Would i be able to tune my 4 string to B standard without the G string easily? Would it be a case of just getting thicker strings or would i need to get it set up properly? I have a 5 string in B standard but would like a 4 string in B as back up.

Cheers!
Just use heavy strings. It's not a big deal. You should check the intonation and action when you change strings anyway
Ok, i havent really used it in awhile, my old band used to tune to D standard but after we broke up i didnt really have a use for it, but i thought i might aswell use it as a cheap backup.
If you're not in a band, then there's no real need for a backup bass, but you can screw around with different tunings in your other one. Get some super thick strings, tune to drop G and tell us how it sounds, I'm curious.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Quote by t3hrav3n
If you're not in a band, then there's no real need for a backup bass, but you can screw around with different tunings in your other one. Get some super thick strings, tune to drop G and tell us how it sounds, I'm curious.

Sure there is. If you play in many tunings, you could keep one bass for heavier and one for lighter (set up to withstand their environments)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by lordofthefood1
Sure there is. If you play in many tunings, you could keep one bass for heavier and one for lighter (set up to withstand their environments)

Well, then you'd have two basses for two purposes, not a bass and a backup. You basically just restated what I suggested.
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
I am in a band, and i want my 4 string as a back up for on tour. Cheers for the advice, and i'll get back to the Drop G, is that what meshuggah tune to?
Ah, I wasn't aware. Just get your favorite set of strings for five string basses and use the bottom four. Get a proper set up, nut filing will be necessary, then you're set.

Haha, I'm not sure, a few local bands tune to that, but I've not had a chance to sit down a listen to them without having to avoid being kicked in the face.
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Your gonna have to file the nut and its going to require a set up when your done. I think Spector started making a bass a few years ago that is made to be tuned b-e-a-d. Id rather just play a five string personally.
Quote by xdazxtillxdeath
I am in a band, and i want my 4 string as a back up for on tour. Cheers for the advice, and i'll get back to the Drop G, is that what meshuggah tune to?

Meshuggah tune to F