I'm sure a lot of you have seen and/or played the fender squire that comes with the little starter amp in the package deal thing.

I found mine a few days ago from when I was younger and I figured why the hell couldn't I customize it.

I'm new to this so I ask, is this a good idea? are there plenty of parts available that would fit this guitar?
well i guess since it is a squier you can just route it if some parts don't fit i'd say go for it
Quote by Dillona
I think I want to have sex with you.

On topic: No, I haven't met any famous artists.

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah we're all dead now. Turns out we've been in hell all along.

About the LHC

no matter what you do to it, its still a squire...

but go for it and if it sounds/plays good, then you did an amazing job.
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
Cool...

I'm thinking I can make this thing look and sound great with a little time and money.

edit:
Quote by icon_player_5
no matter what you do to it, its still a squire...

but go for it and if it sounds/plays good, then you did an amazing job.

Not if I sand off the name... muahahha

yeah youre right though

what would be some good places to start?

Basically I'm asking what sucks the worst about the squire... action?
Last edited by Vagabond21 at Apr 28, 2008,
It's a very good idea, happy building!
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
well, i would say go with a different neck, body, pickups, and bridge...

that would make it decent :P
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
I'm considering replacing the pickups and bridge...

Would that make a noticable difference???
The things that make a squire bad very between models. Since yours came from the value pack I can assume that the body is made of agathis, which is not a very good wood but there are some things you can do to improve that.
First disassemble the whole thing. Then sand the finish off of the body. I recomend staining it and then coating it with a light nitrocellulose finish. Then wet sand and polish that new finish. Squire necks are junk as well so you'll need a new one. WD or all parts.com make better replacements at a reasonable price. Pop in some new pickups and it should make it a better guitar.

EDIT: the refinishing in this fashion will allow the wood to breathe more and resonate better
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Last edited by ValoRhoads at Apr 28, 2008,
Quote by ValoRhoads
The things that make a squire bad very between models. Since yours came from the value pack I can assume that the body is made of agathis, which is not a very good wood but there are some things you can do to improve that.
First disassemble the whole thing. Then sand the finish off of the body. I recomend staining it and then coating it with a light nitrocellulose finish. Then wet sand and polish that new finish. Squire necks are junk as well so you'll need a new one. WD or all parts.com make better replacements at a reasonable price. Pop is some new pickups and it should make it a better guitar.

Interesting...

what does WD stand for?
it's the name of a company, i just know the acronym but I think the sight is www.wdguitars.com

EDIT: no it isn't I just tried it, go with www.allparts.com, they have good necks there that will bolt right on,
Cool thanks for the help.

Would replacing the bridge have any benefits?

The action around the 11th fret and higher frets is pretty bad. Would this be a truss rod or bridge problem. The neck doesn't look too warped or anything.
Quote by Vagabond21
Cool thanks for the help.

Would replacing the bridge have any benefits?

The action around the 11th fret and higher frets is pretty bad. Would this be a truss rod or bridge problem. The neck doesn't look too warped or anything.

The problem is most likely the truss rod, most adjustments are hard to see looking at the neck, but by measuring the distance of the strings to the frets you can really see the difference. It could also be that the bridge is not set up right. IME the stock Squire bridge isn't that great so changing it could only help the playablility of the guitar, once again www.allparts.com is a great place to get them or www.stewmac.com. Stewmac also has TONS of info on souping up axes, go to the sight and click on free information. It's a treasure trove of info!
Quote by ValoRhoads
The problem is most likely the truss rod, most adjustments are hard to see looking at the neck, but by measuring the distance of the strings to the frets you can really see the difference. It could also be that the bridge is not set up right. IME the stock Squire bridge isn't that great so changing it could only help the playablility of the guitar, once again www.allparts.com is a great place to get them or www.stewmac.com. Stewmac also has TONS of info on souping up axes, go to the sight and click on free information. It's a treasure trove of info!

You're the man...
Quote by Vagabond21
You're the man...

