I am torn between the Blackheart BH5H and BH112 Half Stack and the Fender Super Champ XD.

They are the same price.

I need one of these for jamming with other musicians and small gigging. What would you choose?

1. Which is louder?
2.Which sounds better at higher volumes?
3.Which is overall a better value?

Thanks
E preciso amar as pessoas como se nao houvesse amanha- Renato Russo
Honestly I think both are probably too small for small gigs. I'd say 15 watts is probably the minimum.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
What kind of music do you play? I agree with Strad, 15 watts would be a minimum for small gigs.
Quote by stradivari310
Honestly I think both are probably too small for small gigs. I'd say 15 watts is probably the minimum.

The Super Champ is 15 watts. Would that make it the better choice?

The biggest place I've ever played was a small North East Philly bar. I use a Peavey TKO 80....a bass amp....

I am a "gear noob". I just play. Now that I am realizing the difference all this makes I want to up grade a little.

The Peavey is LOUDER THAN LOUD but has the tone of a fat girls queef.

I played both the Black heart and the Champ and liked them both. I need to know if they could do small (until now) non-PA'ed gigs.
Quote by gregs1020
What kind of music do you play? I agree with Strad, 15 watts would be a minimum for small gigs.

Brasilian Pop-Rock. Think nineties alternative.....

Obrigado!
I'm guessing the SC has better cleans than the BH (never tried a Fender SC)

If that's what you're looking for.

The SC is louder though from what I see (15 watts)
the SC is SS so it will be quiter. I think they meant 15w TUBE. the fender will sound better but it will be a bit quiet. you might need to save up a bit and get a Crate V18 or something. Those are pretty cheap, yet good.
Super Champ is SS for preamp and tube power. So hybrid. I played one about a week ago along side the Blues Jr and the Peavey VK112 (bought) and the Super Champ seemed a bit weak.

Can you streach your budget to accomodate one of these are beefier Blackheart?

:
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Apr 28, 2008,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Can you streach your budget to accomodate one of these are beefier Blackheart?

:

The Budget is about $350 USD. Size matters as well. I am moving from the States to Brasil in August. The Amp I take can't be too big or it won't fit in the moving boxes.

Amps in Brasil are almost double in price. For example the Super Champ is about $1700 (Braisilian Reis...thier currency....that's about $850 USD!!!!!!!)

So size matters, the more power I can pack into a smaller amp the better. Money is an issue as well (when isn't it?)
For $330, the V18-112 would be a good choice. I played one and was very impressed with the tone. If you look around on craigslist you may find a decent Blues Jr or even a Classic 30. Yes, we did mean 15 tube watts.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Blackhearts are heavier with the 12 inch speaker....
also the Fender SC is more versatile.... Blackhearts have one sound.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
huh oh, you don't want to put that in the overhead compartment do you?

he he

;

Good one. Actually it will be packed in a box with kitchen stuff my fiance got for her shower!
The volume difference in wattage isn't that huge. It just depends on speaker efficiency. And I'm not sure which speakers either of them are driving. Do they have speaker outs at all?
Thanks for all your comments and advice. I pulled the trigger and bought the Champion for 299 + tax at Melody Music in Bryn Mawr, PA. Based on it's size and weight, loudness, tone and price it just made the most sense for my needs and situation.

With that said, this amp rocks. It sounds great. The clean is very nice, which I am most picky about and it has useful effects and voicings. It really makes my Strat and Tele sound good. I really think this will hold up to a band. It shakes the sh*t out of my wood floor and windows and 3/4 potential!

One question though, Does anybody know how to get a hold of one of the foot switches? I tried google and have come up numerous occasions trying different queries. I'm stumped.
Quote by Jay Gatsby

One question though, Does anybody know how to get a hold of one of the foot switches? I tried google and have come up numerous occasions trying different queries. I'm stumped.

Anybody?