Are there any "rules" on the proper way to change scales in a song? The 'right' way, or even a few examples of the 'wrong' way to do it? I've been trying to read up on music theory, but I haven't found anything on this subject, yet, so any help would be awesome, thanks.
If it sounds good, it is good.

Generally, you choose the scale to play over each chord, eg E mixolydian over E7, F lydian over Fmaj7 etc. Or just C major over Dm7-G7-Cmaj7, etc.
You would switch between parallel scales: E minor pentatonic to E Blues to E Mixolydian to E Major pentatonic over a Blues in E. You don't switch between E Mixolydian, F# Aeolian, and G# Locrian in a song.

I can go into a lot of detail, but you'll have to read up on baisc theory.
The basic idea is to play what sounds good to you. Before any of you guys go off on me, I'm saying that theory doesn't list off rules. If you think it sounds good to substitute in other notes, than GO FOR IT! I recommend, as bangoodcharlote said, to learn as much as you can about the notes you play so that you can do things like that at will and still be in complete control.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
You don't switch between E Mixolydian, F# Aeolian, and G# Locrian in a song.

well...you could, but it would take a bit of genius to make them flow into one another
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Quote by chimpinatux
well...you could, but it would take a bit of genius to make them flow into one another
Unless you get really deep into jazz-style chord following, which most rock players do not, then you don't.

Over an A D E D progression, it is fine to consider a solo over it to be in A Major. You need not say that it is D Lydian over the D chord etc...