Thanks! I refinish axes a good bit. I'm doing a finish on my 6th custom job right now. It's an Ibanez RG470. I stained it forest green and left a natural binding stripe around the body. I gotta do the sealer and nitro the next time the weather is right but it is gonna look amazing when I'm done. I'll post some picks soon.
Quote by ValoRhoads
Thanks! I refinish axes a good bit. I'm doing a finish on my 6th custom job right now. It's an Ibanez RG470. I stained it forest green and left a natural binding stripe around the body. I gotta do the sealer and nitro the next time the weather is right but it is gonna look amazing when I'm done. I'll post some picks soon.

Sweet. You sell them when you're done, keep em, or just customize them for people?
The neck itself on a squire isnt that bad its the fret work they do to em. Mine plays really good after I put stainless frets in it. But is a budget buster if you have to pay somebody else to do it. If you have a fixed bridge it wont make a huge difference. But the stock wammy is junk. The knife edges were wasted on mine new. But I havent found an aftermarket wammy that drops in with out moving the pins. And the electronics definatly have to go. If you have the stuff laying around to rebuild one then they are good projects. But not the way to go if your going to have to spend a bunch of cash.
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned guitarfetish.com. While not the namebranded parts you find at the other sites listed in this discussion, they do have good stuff. And lotsa stuff. BTW, you'll have a hard time removing the poly finish on that guitar without ruining the body, if you aren't an experienced refinnisher. Here's what I recommend (let's assume that this guitar is a strat):

1: Clean it from top to bottom with lighter fluid. Yep, that's what I said. Get any gunk off and then hit the body with a guitar polish or wax, and rub a little lemon oil in the fret board.

2: Restring with new strings. Moving to pure nickel type strings in a heavier gauge does wonders for tone, really gives it a glassier, classic blues sound.

3: Then adjust the truss rod. Click here for Fender's Strat setup guide.

3: Once the action is good, then take a look at what you have and what you want. Make a list of wants and needs. Do you want to make it sound better? Look better? Play better?

4: Easy upgrades for looks are: Change out the pick guard with a tortoise shell or Mother of Pearl one. Get some strap locks.

5: You can improve the sound and sustain by getting Tusq or some other brand of composite material saddles for the bridge. That should be cheap. If you prefer a more classic look, get metal ones. Your tone should improve somewhat by doing this.

6: As you get more confident, you can change out the tuners and the pickups. These both require actual alterations to the guitar, as you'll have to solder the PuPs, and not all tuners use the same hole size.

7: More difficult: Change the nut. The nut will help a lot as it's probably hollow plastic. A Tusq nut will really be good.
Hey everybody, I've got a Squire deluxe fat strat with the standard single coil pickups cheapies that they put on all of them. My question is if I put Fender single coils (mexican grade) on my Squire will it sound much better.? Is there a big enough difference to bother, or can you really barely tell the difference? Thanks for help.
~JP~
Quote by icon_player_5
well, i would say go with a different neck, body, pickups, and bridge...

that would make it decent :P

But keep the strings, and tuners. That's what Squire is known for.

On a serious note. It couldn't hurt it by customizing the **** out of it.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Have fun with it. It's most likely plywood, which means it will never be a great body to work with... however, for cheap you can make it play and sound pretty nice.

If nothing else, it will build your confidence in modifying nicer guitars later on.

To the guy who says "No matter what you do to it, its still a Squier".... well, I've got some Squiers that outplay $1000+ guitars regularly. I love the look on a players face when I tell them its a $100 guitar they're holding after they tell me they love it.

The player pack guitars are mostly plywood, though, which is **** for tone... it has no attack and no sustain. You could even use the neck on an Ebay body or something... Don't be afraid to tear it apart.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
Quote by ValoRhoads
First disassemble the whole thing. Then sand the finish off of the body. I recomend staining it and then coating it with a light nitrocellulose finish. Then wet sand and polish that new finish. Squire necks are junk as well so you'll need a new one. WD or all parts.com make better replacements at a reasonable price. Pop in some new pickups and it should make it a better guitar.

