And to be honest, I don't notice a difference at ALL. I've played guitar for a few years now, I've developed my ear and I'm not stupid, but I just don't hear any difference at all. Nothing different. Muting, chords, solos, all sound like they did before. Everything sounds the exact same as my stock Epiphone pickup. And I had it professionally installed, so I made sure I didn't mess it up. It's in the bridge. The box says it'll give you a real distinct raw distorted rock sound and I've watched vids of it on youtube and it osunded great. But It just doesn't sound any different.

am I crazy?
Which of your amps did you play it through?
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
Your amp has a lot to do with it also. Most of you sound comes from your amp, and the pickups/guitar just sort of modifies that sound.

Sooooo you should probably get a new amp if you're looking for a new sound.
I recently got my pickups changed in my Epi LP as well. At first i had the same impression as you. But after a few weeks, I soon discovered what the pickups could do. Tapping and pinch harmonics were much easier and more pronounced, and I found to have more sustain as well. Your amp has much more to do with your tone then your guitar and pickups do. I see a spider in your sig, if you are palying off of that, that could be your problem.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top, SH-2 and SH-5
Ibanez GRX20
Baron Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 15
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Check the back of the pickup

Otherwise, check your ears. I've used the Distortion for years and it's truly something different. You'd notice.
Thanks for the serious replies, I was expecting otherwise.

I'm playing it through my new Crate GTD65. I'm not using any pedals right now. Don't get me wrong, I like the sound of it. It's just not quite what I expected from the new pickup. I did notice tapping sounded a LOT better. With the old pickup, I had to tap real hard on the first note and it never "sounded out" too well..now it sounds great.

@pott: Naw, this is the pickup. I know it for sure. I'm slowely starting to notice, as I just figured out that tapping soudns al ot better. I'm sure I'll get it with tone. What do you guys think of the Crate that I'm playing it through? It's a big amp, and it soudns great - I HATE the spider, I'd never take anything out of that thing seriously :P

Edit: Another thing is that my Epi bridge pickup died, and I wasn't able to play it for a week, then another week while the new pickup was being installed... so in the 2 weeks, I might have just forgotten all together what it even sounded like :P So when I got home and plugged in, I didn't notice anything really all that different.
Last edited by Slash42x at Apr 28, 2008,
And this is why people like me always say to get a new amp before new pickups, they simply don't make a massive difference otherwise. The Distortion will work great dirtying up a lower gain tube amp or roughing up something smooth like a Mesa, but through a cheap solid state amp it won't do much of anything.

It's a big amp, but it's still not very good unfortunately.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
And this is why people like me always say to get a new amp before new pickups, they simply don't make a massive difference otherwise. The Distortion will work great dirtying up a lower gain tube amp or roughing up something smooth like a Mesa, but through a cheap solid state amp it won't do much of anything.

It's a big amp, but it's still not very good unfortunately.

It's not very good? Listen man, I'm sure you have a much, much better amp than me, and I'm also sure you are 10x better at guitar than I. However, I worked very hard for a long time to be able to get this amp, and I like it, I like it a lot. People are always putting down inexpensive solid state amps and thats great, but I can't afford anything else, and I really, really like this amp. I can gig with it, its loud, and it has a nice tone. I don't know if you've ever played this specific amp, but its praised as having a great tone and soudning a lot like a tube amp.

Listen, I'm really not attacking you. I'm just saying that a lot of people like me are on budgets and get what we can, and I worked hard to be able to buy and be happy with this amp - and THAT is why it bothers me when people like you say this amp isnt that good, or this amp sucks, just like its nothing. It was a big deal for me to be able to get this. I'm happy, I really like this amp and I really like my cheap guitar.

I guess thats all that matters, right?
*shrugs*

you wanted to know why your pickup change didn't affect your tone the way you expected it to, I just told you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Whether or not you like your amp doesn't change whether or not it's below-average. I love my crappy little Fender 5w but I'd never pretend it's anything above 'not completely ****' levels of quality.

I think part of the reason why you might not notice the difference is that Epiphone's stock pickups are I think pretty above-average output anyway. So replacing that with another high-output pickup was never going to be a huge difference basically you just swapped an Alnico V magnet for a Ceramic bar magnet. And the SH-6 particularly is made to have lots of high-end response but mids and lows aren't supposed to stand out on it particularly. So the only time you should notice a difference is with things like tapping or harmonics - 'regular' playing like chords and stuff shouldn't sound that much difference, perhaps just a tiny bit clearer and producing a little more distortion but that'd be it.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Do you have an Epiphone Les Paul standard, then you have the guitar as me and I've been thinking of buying some new pickups too though this might change my mind and I'll maybe save up for a Tube amp or a pedal.
Dude? Find a friend with a high end amp, or one 'better' than yours, play your Epi through it and see if there IS a difference. Personally, I'm with anyone who hates that 'your amp is crap' thing, cos really, its HARD to save up for that gear on minimal wage (me, lol) so get what you can get and be happy. Hell to it, I unplug sometimes just to enjoy the fact that i'm PLAYING GUITAR, not that I sound freaking awsome for all the fuzz etc. You can always buy better later anyway, the amps and guitars arent going to run off with the bowel and the spoon to live with the cow on the moon.
I can do no wrong, for I do not know what wrong is.

The Gear:
Squire 50th Stratocaster (Pimped Out)
Gibson SG Standard
Tuxedo Telecaster Terror (Own Build)
Nameless Les paul
Marshall MGFX 100 Combo
Quote by tweeb
Do you have an Epiphone Les Paul standard, then you have the guitar as me and I've been thinking of buying some new pickups too though this might change my mind and I'll maybe save up for a Tube amp or a pedal.
If you don't have a tube amp already then you should definitely get that first. A better amp should always be your main priority.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by steven seagull
*shrugs*

you wanted to know why your pickup change didn't affect your tone the way you expected it to, I just told you.

+1

if you're on such a budget you probably shouldn't be wasting what you have on new pickups...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

if you're on such a budget you probably shouldn't be wasting what you have on new pickups...

+ a few more.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
i wish the other guys didnt +1 already, cause i was going to. ^

i did notice a difference when i upgraded stock schecter pups, for duncans, even thru an old mg amp. BUT it was so subtle, compared to when i upgraded the amp.

now i always , always ask, "so what amp?" that's the answer to ur question.

good luck
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^ yeah, i noticed a difference when i upgraded when i still had an avt (but i was buying a new amp later)... new amp made the bigger difference, by far.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for all the responses.
@steven: Don't worry bud, I didn't mean to attack you, I was just flustered about things and was trying to make a point. Thanks for your replies.
Also, I think I'm going to take my guitar to Guitar Center and play it through a few different high-end amps.
Quote by Slash42x
Also, I think I'm going to take my guitar to Guitar Center and play it through a few different high-end amps.

No probs

Best thing to do would actually be to see if you can A/B your guitar with a stock Epi and see hoe it compares in a straight comparison.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Now thats a great idea! O.O I'll bring my guitar and plug it into the same amp as the stock verison of my guitar.. woot!