I'd personally recommend a distortion bedal, however the maxon should work for good over drive, don't rule out the Ibanez tubescreamers though those are AWESOME!
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60
Avatar cab with Man O War, Black Powder speakers
Schecter 20th Aniv. Stealth #07 out of 100
look for Boss SuperDrive or a bad monkey
So many jerks, so few bullets
No distortion pedal for the B-52. Od is better. I think the Bad Monkey might be good for the boosting cleans But I don't really know why you need any more gain for metal. the b-52 has a lot on tap. The Monkey could maybe tighten it up. I've also heard the Big muff and metal muff frequently recommended but I think they might be distortion pedals. Tubescreamers are good as well.
I have a bad monkey- for the price they are good, but the lack of a mid control kinda sux tbh.

Edit: I have a Metal Muff and its an awesome pedal, from small overdrive- to rock- to metal- to all out bone crushing power chords with massive chug it can do it all as far as I'm concerned .
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60
Avatar cab with Man O War, Black Powder speakers
Schecter 20th Aniv. Stealth #07 out of 100
Last edited by Drewski09 at Apr 28, 2008,
Love my bad monkey on the overdrive/distortion channel but do not like the bad monkey for adding a boost to my cleans. I love my cleans on my valveking. The only problem is that when I think of want I boosted cleans lto sound like, I always dream of the Xotic BB preamp and the Andy Timmons demo on you tube. I want that pedal, and yes I realize that I do not have all of that equipment and it would not sound the same with my valveking but I can dream can't I?
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Hand Built(by me) guitar w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Digitech Hardwire Chromatic Tuner
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
Maxon OD-9 for sure...If you can afford it I recommend the Maxon OD-9 pro+.The Bad Monkey works good also but not better than my Maxon IMO. I have both so its my honest comparison.