Anyone got some advice on which one i should get? $200 or lower please well...okay $250. Yeah i know thats low..

Okay genres i play? Well prog and metal mainly as far as my own material goes, but my favorite band is Muse and Garbage. The most important thing is that my amp is solidstate 15w dont even know the brand it sucks though and i'm gigging a lot and the soab CANNOT have clean tones at volumes high enough for my drummer, and doesnt sound good anyways. I mostly play with fuzz distortion and then sometimes some phase and stuff. Anyways i heard tubes sound better at high volumes so im looking for one, if SS is better then by all means suggest one (MY BUDGET IN MIND).
Oh and btw built in distortion matters but not much, i wont use it much, i use fuzz factory.. the ablity to take in pedals and have nice cleans is what matters for me i dont give a f*** about onboard effects

help appreciated

preferably 10-15 wats

EDIT
My budget has just increased to $450 (absolute max) because of some old **** i decided its time to sell

Emotion = true music

Gear

Vantage 718dt-1
Epi Special II
Crate V Series 212 18w
Fuzz Factory
MXR Phase 90
Last edited by CryingAlone at Apr 29, 2008,
Quote by kthxbi
Cheap tube amps are a no-no.

Idiots are a no-no.

Fender amps have nice cleans and you could get a Blues Junior and run pedals through that.
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
Blackheart amps are small and cheap, as well as pretty decent, its worth checking them out.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
who should i listen to? anyone else want to +1 someones oppinion so i can have more sure ideas?
and as far as the Palomino v16, how well does it take pedals?

Emotion = true music

Gear

Vantage 718dt-1
Epi Special II
Crate V Series 212 18w
Fuzz Factory
MXR Phase 90
Quote by Ichimaru
Blackheart amps are small and cheap, as well as pretty decent, its worth checking them out.

+1

I like the stock blackheart better than my modded VJ, but it is slightly above your price range. If you like SS, you should check out the Roland Cubes.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Quote by John W
Idiots are a no-no.

Fender amps have nice cleans and you could get a Blues Junior and run pedals through that.

Just saying what I've seen a zillion other people saying on the forums.
I would use the money to get a decent SS amp instead. Low-budget tube amp isn't that good.
Quote by kthxbi
Just saying what I've seen a zillion other people saying on the forums.

Well, maybe you shouldnt follow internet tales blindly and go test yourself instead of spreading false rumours.
There are some (not many) cheap tube amps of low wattage. The best thing to do is go to a big store where they have many amps and test them all there. Then you get an idea of what you want and you can look for that specific amp on ebay, which will save you a bit of cash.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Your budget is ridiculously low. You're happy to buy a ZVex pedal for the prices they command but you only want to spend $200 or less on an amp. Wise up. Save up.
so many oppinions.. i need some more help.. do you think a SS is better in this case?

Quote by greggybhoy
Your budget is ridiculously low. You're happy to buy a ZVex pedal for the prices they command but you only want to spend $200 or less on an amp. Wise up. Save up.

Zvex Fuzz Factory is quality pedal man and it cost me $169.99 new at GC

I am willing to go up to $300 i guess

Emotion = true music

Gear

Vantage 718dt-1
Epi Special II
Crate V Series 212 18w
Fuzz Factory
MXR Phase 90
im gonna say blackheart on this one..unless you can save up more. just because i think the blackheart will be more modern-sounding (for muse and stuff) than the fender and palomino (could be wrong about the palomino tho).
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
Hate to be the voice of difference, but I like Spyders from Line6. There are some nice cheaper options with some nice sounds for the price. I got a 150HD straight off, and I've mounted it with a Marshall 1960A slant cab. It's amazing. It's also a bit pricey.
What used to be
Our humility is gone
You are the mound of skull and bone

When living is to die
I’ve seen more moments in decomposition
Than in those hollow eyes
Epi Valve Jr. (head & cab)
Blackheart
Peavey Royal 8

In no particular order.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by Dax:
Hate to be the voice of difference, but I like Spyders from Line6. There are some nice cheaper options with some nice sounds for the price. I got a 150HD straight off, and I've mounted it with a Marshall 1960A slant cab. It's amazing. It's also a bit pricey.

