I posted this in gear customising section and didnt get any replies so i decided to try here:

i'm contemplating getting a new bridge and an extender key for my MIM jazz bass. i was just wondering, a) is it worth £50+ to get a badass II bridge and about the same for a hipshot extender?
b) will the extender key go straight on without me having to drill any holes or buy any new tuners?
and c) will i be ok installing them myself without any modding experience?
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I HAVE to wear my kilt every Thursday...

I'm not sure why, though.

Me too!
We should start a support group.
I installed a hipshot on my American Jazz, and it was very easy to install, even though I didn't have instructions. I didn't have to drill holes or anything. I imagine that installing one on a MIM jazz wouldn't be too hard either, as I'm pretty sure hipshot has a model that replaces the tuner directly. I'm not sure how difficult it is to replace the bridge, but I've heard that the Baddass II is pretty easy to install, as it is a direct replacement for the 5-hole Fender bridges (if I'm not mistaken). Both are worthy investments, if you ask me, but I would go for the bridge over the detuner unless you think you're going to use it a lot.

Edit:
I think this is the detuner you're looking for; I'm almost completely certain that there is no drilling involved; just take off the tuner and put this one on:
http://www.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=260
Just remember...

"If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

Last edited by aprilfool2112 at Apr 28, 2008,
both things are idiot proof, and both are wonderful additions to your bass. do it!
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Without having done either mod, I'm pretty sure both are drop in replacements for Fender hardware. If you can use a screwdriver you'll be fine.
Quote by smb
Without having done either mod, I'm pretty sure both are drop in replacements for Fender hardware. If you can use a screwdriver you'll be fine.

erm, what's this screwdriver thing?

and on a morew serious note, yea that's the one april fool
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy

Me too!
Last edited by bass dude nick at Apr 29, 2008,
calling the BA2 idiot proof isn't strictly true because you do have to file grooves into the saddles for your strings or you'll get your strings sliding all over the shop
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
The extender should bolt straight on; the baseplate's a Fender pattern, the extender key merely acts on the pinion gear at the bottom of the capstan.

You could try Schaller's bridges. No filing needed, they're Fender pattern too, and probly good enough to anchor a battleship from! Not too sure about US prices tho', given the exchange rate atm, it could be pricey.

Or if you're feeling brave, and have access to a pillar drill; convert the standard bridge over to string-thro'.
Quote by skater dan0
calling the BA2 idiot proof isn't strictly true because you do have to file grooves into the saddles for your strings or you'll get your strings sliding all over the shop

I thought you could buy them pre-grooved...? I know I saw a BA3 for sale that was.
Just remember...

"If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

Quote by aprilfool2112
I thought you could buy them pre-grooved...? I know I saw a BA3 for sale that was.

I'm pretty sure you can buy them pre-grooved also. I've seen them around, it's not all that uncommon (although, I highly recommend that Schaller bridge as well). As for the Hipshot tuner, it's a perfect replacement for your old tuner. No drilling or anything needed.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by skater dan0

all I've seen at my music shop were pregrooved.
hmm.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

well i just checked the leo quan website and there's no mention of a pre slotted BA2 but then again there's no mention of the BA3 either so i doubt the site is that up to date

EDIT

ok so you can buy pre slotted BA2's but seriously is it worth that much of a price increase to save yourself a bit of elbow grease http://www.bestbassgear.com/badass-bridge.htm
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
All of the pre-grooved BA2's I've seen are the ones people take off new fender's and sell separately. There are a few ebay stores that do pretty much nothing except chop-shop fender guitars/basses.
they probably grooved them themselves.
they keep a pet luthier in the back room.
explains the slight inconsistencies. you probably don't care as much after grooving out ten bridges.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
they probably grooved them themselves.
they keep a pet luthier in the back room.
explains the slight inconsistencies. you probably don't care as much after grooving out ten bridges.

i believe that would be the most mind numbing job in the world, being employed by fender to sit there and file slots into the BA2 bridges for the highway 1 series all day every day
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
Quote by bass dude nick
I posted this in gear customising section and didnt get any replies so i decided to try here:

i'm contemplating getting a new bridge and an extender key for my MIM jazz bass. i was just wondering, a) is it worth £50+ to get a badass II bridge and about the same for a hipshot extender?
b) will the extender key go straight on without me having to drill any holes or buy any new tuners?
and c) will i be ok installing them myself without any modding experience?

