Page 1 of 2
hiya guys, as the title says i have around £1600 to spend on a new guitar, i play mainly metal and neoclassical music but i would like a guitar that can still perform well with classic rock and some blues.

at the moment i am thinking i will get the Ibanez Jem7wh.

what do you guys think would be a good guitar?

cheers.
How long have you been playing?
You should probably go and try some guitars out yourself, no advice anyone else can give you will ever be as helpful as just going out there and getting some experience first hand.
Jackson RR's are good for metal... (n also neoclassical metal..... Alexi Lahio - Bodom and Randy Rhoads use(d) it)
ibanez jem there ****ing awsome i played one a week ago its feels so good its almost 100% orgasm constantly whilst playing it
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
i have actually only been playing just under 2 years, but dont worry im not just some spoiled kid who is rubbish but gets an expennsive guitar bought for him. i have a friend who has been playing 8 years and he is very good (plays blues mainly so has a very different style to me) and he says that i have learnt very fast, and that technically im as good as him already.

sorry i just felt the need to warrant me spending that much money after only 2 years :/ lol

and yes guitarmannick i was thinking of maybe the jackson rr's thanks.
You can afford a Caparison with that kinda money. Actually you can have practically anything you want. Go into a store and flash some cash play some axes man.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
seems that we have the same effects pedal.....
i use my jackson kelly js30ke (with emg 85/81 set) with my zoom pedal, and no matter what amp i plug into, it sounds AMAZING!! haha
and also i use an equalizer, that might help keeping the tone the same... but still!
What amp will you run it through?
Do you want a neck-thru, bolt-on, set-neck...?
Locking trem, hardtail, string-thru, stoptail...?
Number of frets...?
Pickup configuration of preference...?
Type of wood...?
Desired sound... (genre isn't quite enough, sure there are common characteristics but you can't specify one tone for a whole genre)

I mean, with that much money on your hands, you better be well informed and well aware of what you really want.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
haha sweet dude!
i know what you meen, im currently using an Ibanez RG something or other :/
and im playing through possibly the poorest amp ever, its this little stagg 15w thing haha
yet the zoom pedal makes it sound like a £1000 amp
good choice dude
Look at Carvin custom guitars. VERY low priced for what you get, with all the options and what not. Mines being built right now. And look at caparisons like someone else said.

EDIT: whaoh whoah whoah whoah. I'd highly advise getting a new amp. That where most of your tone comes from man.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Quote by Boomjosh
haha sweet dude!
and im playing through possibly the poorest amp ever, its this little stagg 15w thing haha
good choice dude

haha yeah man! its a ****in gr8 pedal!
just 1 thing abt it i dont like is that some of the distortions have almost no sustain... the notes end in like less than 6 secs but when i plug into only my amp and use it's gain the sustain goes upto like 10secs...
yes i understand what you meen jmag erm:

as for the neck im not too sure really
locking trem preferably
24 frets or more :/ haha
pickup configuration? by this do you meen where i want them? well i think somewhere around the setup of the jem.
and as for the desired sound i guess something that can cut through the mix, think of steve vai's sound.

cheers man.
Quote by Boomjosh
haha sweet dude!
good choice dude

Thou shall not play a £1600 guitar through a 15w Stagg amplifier.
Quote by primusfan

Quote by jmag
Thou shall not play a £1600 guitar through a 15w Stagg amplifier.

Hell yeah!

£1000 for the amp, £600 for the guitar.

Amp makes 80-90% of YOUR sound, so you can go for an expensive guitar, but it will still sound shity through that stagg 15w SS.
yes i know bean im going to get a new amp any suggestions?
i dont really want to be spending loads and i only want a low wattage one like 15w approx.

guitarmannick i know exactly what you meen, like most of them sound cool but have poor sustain apart from like 2 of them one of which is overdriven to the point where unless you manage to play perfectly cleanly it sounds nasty.

i tend to use the b2 setting on "play" mode that has a cool satriani feel to it.

how about you?
Quote by Boomjosh

pickup configuration? by this do you meen where i want them? well i think somewhere around the setup of the jem.

means what pickups u want on neck and bridge positions and if applicable a middle pickup too...
ye thats what i was thinking he ment but i thought he would say what pickups haha

well as i said the di marzio evos in the jem7 sound really sweet.
Quote by Boomjosh

guitarmannick i know exactly what you meen, like most of them sound cool but have poor sustain apart from like 2 of them one of which is overdriven to the point where unless you manage to play perfectly cleanly it sounds nasty.

i tend to use the b2 setting on "play" mode that has a cool satriani feel to it.

how about you?

i use my own patches i have 2 for death metal (cannibal corpse type), 1 for black metal (gorgoroth type), 1 for metalcore (lamb of god only!), and 1 for deathcore (suffokate!!!)
also some personalized chorus and delay patches... (the delay patch is somewhat similar to Yngwie Malmsteens Echo Etude delay) oh also 1 patch for malmsteenish stuff
and the C6 patch (the Kirk Hammett lead tone)
and also sometimes the C7 patch...
Hmm look at some Laneys, they make some low wattage amps that are great for metal. ITs pretty hard to find low wattage-high gain cus usually metal=LOUD and amp companies take advantage of that by only make larger amps good for metal. That doesnt mean they arent out there.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Quote by Boomjosh
yes i know bean im going to get a new amp any suggestions?
i dont really want to be spending loads and i only want a low wattage one like 15w approx.

how about you?

Honestly you can get some fucking brilliant low wattage amps for that and go out and get a great guitar for about £600-800.

Can you name some bands and sounds you would like from an amp?

I know you said some genres but the genres you said have a huge spectrum of tones.
do you have any idea what your malmsteen delay patch consists of ? you know which components so i could have a starting point to build my own?
Quote by Boomjosh
ye thats what i was thinking he ment but i thought he would say what pickups haha

well as i said the di marzio evos in the jem7 sound really sweet.

honestly, i dont like the tone of the jem7 while playing LoG-ish riffs or Brutal Death Metal riffs.....
i personally believe that its more for shredding/soloing and not much for riffs
well i think Vai's sound in pieces such as for the love of god is just immense, also sounds such as dream theater (petrucci), satriani, jason becker those people have really good sounds in my opinion.

is that a little clearler dude?
cheers
OK I'll get looking, generally metal/shred stuff uses a large amount of pre-amp gain, so having a loud-ish amp isn't a problem.

Firstly I'd recommend Mesa/Boogies and Peavey 5150/6505, amazing amps for huge amounts of gain and sustain and will kill your stagg amp, but I'll have a look around for anything else good.
Quote by Boomjosh
do you have any idea what your malmsteen delay patch consists of ? you know which components so i could have a starting point to build my own?

yeah i have the d9 delay, ft modulation with gain to 0, bass to 4, mid to 1 and treble to 5 no reverb, znr/amp to s9
Quote by GuitarManNick
honestly, i dont like the tone of the jem7 while playing LoG-ish riffs or Brutal Death Metal riffs.....
i personally believe that its more for shredding/soloing and not much for riffs

ye i totally agree with you. it dosnt really work too well on the heavy riffs, but i suppose the extremely light gauge dosnt help that.

but to be honest i dont really tend to play much heavy things, it is metal but its certainly edged towards melodic classically influenced metal and mainly lead play
Honestly mate I'd start a thread in the gear forum asking about a decent amp before making this thread about a guitar, as the people in there will help you get a great amp, then you can move to a great guitar too.
Quote by Boomjosh
ye i totally agree with you. it dosnt really work too well on the heavy riffs, but i suppose the extremely light gauge dosnt help that.

but to be honest i dont really tend to play much heavy things, it is metal but its certainly edged towards melodic classically influenced metal and mainly lead play

hmm well i guess then tht works... kinda
ah cheers tom ill check those amps out now, and thanks in advance for whatever else you find

guitarmannick thanks lots i shall try that config tomorow i look foreward to it
i would try now but its too late :/ haha
Quote by GuitarManNick
means what pickups u want on neck and bridge positions and if applicable a middle pickup too...

No, it means what configuration. HH, HSH, HSS, HS, H, etc. H meaning humbucker and S meaning singlecoil.

Dude, if you play a really great guitar through a solid state 15w amp, it will sound the same as if it were a beginner's guitar, or approximately. You can buy some really good gear with that budget, the kind of rig that will suffice your needs for a long time.
Get something like a Laney LC30 and you'll have a pretty good amp, that shouldn't be that expensive considering your budget.
With the leftover money you'll still have plenty of available choices for a good guitar.
Quote by primusfan

wow the lc30 is pretty cheap at around £320 because i dont think i mentioned but the £1600 is just a budget i set for the guitar, i was considering around £2000 for a guitar and amp. sorry i didnt mention earlier :/

does the laney lc30 have the kind of sound i would be going for jmag?

cheers
If I were you I'd go for a Peavey combo like the 6505/5150 or JSX with a Gibson Flying V. you could probably find all that for under £2000.
As for the JEMs, I'm not a fan, I think they're overrated and overpriced because they have Vai's name on them.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
ESP Horizons are very nice. Tried back to back a Jem and the Horizon, and for myself I really didnt like the Jem and the Horizon was absolutely beautiful. Although I ended up going home with an Eclipse. Just thought I'd mention it if you were going to be looking at something like a Jem, then you should follow that up with the Horizon...?
Quote by iamtompublic
Hell yeah!

£1000 for the amp, £600 for the guitar.

Amp makes 80-90% of YOUR sound, so you can go for an expensive guitar, but it will still sound shity through that stagg 15w SS.

+1

£600 will easily buy you an ibanez MIJ prestige (rg1570 is about £475 or so). £125 will buy you swineshead or rockmonkey pickups...

£1000 for the amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Boomjosh
wow the lc30 is pretty cheap at around £320 because i dont think i mentioned but the £1600 is just a budget i set for the guitar, i was considering around £2000 for a guitar and amp. sorry i didnt mention earlier :/

does the laney lc30 have the kind of sound i would be going for jmag?

cheers

dang i missed that.

With £2000 i'd get something like a brunetti xlr-evo head or engl blackmore/powerball (depending on how much metal you play) for around £800-£1000, something like a framus 2x12 cab with vintage 30s (£200), and then you'd have £800 for the guitar.

you can do much better than a laney lc30 with your budget.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
£1,000 on an amp is unnecessary in my opinion, unless your gigging and want to find your own tone.
Page 1 of 2