Well I did a bad job explaining my post in the title. but what I mean to ask is, how long did it take you to be able to know where the strings are so you dont have to look at your strumming hand? and i'm mainly talking about basic stuff...i've been playing for a little over three weeks now at around 2-3 hours per day and I still really cannot play unless i'm looking at my right hand. I'm guessing this is normal but when is it an appropriate time to quit looking?
to do it good probably around a year. but if you memorize it really good then you could play a song without looking..it also depends on how fast you learn..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
There really isn't a set time to learn different things; just learn at your own pace and don't worry about how fast anyone else learns. I'd say to quit looking whenever you feel comfortable with it.
DRINK APPLE JUICE
O.J. will kill you
Sometimes I need to look at my picking hand, and my fretting hand automatically goes where I need it too. Other times its the opposite. I've been playing about 7-8 months.

Just keep at it and you'll naturally stop looking when you're comfortable. There's nothing wrong with looking.
thats odd...i never looked at my left hand (im a lefty) i used to always look at the hand on the fretboard but stopped after a month...i guess everyones different though..just stop when you feel like it
YOUR FACE.
at a certain point, there's no need to look at it, it happens eventually, just keep practicing
Ya it just takes a little bit of time, but my focus was always on the fretboard as that was where the "action" happened So i naturally didn't look at my right hand as much. But i had a hell of a time learning where the strings were, i still hit the wrong strings a lot. I've been playing off and on for a year.
i don't really look at my strumming hand, but occasionally i look at my fretting hand just to make sure every now and then that i'm playing the right thing, but as others have said you stop looking when you feel comfortable it took me a while when i started just practise playing until you feel ready to look away and if you've been playin for about 3 weeks it's not gonna be easy to do it at first but eventually you'll get the hang of it
[He who makes a beast out of himself, Gets rid of the pain of being a man]