Off topic... but were you on bassworld.co.uk? I was s_u_y_* on there and remember seeing you around.
Quote by shut_up_you_***
Off topic... but were you on bassworld.co.uk? I was s_u_y_* on there and remember seeing you around.

nope, never been on there, havent even heard of it tbh

so how do you go about grooving a bridge, is it just a case of using a needle file?
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy

Me too!
Quote by skater dan0
i believe that would be the most mind numbing job in the world, being employed by fender to sit there and file slots into the BA2 bridges for the highway 1 series all day every day

not Fender... . and he doesn't do that all day, they get about 10 a month.
and Fender probably has a machine.making grooves does not require a human touch.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by bass dude nick
nope, never been on there, havent even heard of it tbh

so how do you go about grooving a bridge, is it just a case of using a needle file?

Ah... never mind. It must be a coincidence.

TBH, I would take it to a luthier for filing, just to make sure it the slots line up with your nut.
Quote by shut_up_you_***
Ah... never mind. It must be a coincidence.

TBH, I would take it to a luthier for filing, just to make sure it the slots line up with your nut.

so will most guitar stores have luthiers then?
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy

Me too!
Quote by bass dude nick
so will most guitar stores have luthiers then?

they should. I think sam ash and GC do to.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity

I wish my music shop had a luthier...
That's okay, though. It's a family-run place and they have good prices and service.

If I were you, I'd just pay the extra for the pre-grooved saddles; it's gonna cost you anyways if you have a luthier do it, and you wanna make sure it's done right. As far as the hipshot goes, I would strongly recommend one. I love mine, and I actually do use it quite a bit, and it works quite well.
Just remember...

Quote by the humanity

sound control?

just had a thought, if it's a direct upgrade for an MIM jazz (which is what i have) couldnt i just match it up to the grooves on my current bridge?
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy

Me too!
theoretically. but, you would have to be very careful. unless you are extremely patient, you won't do it as well as a luthier. even if you are, it probably won't be as good. you can though, if you don't find one nearby.
Micheal Manring uses a hyperbass with 4 Hipshot detuners, check out his work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkkzzAjSxDs
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Last edited by the humanity at May 1, 2008,
i've decided to go for the badass bridge over the challers because it's 5 hole meaning i dont have to drill into my bass, i'm also going to file the grooves myself and i'll probably leave it a while before getting a detuner since all they really do is save time. Thanks for all the advice, i'll probably try and post a pic once it's done later this month
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy

Me too!
Quote by the humanity
theoretically. but, you would have to be very careful. unless you are extremely patient, you won't do it as well as a luthier. even if you are, it probably won't be as good. you can though, if you don't find one nearby.
Micheal Manring uses a hyperbass with 4 Hipshot detuners, check out his work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkkzzAjSxDs

One thing I've noticed about this forums is that most people don't want to do things themselves. When ever a set up question, or a trouble shooting question, or a modding question comes up... half of the post are "take it to a professional"
Is it really that hard to do some research and find people that have done it themselves? Just find out what tools they used, what they did right, and try to avoid what they did wrong. Take your time and makes sure you have a really good understanding of what you are doing before you start.
Quote by terb
One thing I've noticed about this forums is that most people don't want to do things themselves. When ever a set up question, or a trouble shooting question, or a modding question comes up... half of the post are "take it to a professional"
Is it really that hard to do some research and find people that have done it themselves? Just find out what tools they used, what they did right, and try to avoid what they did wrong. Take your time and makes sure you have a really good understanding of what you are doing before you start.

i've actually been talking to this months UROTM, he's got a badass II bridge that he filed himself but he did 'v' shapes rather than 'u's, not sure what i'm gonna do yet, probably just do 'u's to about the same depth as on my current bridge
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy

Me too!