The only reason I'd get one is for practice and versitality. I said i dont needany onboard versatalitry other than maybe distortion (does not really matters) and 3 band EQ

Emotion = true music

Gear

Vantage 718dt-1
Epi Special II
Crate V Series 212 18w
Fuzz Factory
MXR Phase 90
^dude, you're retarted. TS CLEARLY said that 300 is his budget, and a 150HD with a marshall cab is pushing it way too far, plus there are way better choices out there for the price

edit: sry that was for dax. unless he was trying to be sarcastic...
holy **** i just realized it was a spider 3 as well. ok as a general rule, you should only buy spiders if its like, for 15 watt home practice purposes

Quote by jravolta

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee

Quote by magnum1117
Quote by Hakael
Epi Valve Jr. (head & cab)
Blackheart
Peavey Royal 8

In no particular order.

Hmm tasty i'm liking the Peavey Royal 8 right now, is it loud enough for 100ish people gigs? and how well will it take pedals
--
edit: i forgot it doesnt have 3band EQ, how important is that? can a good eq pedal fix that up easily

Emotion = true music

Gear

Vantage 718dt-1
Epi Special II
Crate V Series 212 18w
Fuzz Factory
MXR Phase 90
^as long as you mic it up, it probably can (the peavey royal 8)

Quote by jravolta

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee

Quote by magnum1117
I second the Blackheart, they should be coming out with a 15-watt stack either this month or next month.
hey man just save up the extra 150 and get a valeking 112, they got plenty of power for whatever gig, they sound good (great if you replace the speaker) and have the gain that a metal player should need. Blackhearts are great blues and rock amps but running a pedal through it will make it sound muddy. Check out the mp3 in my profile and you can hear what a vk 112 sounds like.
This is what I get for PBC (Posting Before Coffee).

Didn't see that you're looking to gig with it. I don't want to sound negative, but $250 isn't going to give you a whole lot as far as tube amps are concerned (the three I listed are 5watts). Usually, you'll want to look for something 30-50watts for gigging situations. Shouldn't need more than 50watts (tube) though. Not unless you're playing a stadium.

If they're mic'd, they might be able to work out, but otherwise, you'd do best to save a little more if at all possible. Maybe trade something in. Definitely look used.

If you're lucky, you might be able to find one of the following in your budget on the used market:
Epiphone Valve Standard (15watt, $300 new, no longer made)
Pignose G40V (40watt, $320 new <wow>
Crate V Series V18-112 (18watt, $330 new)

Edit: What the guy above me said. Definitely, if you can save up, check out the Peavey VK112. Again, might save a little more if you can find it used.
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by Hakael
This is what I get for PBC (Posting Before Coffee).

Didn't see that you're looking to gig with it. I don't want to sound negative, but $250 isn't going to give you a whole lot as far as tube amps are concerned (the three I listed are 5watts). Usually, you'll want to look for something 30-50watts for gigging situations. Shouldn't need more than 50watts (tube) though. Not unless you're playing a stadium.

If they're mic'd, they might be able to work out, but otherwise, you'd do best to save a little more if at all possible. Maybe trade something in. Definitely look used.

If you're lucky, you might be able to find one of the following in your budget on the used market:
Epiphone Valve Standard (15watt, $300 new, no longer made)
Pignose G40V (40watt, $320 new <wow>
Crate V Series V18-112 (18watt, $330 new)
Edit: What the guy above me said. Definitely, if you can save up, check out the Peavey VK112. Again, might save a little more if you can find it used.

Wow thanks nice post.
Pignose G40V i just did a quick google on it and found some good stuff this thing is my favorite choice so far it looks amazing for price, how does it take pedals?

EDIT: I forgot about the fact i could sell my old amp etc. lets see if i add all of that let me see my budget.. $50 more for my old amp maybe.. And i used to be a videogamer so i have a ****load of old video games lying around i could make at least $150 with

so i guess i might be willing to look at around $450

Emotion = true music

Gear

Vantage 718dt-1
Epi Special II
Crate V Series 212 18w
Fuzz Factory
MXR Phase 90
I don't know of any tube amp you can get for under $250, and IMO 5 watts isn't enough for gigging especially if you have a drummer. (Maybe if you got a cab later) I had the same dilemna recently ... 15 watt SS practice amp wasn't enough and I was playing regularly and needed more power to get over a drummer & other bandmates.

