So I might be getting a mandolin. All are quite expensive except this one. I've always loved folk instruments, and was deciding between banjo, uku, and mando, and decided for the mandolin.

So any of you guys play it? Is the one I chose any good?

I quite like it cause it's amplifiable, got a single coil pickup there.

What are your thoughts?
Last edited by Deagle-Eyes at Apr 28, 2008,
I honestly see no need for amping up a mandolin by a pick up. A simple mic set-up would be the recommended way to go for a gig unless you're gonna use some pedals or something.

1. Do you plan on using pedals? Why?

2. Do you gig? If so, how big are the venues you plan to/already do gig in?

3. Uku's rock! (See: Somewhere over the rainbow What a wonderful World)
Quote by Grundy0
Never forget what really matters in life, friends and family.
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
its a good instrument to learn, not too hard, i dont know that brand or anything, but it looks like the pickup is mounted in the body, which would mess up the soundboard, id suggest getting a decent acoustic and buying, or making, a piezo transducer (they arent hard to make and a far better for amping acoustics than electromagnetic pickups)
Quote by strq010
this guy, Nihil, is currently my hero.

Quote by clincher09
Why is Jesus a dinosaur?
Quote by Nihil
its a good instrument to learn, not too hard, i dont know that brand or anything, but it looks like the pickup is mounted in the body, which would mess up the soundboard, id suggest getting a decent acoustic and buying, or making, a piezo transducer (they arent hard to make and a far better for amping acoustics than electromagnetic pickups)

I'm getting it as a present, and I don't think I can't ask anything else. Will it sound bad when I play the mandolin acoustic?

Thanks in advance.
Quote by americablanco
I honestly see no need for amping up a mandolin by a pick up. A simple mic set-up would be the recommended way to go for a gig unless you're gonna use some pedals or something.

1. Do you plan on using pedals? Why?

2. Do you gig? If so, how big are the venues you plan to/already do gig in?

3. Uku's rock! (See: Somewhere over the rainbow What a wonderful World)

Basically, it's the cheapest I've seen on the net. DO you know any other cheaper completely acoustic mando?
Quote by Deagle-Eyes
Basically, it's the cheapest I've seen on the net. DO you know any other cheaper completely acoustic mando?

I'll help you out on a search and I'll keep you updated, but the only mandolins I play are from school and I don't know how much they costs but they certainly did play well.
Quote by Grundy0
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
Quote by americablanco
I'll help you out on a search and I'll keep you updated, but the only mandolins I play are from school and I don't know how much they costs but they certainly did play well.

Thanks mate, I really appreciate that.

Cause the uku is quite cheap too, but I don't think I'll get such an AWESOME tone out of it.
Quote by Deagle-Eyes
Thanks mate, I really appreciate that.

Cause the uku is quite cheap too, but I don't think I'll get such an AWESOME tone out of it.

NP, at elderly.com there is a wide variety of mandolins, from A to F styles. Heres what I found in order of price range for the new ones:

Its all in US currency, I don't know what their shipping policies are though.

Edit: its an extra 130 USD to ship to Spain
Quote by Grundy0
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
Last edited by americablanco at Apr 28, 2008,
Quote by americablanco
NP, at elderly.com there is a wide variety of mandolins, from A to F styles. Heres what I found in order of price range for the new ones:

Its all in US currency, I don't know what their shipping policies are though.

I'd get too much shipping cost since I live in EU. Still, do you think the pickup would make the acoustic sound worse? I just want it for fun. I don't want to become a professional mandolinist.

:P
Well, I see how a pick up would disrupt the tone a bit when listening to the acoustics, but I don't think it would be by much. (Did you notice the edit? 83 euros for shipping.)
Quote by Grundy0
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
Quote by americablanco
Well, I see how a pick up would disrupt the tone a bit when listening to the acoustics, but I don't think it would be by much. (Did you notice the edit? 83 euros for shipping.)

Ah yeah! Lol way too much! Hahah
I think i'm gonna get the 85 euro one I found with the pick up though...
lol. Go for it. Become the mandoline player you always wanted to be! Its not that hard at all, but chords are something else entirely. (Learn: "Besame Mucho" to use the seductive powers of it)
Quote by Grundy0
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
A friend of mine at school has a mandolin. I have played it a few times and can say that it's a nice change and its really quite fun to play. I don't know anything about it really, but I do/did know a few chords (Am, C, D, D7, E, Em, F, G, G7).
Used mandolins are cheap and rarely "abused". I've got a Dean TNA I got for $150 that I'm very pleased with. I know a pawnshop that's got a neat old Kay mandolin with pick-up for like $99. I know that doesn't help you in Europe but if you can do your own set-up find a pawnshop! I'm after a 5-string banjo too now. The mando's a LOT of fun and will help your guitar playing a bit...makes me think more linearly on the guitar.
I play the 5 string banjo (loud, obnoxious, fun instrument btw), electric & acoustic guitar, and mandolin. I have an inexpensive spruce Hohner F style mandolin that does not have a pickup but it sounds decent. My Dad & brother also play the mandolin some, and Dad has a couple of expensive high end mandolins so I've heard and played some that have excellent tone.

I would really think twice about getting that mandolin ... the way a mandolin produces it's tone is primarily for the top to vibrate, and that mandolin has a pickup mounted smack in the middle of the soundboard. I don't see how you could get a decent acoustic tone out of it. Also it's constructed of basswood which is a poor choice of wood for a mandolin. Mandolins really need a tight or dense grained wood such as spruce or maple for them to ring out in that ethereal high pitched tone they are known for. I agree it's best to mic a mandolin, but if you really want a pickup look for one with an under the bridge transducer pickup. They don't have little to no effect on the acoustic sound because they are basically just a wire laying under the bridge run to a 1/4" jack. There are some pretty cheap mandolins that already have transducers installed.

As far as playing learn G, C, D, & Em chord chops and a few strums and you can play rhythm to thousands of Bluegrass/folk songs very quickly. Good luck, acoustic instruments are fun.
If you plan to gig with the mando, I highly recommend that you get one with a pick up. Being miced on stage can lead to all sorts of problems, primarily that you have to keep the mando in more or less the same position, at the same distance from the mic for a consistent sound. Try it for more than 10 mins and you'll see that it's no fun.

I have a hand-made mandolin that cost me $200US. Cool eh? I bought it from Bolivia though
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
If you plan to gig with the mando, I highly recommend that you get one with a pick up. Being miced on stage can lead to all sorts of problems, primarily that you have to keep the mando in more or less the same position, at the same distance from the mic for a consistent sound. Try it for more than 10 mins and you'll see that it's no fun.

I have a hand-made mandolin that cost me $200US. Cool eh? I bought it from Bolivia though

i dont think its that big a deal. tons of bluegrass players use just a regular mic. its good because you can back off it for rhythm and then come close for solos.

anyway, have a mandolin. i should play it more. you should know its tuned in fifths unlike the guitar so the scales are a little different. on guitar, scales are usually 2-3 notes per string. on mandolin, they are usually 4 notes per string. chords arent too hard though. also, look in pawn shops. i got mine or 99 bucks at one.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
i dont think its that big a deal. tons of bluegrass players use just a regular mic. its good because you can back off it for rhythm and then come close for solos.

It's ok if you're sitting in a chair but I'm not a fan of standing in the same place for an entire gig

Personal preference of course.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud