Page 1 of 2
Yup, a Squier LP mod. Weird, huh? Look:
http://www.1728.com/guitar3.htm (very first mod)
Here's a video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jUMNwkoalKA
The one he's using is an actual Fender I think (and for those who don't know, Squier is owned by Fender, and it's just like cheaper quality).

I personally like my Squier very much, it came from a starter pack, but has a nice alder body and a metallic red finish. So I want to do the same thing he did, but don't want to put too many unnecessary switches in and rather like to keep it simple by combining different things into one.

So what you'd need is all the basic stuff a strat has, like pickups and a 5-way switch (lol), but needed to add two switches: an on-on SPDT mini-switch and an on-on DPDT mini-switch. Personally I think they look ugly on a strat, so I was thinking of using two push-pull pots where the two tone pots used to be. I'm new to all these electronics and stuff... so:

Questions
1. A push-pull pot is like a regular volume/tone pot combined with a DPDT switch, correct?
2. Could a push-pull pot used as an SPDT, just using the left (or right) three of the six prongs at the bottom portion of the pot?
3. In a push-pull pot, the two middle prongs (as opposed to top or the bottom of the six prongs at the lower section) are the poles, and the corresponding (left or right) upper and lower prongs are the throws, right?
4. If all of the above are correct, then is there any other reason that this could not work?

Thanks... Asfastasdark.

By the way: I'm also thinking about throwing in a black pickguard, black buttons, black pickup covers, black tremolo cover, etc.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Oh god that's one heck of a confusing diagram...
I'm usually OK with wiring diagrams and stuff like that, but that diagram is just plain confusing.

I saw the actual site and the video, I know what each switch is supposed to do, but I just can't make heads or tails of that diagram.
Could you explain a bit more? Cause this seems like an interesting thing to do over the summer.

Thanks for the idea =P
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
That's a pretty nice idea.
Sure it isn't particually original but it gave some nice tones.

And it's fairly simple. One switch turns "humbucker mode" on or off, the other switch changes "humbuckers".

And the diagram isn't too hard either. Just look at where the wires are going. .
Well, since nobody answered:

1. A push-pull pot is like a regular volume/tone pot combined with a DPDT switch, correct? Yes.
2. Could a push-pull pot used as an SPDT, just using the left (or right) three of the six prongs at the bottom portion of the pot? Yes.
3. In a push-pull pot, the two middle prongs (as opposed to top or the bottom of the six prongs at the lower section) are the poles, and the corresponding (left or right) upper and lower prongs are the throws, right? Yep.
4. If all of the above are correct, then is there any other reason that this could not work? Nope.

Also, that diagram is super-easy to follow; try reading a schematic...
Thanks for answering, Invader Jim! By the way the original schematic was NOT by me. Two more questions though: In the wire (straight lines) there are three little blocks. What do they represent? And is there any certain type of wire I should use?
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Wooot. Invader_Jim is God of everything electronic!
ESP Eclipse-II VTB (With 18v Mod)
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
Quote by tomypg
Wooot. Invader_Jim is God of everything electronic!

Lol, +100000000 to that
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
The top,blue box is the pick-ups. and the bottem blue box is the switches.

ESP Eclipse-II VTB (With 18v Mod)
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
No, I meant the blocks that actually look like tiny little squares. They are 9x9 pixel squares, like here:
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Those are just dots to show that the 2 wires are connected. I'd recommend 22 or 24 AWG wire. Perfect for guitar work.

Also, it seems I've attained quite a reputation in the GB&C...
What would be cool is if you rigged up a system to allow pickups to be changed like in an SNES cartridge.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Quote by Invader Jim
I would buy that.

Hmmm... ACTUALLY... I just got an idea...

What's your idea?
Quote by Kensai
^probably to rig up something just like that. (the SNES game pickup things)

You could probably do it with something like the EMG quick connect style things, just have them mounted and set to line up with a quick connect on the pickup.

Now you've got me thinking......

But anyway, sorry for spamming up the thread a bit, TS... Invader Jim's pretty much got all your questions covered..
Wait... so those squares are three wires connected together? And btw James4, don't worry about it...
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
^ they're actually just 2 wires soldered together. it looks like 3 because one wire is shown soldered to the middle of the other wire. To simplify it a bit, the two dots you circled on the right side of the picture are both on grounded wires, so you can just solder then both to a common ground (the back of a pot, most likely), and the one circled on the left can just be soldered right to one of the lugs on the switch that the other wire goes to (rather than soldering it to the middle of the wire, which wouldn't make much sense).

