Ok I'm getting better with sweeping and I'm trying to move up to 5-string stuff and I can't really get it. I need to know if theres a certain gauge of pick I should have and what should the settings be on my amp?
i use a jazz 3 pick to try and play faster but some people use thin picks to play faster. all personal opinion i guess
My Gear:
Jay Turser Warlock
Baraccuda Strat
Takamine EG523SC
Samick Acoustic
Vox AD50VT
Boss DS-1
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Generally for complex techniques I'd use like a Jazz III pick. And since I can't sweep well at all... well... uh...I think sweeping sounds best on a setting with some gain, but not like wicked hot distortion or something... beats me, whatever sounds good I guess.
Don't overdo it on the distortion, you need to here what you are doing. Use a nice warm, thick sound. Alternatively you could switch your guitar to the neck pickup, it sonds way better that way. Picks vary with taste, but try softer picks and then move to heavier ones as you become more accustomed to the motion of sweeping.
i've been sweeping for about a year now and i've found that dunlop nylon tortex picks are the are the best picks for sweeping. tone wise, i think the neck pickup has the the best sound. just my opinion tho...
Quote by Sadbutrue62
Ok I'm getting better with sweeping and I'm trying to move up to 5-string stuff and I can't really get it. I need to know if theres a certain gauge of pick I should have and what should the settings be on my amp?

Neither of these will help; you've just got to keep on hammering away until you get it, metronome style.

Remember: a poor workman blames his tools. </cliche>
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Thicker the pick, the better. Easier for everything once you're used to it.
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.