Okay, I know the major scale inside and out, up and down the fretboard. I'm not sure how this relates to the minor scale however.

I understand the patterns are the same for the major and minor scales, but the root notes and where you play the patterns are different. Let's say I'm playing a G-major scale using the E-shaped pattern with the root note on the 6th string, 3rd fret -- how would I switch to G-minor scale from there?
Last edited by chem1 at Apr 28, 2008,
I'll check out that vid after I'm done with this response.

Quick question -

In my previous example of playing the G-major scale with the E-Shape pattern, can I just shift that pattern toward the bridge 3 frets and be in the G-minor scale?
Last edited by chem1 at Apr 28, 2008,
Quote by chem1
I'll check out that vid after I'm done with this response.

Quick question -

In my previous example of playing the G-major scale with the E-Shape pattern, can I just shift that pattern toward the bridge 3 frets and be in the G-minor scale?

It sounds like you do know the major scale but, remember unless you can turn it into an improvised jam or actual music, you still have work to do. There's no point sticking around in the caged system learning everything in boxes, you need to get out of that when you have learnt where the notes are, start breaking the barriers in between shapes.

For G minor, you could just start on G, and play the g shape... but it sounds that your asking how to play it in E form. So i guess, just apply the minor scale formula to it, and you'll find the notes. It's always better to learn the intervals and notes than the positions, best to learn both but at least you can figure it out if you forget the positions.
You're right. I still have some work to do in terms of actually making music with the major scale. With some thought I can break out of the boxes and move up and down the neck, but I'm not up to speed on it yet. I'll keep working it until it's second nature.

When you say it's better to learn the intervals and the notes instead of (or in addition to) the shapes, I can appreciate that. I understand the intervals and how they work for the major and minor scale and even the pent scales, but I don't know how to apply it across strings. I can go up and down a single string all day long with these scales using intervals, but without using the scale shapes how can you do it without memorizing a pattern?

Thanks for the help!
Are you asking if someone said...

"Play the C minor scale" Then without actually knowing beforehand being able to pick out the notes?

If so, you need one thing down pat. Notes on the fretboard.

For example with C minor.

You should already know some pattern of the C major scale which is one of the easiest scales. It has no sharps or flats. You start at the ROOT NOTE. Not the lowest note.

So---------C D E F G A B C
Intervals:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1

To turn that into a minor scale, you would simply flatten the third, 6th and 7th interval.

Try to figure it out right now

Yes it's pretty straightforward C D Eb F G Ab Bb C

I hope that's what you were asking, if not try to rephrase and I'll see what I can do.
go into scale modes...learn chords ...learn some harmonic theory...practice improvising
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.