Hopefully that made enough sense and you know what I meant.... I'm way too tired for this right now.....
Thanks, James, I knew what grounding was... but I had expected them to use the grounding "symbol"...
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Allright, well - I've gone and made a bit of a fool of myself trying this out (I should really stick to pedal building ) I've run into some trouble and before I go and set to troubleshooting all my wiring I want to ask about the pickup selector.

My pickup selector actually has 6 lugs on which to solder, and I was wondering which is denoted within the blue square.

I plan on basically redoing all of the wiring, but if someone wants to chime in with a suggestion it would be greatly appreciated.

g/bedit: Actually, looking on the original site they state "The series sound will only work if the 5 way pickup switch is in positions 1, 3 or 5", this doesn't mean that I will have no sound in 2 and 4 correct? I ask because I seem to have nothing on 4 right now and I'd like to cover all my bases.
Last edited by guitar/bass76 at May 4, 2008,
I think they only show 4 of the six lugs on the switch since they are the only ones to which something is being soldered. I don't know whether the one in the blue box would be the first or the fifth position though...
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Quote by Invader Jim
I would buy that.

Hmmm... ACTUALLY... I just got an idea...

EMG make pickups with prongs on the end that attach to terminals on the wires going to the pots. Also the ampeg dan armstrong has pickups that slot in and out without screws or anything.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
EMG make pickups with prongs on the end that attach to terminals on the wires going to the pots. Also the ampeg dan armstrong has pickups that slot in and out without screws or anything.

Ya, EMG's use those quick-release thingies, but they aren't like actual NES cartridge thingies.
Quote by Kensai
Quote by Generalpwnt
Ya, EMG's use those quick-release thingies, but they aren't like actual NES cartridge thingies.

yeah but i think the dan armstrong pickups do literally slot in and out just like super nintendo cartriges.

Maybe this guitar would look good with pickups like that though:

Quote by uRizen

EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
yeah but i think the dan armstrong pickups do literally slot in and out just like super nintendo cartriges.

Maybe this guitar would look good with pickups like that though:

Actually, I was originally going to suggest it in that thread, but I accidentally put it in this thread.
Quote by Kensai
Sorry to bump this, but I actually started doing the mod yesterday :-o. I need some help here...

The blue box: what terminal is that??? My switch has 10, I already figured out the top three terminals by simply following some wires, but what about that one in blue?

Also, the wire coming from the large (DPDT) switch's center (seen from top to bottom) - right terminal: where do I solder the other end to? To the output jack? Because the "Output" and "+" got me confused, because I'm not sure whether they mean the same thing.

Thanks...
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Bump: Someone know the answer to the question? Anyone?
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
It's probably the 'common' lug on the switch. The switch connects that lug to one of the other three in each of its throws.

edit: The Output and + probably just means the positive lug on the output jack.
Erm... Invader Jim? do you know where the other end of the "common lug" wire would be connected to?
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Well, that's just it: the common lug of the switch is connected to the wire coming from the 'hot' (from the volume, pickups, etc.). Remember: it's just a 3-way pickup switch.

edit: It's not a 5-way because the mod will only work in positions 1, 3, and 5 (where multiple pups are not selected). In other words, it'll go dead on positions 2 and 4 on a 5-way, so you'll need to get a 3-way switch.
Last edited by Invader Jim at Jun 13, 2008,
Wait, so does that mean I can't just put my switch in position one, three, or five when the mod is "active" and any other position when the mod is not "active"? Because in the video the guy just has a five-way switch.
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Well, you could figure out a way to wire it 'normal' for positions 2 and 4, but as is, it'll go dead in those two positions b/c there isn't even anything connected to them, as it's only a 3-way in the diagram.
dude i own a squire to. its a good guitar, but theres better. yeah it says made from alder but alder saw dust.
GTFO, there not made from saw dust, some of the higher end ones are infact very nice guitars and seeing as your relatively new, i'd be nice
Just to stay off-topic, mine is a one-piece alder and works fine. First guitar though, hoping to get a firebird later. But seriously though, which lug is the common lug, and what is the other end of its wire connected to???
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Page 1 of 2