Basically. Looking to put one in on my 'strat' guitar. Should I get a Dog Ear style or a Soapbar style? And how do you mount the sucker?
Dog ear, then you cut the pickguard to fit the pickup, drill, then wire it in.
you will need to route for it and cause its front loaded, you will need soapbar
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Both dogear and soapbar are direct mount. The screws go thru the pickup and into the body, the spring is under the pickup. A strat would need wood routed to use a dogear at all. A soapbar would fit alot easier but wouldnt mount to the pickguard like strat ones do. Height adjust wouldnt be an issue with sopabars just be more of a pain if you wanted to take the pickguard out alot.
^ you'll put more $$$ into the P-90 than the guitar itself!!!!!!!
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by ldnovelo
its a starcaster. Not worth it

If I wanted the opinions like this I wouldn't have asked the question. Take that **** elswhere, because I don't care if it's not worth it to you, because it is to me. Not only for the tonal differentiation, but for the experience of modding an instrument. It's worth it to me, because despite the detractors and elitists, it's still a good guitar. 50 bucks for a new pickup isn't that bad anyway.

Quote by Tackleberry
Both dogear and soapbar are direct mount. The screws go thru the pickup and into the body, the spring is under the pickup. A strat would need wood routed to use a dogear at all. A soapbar would fit alot easier but wouldnt mount to the pickguard like strat ones do. Height adjust wouldnt be an issue with sopabars just be more of a pain if you wanted to take the pickguard out alot.

That's what I thought. Why would it be a pain to take the pickguard off, though?
na. pickguard=easy to take off, just unscrew it.

My friend has a starcaster... it plays pretty good. My Ibby pwns it tho...
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
the problem with just takin the pickguard off- a strat if front routed- the electrics are all attached to the pickguard
what u could do is cut a p-90 sized hole in the pickguard
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
The pickguard itself isnt hard to take off. Because the pickups and all electronics are mounted to it. But if you used a direct mount soapbar when you took off the guard the pickup would stay behind with wires going back and forth. Not that you would need to take it off alot.
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
you will need to route for it and cause its front loaded, you will need soapbar

It's routed for buckers, so I can just cut the picguard and pop it in there. thanks
Quote by Tackleberry
The pickguard itself isnt hard to take off. Because the pickups and all electronics are mounted to it. But if you used a direct mount soapbar when you took off the guard the pickup would stay behind with wires going back and forth. Not that you would need to take it off alot.

That's what I thought you meant. I have taken the pickguard off a few times before, so I was wondering what the difference would be.