My rig is in my sig. I am either going to put SD Alnico II pro's in my LP, or upgrade the speakers in my cab.

Which one do you think will give me the bigger tone difference?

I play mostly G&R, so I am trying to get close to a Slash like tone. I know either way I go there is only going to be a small difference, but what do you think.

The reason I would want the pickups, is to give me a more milder Slash like tone.

And the reason I would want the speakers, is because I know I am pushing the stock ones when I crank it up. My cab is rated for 130w. I am sure the speakers are cheap anyway. They are the Marshall custom voiced Celestions. I don't know which ones to get. I was looking at V30's but they are only 60 watts a piece. They would be getting pushed to far with my amp up all the way. If I had a 4X12 I would get them, but since I have a 2X12 cab I want it to be able to handle at least 150w.

I have about $250 to spend, maybe more depending. So what do you think?

Thanks.
You could sell your amp and put the $250 towards getting a better amp? The DSL is good, but you could get a better-sounding combo for the same price.
I was thinking about that. If I sold it I would get a Ceriatone JCM800.

PS I do like my amp though. It is underestimated. I know it's no JCM800, but it is a real versitle head. It retails for like $1400, but they don't make it anymore.
Last edited by ninja23 at Apr 28, 2008,
Quote by ninja23
I was thinking about that. If I sold it I would get a Ceriatone JCM800.

PS I do like my amp though. It is underestimated. I know it's no JCM800, but it is a real versitle head. It retails for like $1400, but they don't make it anymore.

Well if you like your amp then don't get rid of it...Maybe you could sell the cab and put the 250 plus the price you get for it towards a nice avatar cab?
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
I'd just take my amp head down to the gear store & try a few cabs first to see if they make the desired difference. If that's not what you're looking for, then try the pickups. The SD web site has dozens of clips to compare pickups as well.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by riffhog
I'd just take my amp head down to the gear store & try a few cabs first to see if they make the desired difference. If that's not what you're looking for, then try the pickups. The SD web site has dozens of clips to compare pickups as well.

I have to agree with this approach.

Also, the wattage ratings on speakers are conservative so you are very unlikely to blow two v30s. Speakers tend to sound better when they are near there limits anyhow.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Thanks guys.

I have heard a 100w tube head will output about 150w at full volume full gain. I know my cab isn't great, I mean it's not bad, but it was cheap.($340) It really sounds like it's ready to blow at about 8. It just doesn't sound great turned up loud. I am not sure if it's the amp or the speakers. What do you think?

I did re-tube my amp with good tubes, just to make sure it wasn't a bad tube. It sounds better now at mid volume, more tighter. I can't take my amp to my local store to try out cabs. I think I will get thrown out if I turn it up past 2.

I know upgrading the speakers with better ones will help, but if I change them I would like plenty of extra room at full volume. I always thought V30's were more for a 4X12 cab. If I do upgrade my amp, I want a 50w JCM800. If I get it, I will prob go with V30's.

Alright I think I will not get speakers yet, however a couple more things popped up.

1. Pickups (Still SD Alnico II pro's)
2. Attenuator (I don't know if it will make my amp sound better or worse)
3. Seriatone JCM800 ( I will have to sell my amp and put some $$ with it, but it might be worth it for a brand new JCM800)

Help me spend my $money$
Thanks