Hi guys I'm just learning intervals on this site here http://www.8notes.com/theory/
I'm just learning intervals, I'm up to lesson 20 but I'm finding it really hard to remember what the different intervals are etc etc...

Also I wanted to know what the benefits of intervals are and if one of you could actually explain it and not say "google it" or "Yeah the patterns are what you want to learn" or something like that.
The benefit of intervals is that they allow you to play more than just a static tone with various rhythms.

The benefit of learning them is that you can communicate with other musicians and know what you're playing.

LEARN THEM!
But can anyone explain why they do this, I under stand what they are but I don't understand how to learn them and what you guys mean.
Quote by Darkmessiahnz
But can anyone explain why they do this, I under stand what they are but I don't understand how to learn them and what you guys mean.
An interval is the distance. Much like you can have various intervals of time (second, hour, year, century), there are numerous intervals that span more or less notes than others.
I think I understand them alot better now and I've just been reviewing it a bit and now I think I understand it.
what these guys said, the interval is just the distance between notes.
For example, you got a C, the major second of that would be D. Up one whole step. Comprende?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by Darkmessiahnz

The reason people do it is so they can recreate melodies without trial and error. So if you know all the intervals by ear, and you are humming a song that you made up in your head, you should be able to write that song down on a piece of sheet music (assuming you know the key of it), or play it on your guitar the first time you try it. In reality this is quite hard to do, but theoretically, if you know your intervals perfectly then you should be able to play any melody you hear (so long as you can figure out the first note, which goes into perfect pitch, etc).

Edit: I thought this site would be better for practicing intervals, but it doesn't do much really. Does anyone know of a site that will spew out a random interval and then I can practice to see if I have it right in my head?
Standard Fender Telecaster
Fender Blues Jr
Ibz10
Last edited by zipppy2006 at Apr 28, 2008,
Quote by zipppy2006

Edit: I thought this site would be better for practicing intervals, but it doesn't do much really. Does anyone know of a site that will spew out a random interval and then I can practice to see if I have it right in my head?

http://www.musictheory.net/ is a great site.

Use the interval ear trainer
Intervals are essentially the most practical way for a musician to analyze or create music by ear and be able to communicate to other musicians. When you work on them, make SURE you do it in tandem with your ear. Learn the SOUND of each interval and it will help greatly to bridge the gap from imagining to playing, writing or from listening to playing, etc. etc.