I know, buy a proper classical guitar first but bleh I need the money first.

So anyway, I am learning classical guitar on a steel string until I can afford a proper classical guitar.

Ive only just started learning, yesterday in fact and I have been shown by my teacher how do to appoyando and tirando.

Question:

How can I reduce tension in my right hand? Ive been practicing these techniques over and over again and my hands just.... Hurt like hell, especially on my thumb joints and finger joints.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Like any form of rigorous exersize, stretch first. It's the key to loosening up all the tendons and muscles that tend to cramp up after a while. And don't just focus on stretching out your hands, work the wrists, forarms and elbows too. Develop a pattern of pre-guitar playing stretching that works best for you. It'll only take 5-10 mins of your time, but will help you loads in the long run.
Since you've just started learning classical method, you're really asking your hands and arms to do things they've never done before, and for extended periods of time. They're bound to get sore, but you can minimize it with stretches.
I do it every time I pick up my guitar, especially if I know I'll be playing for a good length of time. Stretch each muscle group each direction, and hold each stretch for a few seconds. Don't bounce the muscles as you do it, just stretch them just to the point of pain, hold for 5 seconds, release. Repeat in the opposite direction.
Give this a try.
Thank you LeftyDave. I will definately try this.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!