So me and a few friends are interested in forming a band together. what we have done is make a list of songs we all know, and get together and play them, and see how that goes. We will be using an empty living room in my house (this is where i need help). We will have 1 guitar amp (2x12) 1 bass amp, a drum kit, and someone singing with a cheap mic through a guitar amp. I need to know what would be the best way to set everything up (where amps face and such). The room is a rectangle if that helps. Any advice on this would be great, since this is my first jam with a drummer , i hope you guys will understand what im talking about.
Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
^Yes. Set up on the left side of the room and aim everything to the right, or something like that.
Signature temporarily empty
The drummer won't make any difference but place him in the corner. Then put your amps on top of stools are something similar and face them into the room. Have the singer stand right up the front and have the rest of the band near their amps but not too close, you don't want to create feedback. What kind of amp are you using for vocals? Is it screamo stuff?
Quote by AngryGoldfish
The drummer won't make any difference but place him in the corner. Then put your amps on top of stools are something similar and face them into the room. Have the singer stand right up the front and have the rest of the band near their amps but not too close, you don't want to create feedback. What kind of amp are you using for vocals? Is it screamo stuff?

so basically i should set it up similar to how it would be on stage, but not exactly?, im not sure what kind of amp, and its metal, we are just gonna see if my friend can sing
Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
I would set the amp used as a monitor as far away from the mic as you can. Do NOT point the mic towards it no matter what. (Put your singer behind it? Idunno)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Well the problem area will not be where you put your guitar amps, but it will be the amp you are using for the vocals. If you are trying to see how well he can sing, you will have problems hearing him, and will then turn the amp up, which will no doubt cause horific feedback. Try and face the singer well away from the amps, he will pose most of your issues. Everything else is not that important, and will only make any noticeable difference in a studio situation. And it sounds to me that your just trying to get things off the ground.
Its good practise to have all your band mates facing away from the drummer, steady in the positions you would intend on using in a live situation. That way, you become accustomed to not looking at your mates for cues.
Other than that, its all bais towards what kind of room you have, how loud your drummer is, how much gain you use, what kind of amps you have etc. So...no one can tell you excatly what you should do, because it could be totally wrong for your situation.