I'd like to see peoples opinions on this ...while picking up a new song should I try to pick it up by ear or go straight for guitar pro tabs?...I am a beginner and till now I was picking up songs by seeing the GP tabs...but I think that in that way Im neglecting my ear training...plz put ur views on this subject...
Quote by soumyabumba
I'd like to see peoples opinions on this ...while picking up a new song should I try to pick it up by ear or go straight for guitar pro tabs?...I am a beginner and till now I was picking up songs by seeing the GP tabs...but I think that in that way Im neglecting my ear training...plz put ur views on this subject...

I would always try to learn it by ear. Tab is good if you get stuck on something, but I would recommend always starting with the ear.

So many people get caught in this rut of reading tabs. You ask them to play anything and its like "hold on, let me pull out my tab book".

Use your ear - memorize - play

Use tab if you get stuck and/or cant figure something out by ear.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Apr 28, 2008,
Use your Ear! much more beneficial plus internet tabs are notoriously inaccurate anyways.

start with simple melodies, riffs, intros, etc and figure them out by ear. Work your way up to more complex songs.
Quote by GuitarMunky
I would always try to learn it by ear. Tab is good if you get stuck on something, but I would recommend always starting with the ear.

So many people get caught in this rut of reading tabs. You ask them to play anything and its like "hold on, let me pull out my tab book".

Use your ear - memorize - play

Use tab if you get stuck and/or cant figure something out by ear.

+1

People seem to forget that music is a hearning art and rely on tab. The problem is they never train there ear which is an important part of learning the instrument.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
Also, this relates a little to the thread tito has...

Learn by ear, but first try singing the part you'll transcribe. I've found that it's helped me internalize the material better, and have a more complete knowledge than fumbling around on my instrument to find the pitches.

The task of ear training might seem daunting at first, but just start simply and move your way up. I truly regret the fact that I did not start learning by ear until several years after I started playing.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
If you're starting out, learn some tabs just so you can quickly learn some music to play for your friends.

Once you get better, try transcribing some music by ear. However, if you try to learn some Yngwie or Vai, feel free to get a tab.
Definitely try everything by ear. Even though 50 percent of the time ill have to get the tabs (im a lazy bastard) it would be foolish of me to encourage against using your ear for most things.
When you first start out playing music chances are that you will not be able to figure songs out by ear at all, let alone well. I recommend tabs as a good starting place for beginner guitarists. Over the course of a few months your ear WILL improve (if you practice) which will make learning songs by ear much easier.

From this point you might want to try to learn a few simple songs by ear to continue developing your abilities. With enough practice you will be able to play songs by ear with relative ease.
I cant play by ear to save my life. I just got to the point to where I can tune my guitar by ear (always used digital tuner obviously ). So I would say to TRY your best playing by ear to get used to the tones of your guitar. Ya know?
Quote by Will_Minus
Columbine sounds like a cool name.

If you want controversy, call your band Seung-Hui Cho & The Tech Students.

Member of Les Paul Liberators
Click here if you have a Les Paul
Thanks to all...As many of u have already said I should try to work with my ears at first...if i get stuck I can resolve that part using the tabs...but with practice my accuracy should grow and I think I will have to see the tabs less often....

@psychodelia....thanks for the tip....