Im still very new to all this stuff. As I am finding out, there is a shytton of stuff to know about playing a guitar beyond chords and scales!!

That said, you could be a great player but still sound bad because of your tone. So, how does one go about finding/getting a good tone?

Of course its subjective. I see people offering certain guitars, pickups amps etc in the search for good tone. But once you find it, how do you know?? Ive seen TONS of youtube vids where the people sound ok to me, but them there will be 50 comments about how their tone sucks.

I was thinking about getting a new amp, but at this point, why bother? I wouldnt know good/great tone if it slapped me in the face.

BTW: I own a MIM HSS strat with stock hardware and an ESP Eclipse 2 with EMG 60/81.

I would love a valve amp under 50w that could do the EMG's justice covering all styles from blues, rock/hard rock, basic metal and some jazz.
well you know what sounds good and what dosent surely? get some poeples opinions
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
If it sounds good to YOU then there is no problem. Don't worry about others opinions. Have your guitar sound like you want it to.
if the question youre asking is ever along the lines of "what is good ____?" the truth is that it is only one's opinion anyway.. theres no concrete, definite answer.
Quote by Axe Murderer
Im still very new to all this stuff. As I am finding out, there is a shytton of stuff to know about playing a guitar beyond chords and scales!!

That said, you could be a great player but still sound bad because of your tone. So, how does one go about finding/getting a good tone?

Of course its subjective. I see people offering certain guitars, pickups amps etc in the search for good tone. But once you find it, how do you know?? Ive seen TONS of youtube vids where the people sound ok to me, but them there will be 50 comments about how their tone sucks.

I was thinking about getting a new amp, but at this point, why bother? I wouldnt know good/great tone if it slapped me in the face.

BTW: I own a MIM HSS strat with stock hardware and an ESP Eclipse 2 with EMG 60/81.

I would love a valve amp under 50w that could do the EMG's justice covering all styles from blues, rock/hard rock, basic metal and some jazz.
'

The general opinion, and also mine seems to be (for rock and old school metal)

A good high gain combo (unless you need to play stadiums or something, you won't need more than a combo). Maybe a Peavey 5150, something like that.
Then you need a clear tone that cuts through the mix. Remember, your ears hear sounds different, at different volumes. So basically, at higher volumes, you'll probably need more mids, less bas and less treble. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=688660

On my Laney VC50 this is my settings; Drive: 10, Gain: 10 + a little boost from an EMG afterburner to give it that sustain I won't, but so it won't destroy the tone. Amp distortion sounds best to me.

then; Bass at 8, mids 9.5, treble 1 (it's a really brigt amp, but it does also have lots of low end), reverb doesn't really matter here, but I'd say not to much, I use 2.5, and then presence at 7.

This is different from amp to amp, but what I do is; I remove tone from my guitar, because I would not need less of that, enough distortion to have that nice sustain for legato, tapping and for holding the notes long enough to play For The Love of God by Steve Vai, for me a nice chunk of bass, but not to much, or it'll sound **** at higher levels, mids really high, and treble not so high.
I prefer to have my presence semi-high instead of having the highs really high. Sounds better.

I also like passive pickups better. I think there's more tone options with them, and they don't sound like angry bees in a can, wich I think EMGs does. And I do own a pair of EMGs, and I have tried them, so it's not just random b/s.

BUT. Go for whatever you like. Just have in mind, that if you're playing in a band, you want to be heard, and you're gonna have your place in the band (or in the mix, so to speak).
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
What is good tone is very subjective. Some poeple for example, hated Dimebags razor-like sound, while other people loved it and tried to emulate it.
Some people like Slash's tone, other think it's too soft.
It's really just a matter of opinion, and the only one that matters is yours.
Just know that your perception of what a good tone is will evolve as you grow as a guitarist.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
If it sounds good to you, that's all that really matters.

Also, listen to the album "Resurrection Through Carnage" by Bloodbath. If your tone sounds nothing like that guitar tone, you can't be doing too bad.
Quote by SinnaSatan
What is good tone is very subjective. Some poeple for example, hated Dimebags razor-like sound, while other people loved it and tried to emulate it.
Just know that your perception of what a good tone is will evolve as you grow as a guitarist.

