ok well ive noticed that alot of metal has stuff like pinch harmonic in it, some tapping, and i was just wondering are there any more techniques like that that i will need to learn?
yea theres all kinds of cool stuff...
check out some harmonic and melodic chromatic scales...
sweep picking...
trem. picking...
dive bombs...
trills...
just work on that legato sound lol
hammer ons pulloffs taps...
i cant remember if this has a name lol but try pressing the twelth fret on the bottom E and bending the 13 fret up on the B that always sounds kickass and you can play it anywheres...
playing metal is very demanding, requires speed and accuracy, otherwise it sounds garbage.
Palm mute, alternate picking and powerchords. Those are the basics of metal.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
galloping is a must... crappy galloping sets apart noobs from people who know something about picking
Quote by RichieKotzen
Triplets

I know what you're thinking and NO those are not triplets; what you are thinking (Battery, Mermaider, Raining Blood et al) is called galloping; triplets are three evenly spaced notes per beat. I'm really fed up of correcting people on this crap.

TS: The most essential thing in metal is a comfortable picking technique with tonnes of stamina to back it up, this applies to downpicking, galloping and straight alternate picking. Without a good picking hand you won't convince anyone you're a metal player.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Make sure you don't get too caught up in alternate picking/gallops or whatever that you neglect just straight down picking. I did that for a while and it once I caught what I was doing it took me forever to make my fast downpicking worth a **** again.
The Gear
Schecter Loomis NT
Schecter C7 Hellraiser
Washburn Tabu TB300
Peavey 5150
Laney TT412a

Speed in the right hand, stamina in the left...

Legato
alternative picking
good bending and vibrato!!
be sure to always play cleanly, i always see people playing metal songs and they play so sloppily that it lowers a person IQ.
harmonic squeals, and those things that Nile does where they add the harmonics to every individual note hit, its sounds really awesome. Tremolo picking, and the chord tremolo picking (im not very good at vocab, lol.) String skipping. natural harmonics.
thats all i can think of right now... what a shame. lol.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Quote by Agent-Orange
palm mutes too

+1

BIG emphasis on palm-muting, especially if you are going to be playing to bands like All That Remains, BFMV, August Burns Red, etc.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Palm Muting: Develop some callouses on your hand, so the strings won't dig in.

Galloping: Learn to do it well, nothing sounds worse than a crappy gallop pattern. Listen to Battery to hear some good galloping. A relaxed hand is the key.

Alternate picking: The song that helped me get it down was System of a Down's BYOB. the important thing is doing it without tensing up, and keeping your endurance up.

Down Picking: THIS IS A MUST. Fast down picking is not something you can fake. It requires lots of practice, and lot's of stamina. Starrt doing curls (why do you think James Hetfield still has big biceps?) Master of Puppets and Blackened are considered THE down picking songs. A good song to get started on for endurance is Ride The Lightning.

Sweep picking: Essential for shredding in metal, check out Yngwie for some advanced examples, can't really think of a good easy sweeping song, but the essential thing is starting SLOWLY and getting it right, or you will be crippled for advanced stuff.

Harmonics are unfortunately one of those things that are very hard to explain over the internet without a guitar in you hands. Watch some videos on youtube, there are some good instructional videos.

Above all, keeping your hands relaxed is the key. A tense arm = stiff arm, and stiffness inhibits movement.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Also, economy of movement is a big thing.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Spider Riffing is also quite a useful technique to use for economy, and pinky strength too.
www.myspace.com/nirvana_rox_ryda_j

Quote by Ovenman
Women don't sh*t.
There's no toilet in the kitchen.

Quote by Yan Yan
!

This thread was made back when i had my old 06 account.

Quote by ryda_jay_1991
Spider Riffing is also quite a useful technique to use for economy, and pinky strength too.

Tanks, I forgot to mention spider chords, those are hard, but very useful, and can lead to some interesting riffs.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
sweep picking, tremelo picking, work your pinky, alternate picking, and practice speed in general
extreme tapping technique with rapid-fire tremelo (alt) picking. Blazingly fast sweep.

if you're ready to move on to one of the most intricate genres of music- be prepared...
Quote by Zekus
if you're ready to move on to one of the most intricate genres of music- be prepared...

No one mentioned jazz though...

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
palm muting, power chords, pinch harmonics, alternate picking, slides(i guess), tapping, sweep picking a little, dead notes rofl, bends
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
No one mentioned jazz though...

No offense but please read he said "on of the most" not the most intricate. This could quite easily start a flame war.
yeah like it's probably been said before, sweeping is usually a good technique to master, though it's discouraging at first. you also need to be able to tap well, maybe multi finger, as well as be able to work well around the phrygian scale, since thats a common scale used in metal. thats close to all i know without repeating obvious things like galloping, pinch harmonics, etc.
picking has been well covered here so i`ll say timing. be ready for sudden tempo changes, muted picking and precise chord changes. even as a rhythm player you gotta know where you are on the neck all the time . and do finger tip push ups and any other hand exercises you can think of. quit smoking, start running, rock climbing would help work those hands and wrists.........just kidding about the quitting smoking
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Quote by Crabs111
No offense but please read he said "on of the most" not the most intricate. This could quite easily start a flame war.

I know, I'm just fed up of metalheads on their high horses saying "OMGZ Metal is liek teh most teknicul musics EVAR!!1!".

