Hi, i have just changed strings from a fairly new set of 10-48 rotosound to 9-50 Dr High Voltage Dimebag signature strings.

Apart from different tensions as expected the sound of the guitar is very different.

The sound is rougher and less punchy. Any idea why? i suspect these high voltage strings are made to be more magnetic meaning more output?

not sure why they are less punchy though. with the extra output and extra tension they should be punchier right?

anyway i cannot really stress the massive difference these strings have made.

the difference isn't neccessarily for the worse. the sound is just very very different. next time you think changing strings won't effect tone, think again.

anybody else experienced the massive difference with these strings?

P.S. I haven't bought these strings because they are affiliated with dimebag in any way. they seem to be the only brand who do the gauge i wanted to try. I am not a fan of dimebag per se i.e i think he was a good player but i don't listen to any of his music.
i've experienced that the first time i switch from regular 10's to 12's. it was pretty amazing.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Yeah, same thing happened to me when I went from 9's to 11's.

12's coming next
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
i've quickly realised i hate these strings. dr tite-fit strings are great, dr high voltage dimebag signature are not to my liking at all.
that is why you use only one type of guitar string that you know will never fail you and that you like
Quote by ironman1478
that is why you use only one type of guitar string that you know will never fail you and that you like

On the other hand if you don't experiment how will you know if you're not missing out on something?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
On the other hand if you don't experiment how will you know if you're not missing out on something?

Touche...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
DRs have better tone.

hand-wound, ROUND core - not hexcore, they compress the metal so that you actually get more tone in a smaller string. These things are beasts.
string affect a lot the tone
more than the wood IMO
wood just shapes the tone a bit
but the tone the wood shapes is tone coming from strings
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by litus
string affect a lot the tone
more than the wood IMO
wood just shapes the tone a bit
but the tone the wood shapes is tone coming from strings

I dunno if I'd that far with it but I do agree that strings have a large impact on your sound, so make sure to change them often!