I ended up getting a Hartke GT60c and it only cost $160 brand new including a footpedal to switch channels. It's a 60 watt hybrid amp and gets brutally loud if desired, has a 12" speaker, and sounds very good to me. It's plain with no effects other than reverb, but I use multieffects. It will do crystal clear cleans at high volumes, breaks up pretty nice, and will do a decent metal distortion with gain turned up. It has a single 12AX7 tube in the preamp, and the tube preamp does impart a lot to the tone because I've tried bypassing it with the effects loop. Anyways I love the amp and it was really cheap. It's also lightweight enough to carry in one hand and I'm hauling it back and forth a couple times a week to play at church.
Quote by CryingAlone
Wow thanks nice post.
Pignose G40V i just did a quick google on it and found some good stuff this thing is my favorite choice so far it looks amazing for price, how does it take pedals?

Unfortunately, I have yet to try one out myself, although I've heard many good things about it. From what I understand, the circutry is fairy simple, and usually that translates into "takes pedals fairly well."

Admittedly, the thing that catches my attention the most is the fact that it's unbelievably inexpensive for a 40watt, all tube amp. I almost got one a little while ago (someone was selling one used in my area), but someone else beat me to the punch.

The Epi Valve Standard I have experience with (I own one) and simply love it. The Crate... Well, I listed it because I wanted to list at least three, and it's the only other one I could find that would almost fit your price point (lol).

Damn edits... lol... If you can sell stuff, and make $450, then I really would suggest shooting for that Peavey VK112. At 50watts, it's a monster.
Last edited by Hakael at Apr 29, 2008,
Quote by Hakael
Unfortunately, I have yet to try one out myself, although I've heard many good things about it. From what I understand, the circutry is fairy simple, and usually that translates into "takes pedals fairly well."

Admittedly, the thing that catches my attention the most is the fact that it's unbelievably inexpensive for a 40watt, all tube amp. I almost got one a little while ago (someone was selling one used in my area), but someone else beat me to the punch.

The Epi Valve Standard I have experience with (I own one) and simply love it. The Crate... Well, I listed it because I wanted to list at least three, and it's the only other one I could find that would almost fit your price point (lol).

Damn edits... lol... If you can sell stuff, and make $450, then I really would suggest shooting for that Peavey VK112. At 50watts, it's a monster.

I think I will, but to clear a few things up, how loud does it stay with nice and good sound? I'm guessing really loud? It will handle my Fuzz Factory nice correct? And last but not least, is it the best deal in that pricerange?

Emotion = true music

Gear

Vantage 718dt-1
Epi Special II
Crate V Series 212 18w
Fuzz Factory
MXR Phase 90
Bite the bullet, save up and get a Crate V-18, or a Valveking. You will have problems gigging on 5 watts I think.
Quote by CryingAlone
I think I will, but to clear a few things up, how loud does it stay with nice and good sound? I'm guessing really loud? It will handle my Fuzz Factory nice correct? And last but not least, is it the best deal in that pricerange?

It will definitely give you a lot more clean headroom than any of the previous amps listed. One special feature of the Valveking series is a "Texture" knob. It allows you to adjust the power going from a full Class A/B to full Class A and everywhere inbetween (a lot of people tend to miss this feature). To maximize the clean headroom of the amp, you'll want to turn it to full A/B. If you want the tubes to breakup earlier (and cut a little of the power), move it towards A. It's the most versatile of the amps in that range in that it has two footswitchable channels as well as an effects loop.

And yes, it gets freakin loud. I've got the 100watt head version (which is why I can honestly say, very few people NEED 100watts) and I make things vibrate with the volume at 1 (I generally leave it at .5... I don't gig... Only reason why I have it is I got a killer deal... and to annoy the crap out of my neighbors when they irritate me... 3-4 usually does it for 'em).

GC linkage: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp-104003397-i1145634.gc