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
gallop picking, as said already, is a must.

most iron maiden songs have it, and "sceam aim fire" by bullet for my valentine is a great song for gallops.

depending on the style of metal you might need incredible downpickingt or great alternate picking. its like metallica (down pikcing) versus Children fo Bodom (VERY MUCH alternate/economy picking)

stamina. metal is a lot about live performance as well. you very rarely see a metal gutiar palyer just standing around while they play. even in solos they are doing SOMETHING, so get the ability to play stuff with easilly live without ahving to put all your enegry into keeping your fingers going
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

TS: The most essential thing in metal is a comfortable picking technique with tonnes of stamina to back it up, this applies to downpicking, galloping and straight alternate picking. Without a good picking hand you won't convince anyone you're a metal player.

Wrong dude. Just wrong. All I ever seem to play on bass is Metal, and I don't always use a pick. I can strum, pick and slap, and all of it sounds good. Cliff Burton never used a damn pick! Try playing Cliff Burton, he was insane on strumming. As far as slap, try Suicidal Tendencies and Rage Against The Machine. White Zombie has my favorite bassist ever and she used a pick.

As for galloping, you can use your fingers just as good, if not better than a pick. You should try using all three fingers for it. I can play pretty damn fast with my fingers, and so my suggestion is to play the solo in Am I Evil. That song will teach you galloping and it will increase your speed. Play till it hurts then some.

Just play it accurately .
Last edited by Groove Devil at Apr 30, 2008,
Quote by Groove Devil
Wrong dude. Just wrong. All I ever seem to play on bass is Metal, and I don't always use a pick. I can strum, pick and slap, and all of it sounds good. Cliff Burton never used a damn pick! Try playing Cliff Burton, he was insane on strumming. As far as slap, try Suicidal Tendencies and Rage Against The Machine. White Zombie has my favorite bassist ever and she used a pick.

As for galloping, you can use your fingers just as good, if not better than a pick. You should try using all three fingers for it. I can play pretty damn fast with my fingers, and so my suggestion is to play the solo in Am I Evil. That song will teach you galloping and it will increase your speed. Play till it hurts then some.

Maybe he was referring to a metal guitarist's picking hand.
Quote by Groove Devil

Did you look at the forum you're in? Electric Guitar and that means picks, especially in metal; I play bass as well but this is the guitar forum.

Either way what i said still holds true: comfortable picking technique, whether you're playing pickstyle or finger style is still the most valuable asset for a metal player.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
A cool trick to do that I found is to tune your guitar to like Drop C or something, throw your hands in the air and strum with your hair(only works if you have long hair).
=O
Everything that's been said is good. Also from the beginning on when you play solos etc make sure that you are muting the strings which you aren't playing on at the moment, otherwise that creates an awful lot of noise, which is very annoying. I use my right hand palm for the strings which lie above the one(s) I'm playing on, and the bottom parts of my left hand fingers for the ones below.

Whenever I play scales for example I sometimes just stop half the way through and check if the other strings are muted correctly. Very important for anything with lots of gain/distortion.
“If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?”
- Scott Adams

No they don't, and UG is proof...
I am a metal guitarist, with the crazy shred solos you know. Anyway I have been playing a few years and you should know how to do everything. I mean everything really. You must have speed, technique, etc. Sweeps aren't really all that necessary though. I mean come on I play solos similar to that of Dave Mustaine, and I don't sweep very often at all. I can, but I use 3-stringed sweeps opposed to the show-offy 6 strings. I prefer to tremolo pick, and tap to get speed. And I dont do arpeggios to seem great. Dont get me wrong those skills are great to have at your disposal and anyone who does them more power to you, but dont learn them if you dont want to. If you wan to shred learn to play really fast. That is all the rest kinda just comes naturally. haha. Believe it or not I shred, but it is all blues-based. IMO it beats the **** out of Jazz anyday. I love blues. And if you are a new metal player learn "Welcome To The Jungle" by, Guns N Roses if you'd like to learn some cool rhythms, and get a hang of moving pretty well. And if you are advanced learn "Bark At The Moon" by, Ozzy Osbourne. That is a great song with an awesome solo in it. But these guys are rigt about galloping. remember to do that. and be sure you play chords down-picked. Do not upstroke chords. It just doesnt work. Take it from experiance.... It may sound nice, but try making a fast chord played song and doing that. You always lose it. Downpicking chords is a great thing to know how to od. And alternate picking is wonderful for playing those solos quickly. Ecomony picking is a must. Tapping is good too. Multi string tapping not so much though. anyway hope this helps. good luck brother! haha. or fellow METALHEAD!
"Nice boys don't play rock n' roll" - Axl Rose in (Nice Boys cover)
Quote by Gargantuan
A cool trick to do that I found is to tune your guitar to like Drop C or something, throw your hands in the air and strum with your hair(only works if you have long hair).
=O

reported for trolling.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
LOL

Someone was reading this over my shoulder and she said told me the one skill she'd like to see that no one's mentioned yet.

Bleeding on command.

Too bad she's not single...

Edit: What's "galloping?" Never heard that term before.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by Hakael
Edit: What's "galloping?" Never heard that term before.

Battery by Metallica, Run to the Hills by Iron Maiden, Raining Blood by Slayer and Desciples of the Lie by Iced Earth.

All of those riffs make heavy use of galloping; it's basically the practice of using two 16th notes and one 8th note in a riff.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.