EDIT: the refinishing in this fashion will allow the wood to breathe more and resonate better

Believe it or not, but I played a Squier Hello Kitty guitar today (death metal through a 6505 ) and the neck felt AMAZING for what it was! But then, that's the pink Hello Kitty....
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
Believe it or not, but I played a Squier Hello Kitty guitar today (death metal through a 6505 ) and the neck felt AMAZING for what it was! But then, that's the pink Hello Kitty....
Teh Kitteh r teh pwnzorz!

On any Squier, I'd concentrate on Nut, Bridge, Fret leveling/dressing/polishing/set-up first, then move on to the tuners if necessary. Then the electronics. GFS and similar companies would be great resources for parts. Good quality/dollar. You could end up with an amazing player for not too many $ if you're careful and put a little effort into a Squier.

Just dumping money into expensive pickups won't get the same results.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I basicly ripped up the pickguard on mine to get a humbucker in. I took out the middle pickup added a killswitch(i was bored) put some nice tuners on it and stopblocked the bridge(or whatever its called) and i love how it sounds now.
Quote by Jaymz_515
One of my friends was thrown into the sun by a teacher for speaking in the library.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Teh Kitteh r teh pwnzorz!

On any Squier, I'd concentrate on Nut, Bridge, Fret leveling/dressing/polishing/set-up first, then move on to the tuners if necessary. Then the electronics. GFS and similar companies would be great resources for parts. Good quality/dollar. You could end up with an amazing player for not too many $ if you're careful and put a little effort into a Squier.

Just dumping money into expensive pickups won't get the same results.
Gold!

Vagabond21, if your starter pack guitar says Affinity, it's Alder, an excellent platform!

Absolutely!

There's a lot of great ideas and suggestions on this thread, and I am seriously considering giving my Squire an upgrade. My question is really not about where to concentrate. I know the bridge is numero uno on my list. But somebody I know wants to sell me his pickups off a Fender Strat (Mexican) and I'm not sure if those pickups are that much better than the one's I've already got on my Squire if at all. Maybe I need something better to make a real difference, I don't know. If anybody knows if it's worth the hassle to change out my Squire pickups for some Mexican Strat single coils let me know. Thanks.
~JP~
I just finished some upgrades on mine. I blacked out everything. I took a router to the cavity in neck of the body so I could fit a humbucker. I put a humbucker in the bridge to, and modded my pickguard to fit them. I installed my stock Les Paul pickups. I have the Fender SCN middle pickup in it. I screwed the bridge to the body, it keeps tune great now.

I would like to re-do the frets and nut though. I love the way this guitar plays but the frets do need work. I want to keep the body and neck, that way it will still be a squire in my eyes. I also would like to get a chrome or plastic painted chrome cover for the middle pickup, and a chrome switch knob. I just want to see how nice I can get it.

Sorry for the big pic

I bet the pickups that you put in made a big difference. When you use the neck pickup alone do you get a bluesy tone? And when you play the bridge pickup is it crisper than before and can you get chirps when you pinch the strings? You didn't have to do anything to the pickup switch did you? Is it still unmodified 5 point switch? Still looks good. . .even better, cover the middle pickup or put black one in.
~JP~
wd os warmouth
direct
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Quote by Jammy Pige
I bet the pickups that you put in made a big difference. When you use the neck pickup alone do you get a bluesy tone? And when you play the bridge pickup is it crisper than before and can you get chirps when you pinch the strings? You didn't have to do anything to the pickup switch did you? Is it still unmodified 5 point switch? Still looks good. . .even better, cover the middle pickup or put black one in.

Yes the neck is a little bluesy now, but way smoother. The bridge is more sharper and has more punch, pinches come through real good. I did not do anything to the 5 way switch, other then rewiring the bridge pickup on the 2nd tone knob. I am going to get a chrome SC middle cover and either a chrome or black switch tip. Then I will work on the neck and be done.