog bands I like, the rest of the genre is a bit dry for prog
Dream Theater FTW
i've heard a few songs off Script For A Jester's Tear and really liked them. i'm gonna check out the album, but anyone else got some more recommendations?
Quote by lobster624
i've heard a few songs off Script For A Jester's Tear and really liked them. i'm gonna check out the album, but anyone else got some more recommendations?

Misplaced Childhood - all of it lol.

It's pretty much one song anyway.

And the guitar parts are really cool, (at least I think so) they always make me play it back and go, "Why can't I write a melody/lick/fill like that?".
I had to bump this up because I've just discovered these guys through (obviously, I guess) Kayleigh. I then went and downloaded Misplaced Childhood and everything else from the '80s, and I'm pretty hooked - they're like a more listenable '70s Genesis (together with Fish being a more listenable version of Gabriel, IMO)!

So yeah, I like 'em. Great band, which I'm surprised to have missed for so long.

(Say, offtopic, but how do I get my custom description to appear underneath my username on posts I make? I notice you all have them showing, but I can't get mine to show for some reason. Little help? )
Last edited by DaFjory at Oct 18, 2008,
They came from my town, dude!

But yeah, I'd still love them anyway. I like anything prog rock, and they sound so much like Phil Collins era Genesis.
I've only heard their singles/most popular songs though, so I presume they can be even more adventurous than what I've heard so far.
Their lyrics have always been great too.
And who would have guessed - I first heard Kayleigh when I tried to sing it in Singstars 80s.

Also:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHl4M2D6YUE&feature=related
The post above was created by a computer.
But WormGod helped make it a bit.
Blame any typos on said computer.

Numéro Sept de l'Alliance de Wii
^ That video's a classic! I believe Hogarth said that the crowd were doing such a good job themselves that he just left them to it! I would have loved to be there for it, must have been an amazing atmosphere. Hopefully Marillion will record a version of the song someday...

Quote by DaFjory

(Say, offtopic, but how do I get my custom description to appear underneath my username on posts I make? I notice you all have them showing, but I can't get mine to show for some reason. Little help? )

If you click Control Panel (way to the left of the Search bar), then 'Edit Profile', you can enter a Custom User Title.

First Marillion gig for me on Sunday. Can't wait! The new double album is pretty damn good, although I've not listened to the second disc much. But I absolutely adore 'This Train Is My Life'. Brilliant track.