Hi I'm a n00b at recording, never used or owned any recording equipment. I've learned a bit from reading the stickies and this is what I came up with to achieve the tone in this video
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KzAfatAMOQ4 (first 45 seconds)
And I also have a modest budget, 200USD max, I was wondering if the Gearbox could achieve that kind of tone or if I should just get an m-audio usb and use free-software and effects. I have a Dell laptop, not sure if it has firewire but it has a small plug labeled 1394. I would like a nice lead tone similar to that of satriani and a decent metal tone similar of that to megadeth and metallica.
Schecter Daimen FR Special
Guitar Rig 3
Gearbox is really pricey for what it does...one of them's $500. And it's hard to say for sure if it'll do it.

In any case, the Firewire or any USB port on your Dell should work well with any interface. Since you only plan on recording guitar, there's nothing wrong with getting a Toneport GX and trying those amps. It should give you a clean sound that you can use for other free amp models, or to manipulate with other programs. Of these, you may want to try Izotope's Trash, since it's really flexible in creating tones and fairly inexpensive. If you plan on doing live stuff, get at least a Pod 2.0.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Apr 29, 2008,
Yeah, it'll work. In the manual, there are settings to specify where it'll send the audio, so there shouldn't be a problem. There are also routing diagrams showing that it doesn't need Gearbox as an intermediary.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

Thanks. I was wondering if you could use a mixer for a xlr input. Is there a guide for that?
Guitar Rig 3
They mentioned that DI boxes could come in one of the GX's ports. I'm thinking you could use a microphone preamp (Art MP is an awesome value) and stick it there (their output is almost always 1/4"). A mixer isn't necessary.
Quote by keiron_d

I was never happy with the sound from Gearbox and any money spend on the software upgrade packs isn't worth it IMO...

I would stick with amplitube or something similar instead of Gearbox.

The interface itself is fine for messin around but keep in mind they are 1.1 USB connected compared to the faster 2.0 USB or Firewire.
Isn't amplitude alone cost more than the gearbox? Is there a cheaper alternitive?
Guitar Rig 3