Yeah. I actually do like Dime's tone. And I think Slash's tone is too round. That being said, I love guns n roses.

I have a tendency to like very middy high/semi high gain settings, or something with a nice chunk, but still the mids (therefore I also love Lee Jackson preamps, but I can't afford one. I must say, I like Laneys just as much though. Both have their very own sound).
My two favorite tones would have to be Alexi Laihos tone from the Hatebreeder days, and Mattias "IA" Eklundhs tone on "Move" and "Organic".
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Quote by slayer89
If it sounds good to you, that's all that really matters.

Also, listen to the album "Resurrection Through Carnage" by Bloodbath. If your tone sounds nothing like that guitar tone, you can't be doing too bad.

LOL

Thanks for the comments guys. Didnt make it any eaiser though!

So the Peavey 5150 is a pretty versatile tube amp under 50w? Im thinking about swapping out my EMG's anyhow to some Duncans. We'll see...
its really hard to tell, an individual question i can say.. for me good tone, its when all is ok with channels(no overdrive on clean, if its metal, then its a high gain meaty dist, not weak overdrive), good playing(if its a cover, then do all the bends, harmonics right, or good sounding; and if its a warm clean song, then no hitting a string with full power, like your throwing a rock on it), and if its a solo, then a little delay, and some chorus.

and to upgrade your tone, buy a new amp. only after, if your not satisfied, then buy new pickups.
Quote by SinnaSatan

good answer
what if i was to say how do i get a simular tone to steve Vai, without spending too much on an amp haha??

i will have the ibanez jem 7 though so thats a start.
Quote by Axe Murderer
LOL

So the Peavey 5150 is a pretty versatile tube amp under 50w? Im thinking about swapping out my EMG's anyhow to some Duncans. We'll see...

yea. the peavey classic 30 is great too (i own one).
Quote by Axe Murderer
LOL

Well, I wouldn't exactly call the 5150 versatile. Don't get me wrong, I love mine to death and have no plans of ever parting with it, but you basically have two channels with one shared EQ and the basic "metal" way of using it is crushing distortion and an okay clean channel. But what it does it does well. There are numerous bands who've made killer sounding albums with 5150s/6505s that just wouldn't have been the same with other amps.
Quote by Axe Murderer

well try working on your tonal control with your fingering and such... rather simple...
pressing on the frets in one area can be different than another even if by a 1/4 of and inch... also with picking...
...transitions in chord changes and picking transitions from hard to softer...
try woriking on your articulation too...
im not a genus (see i dont even have proper grammer...) when it comes to things like that but i know what sounds good... lol
The first part of tone is developing an ear. Listen to some of your favorite artists and focus on the sounds they are making, then you'll want to compare and contrast. Then I would listen to quality effect pedal samples from manufactures so you get a general idea of what the major effects sound like. Then go back and listen to your favorites again and listen for similarities to the samples. Doing this will help listen critically so you can learn what you like and dislike in a tone.
Epi SG G400 Lefty
Modded Valve Junior
Noisy Cricket 1/2 Watt

Toneport GX
I actually was not at all a fan of the 5150 combo I played (way too harsh sounding for my ears) but people on here love em! Prime example of subjectivity. Personally, I like using a good clean amp and running a Distortion into it, but a lot of people also dislike pedals and stuff, so you should just try to find some clips of what you're looking for.
Member of the vegetarian club

Arbor AF-100
Cheap Kona

Boss PH-2
Ibanez DC10
NYC Big Muff
Little Alligator
Peavey Rockmaster
TC G-Major
FCB1010
BBE 401 Maxie
Boss RC-20

70's Fender PA 100
When I first started getting interested in music, I couldn't really tell differences in tone that well from one guitar to the next. However, after 5 years of actively learning, listening to, and studying music closely, I've developed an ear for what I hear. What could have been passable tone for me when I first started play may very well make me cringe now.

I'm fairly certain this is how most people attain an ear for tone, to just be exposed to music and playing instruments. With that said, tone is STILL subjective to YOU. If you like it and it fits, that's what matters. Just remember that your subjectivity will change (to be more picky, most likely) when you gain more experience and exposure to music.

I hope that made a little sense. :-P

-Dan
I think that the TS is looking for an Orange Rocker 30.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl