Hi guys. Recently it's struck me that I really, really need a new amp. My normal amp (which sucks anyway) has to remain at school until the end of the year and I am currently playing on a ****ty little danelectro 1w battery-powered, toneless amp. Needless to say, I am going insane.

So, if you guys could recommend me an amp, that'd be amazing. My price range is anything $500 or less. I'd like to buy my first tube amp with this, but that presents another problem: I play basically anything I'm in the mood for (blues, metal, whatever) so it would have to have both a solid clean and distortion channel. I figured a modeling amp would be more practical but if I'm going to spend the money, I might as well get a tube. Also, if it could be loud enough for practice/small gigs, that would be amazing also.

I know, I'm picky, but if you guys have any amp recommendations, please post them.

PS I was looking at the Peavey Valveking for awhile but then heard it had a bad distortion channel.
DRINK APPLE JUICE
O.J. will kill you
valveking is golden with a tubescreamer in front of it

disto is not that bad onit

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

fender deville. the cheapest and best fender tube amp on the market. they are completely bitchin.
Gear:
-Fender American Deluxe Strat HSS
-Fender Twin Reverb '65 Reissue
-And all the fuzz a man needs
+1 for the Valveking
Gear
Epi Les Paul
Fender Monterey Replica
Line 6 Spider 2
Fulltone Fulldrive 2
Vox wah pedal
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Equalizer

Wanted
Fender Blues Jr.
Line 6 DL4 Delay
Quote by Ringtone

PS I was looking at the Peavey Valveking for awhile but then heard it had a bad distortion channel.

The Valveking is pretty good..but the cleans are..um..well, they just suck. There's probably a better option out there, it has good distortion and what not, though.

My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
Quote by I Be Andyy
The Valveking is pretty good..but the cleans are..um..well, they just suck. There's probably a better option out there, it has good distortion and what not, though.

I like the cleans on mine, the lead channel sounds like plastic.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
So you guys think I should just go with the Valveking?

If the distortion is as bad as I've heard though, a pedal would fix most of that, right?
DRINK APPLE JUICE
O.J. will kill you
Quote by Ringtone
So you guys think I should just go with the Valveking?

If the distortion is as bad as I've heard though, a pedal would fix most of that, right?

If you have the money for a B-52 AT112/212 and play more metal, go with that.

Otherwise, the Valveking is pretty good choice. Just get a two-button footswitch, a tech to look at the footswitch plug (there's something up with it apparently that causes a small gap of sound when switching), and it's good.

The overdrive on the amp is not THAT bad. I got a pretty good Metallica tone straight out of the box, without scooping my mids.
But, I have to say, with the OD and EQ in front, I can pull of As I Lay Dying, Trivium, Killswitch Engage, and I was pretty close to getting an In Flames, but my pickups suck.

I'd suggest getting a noise suppressor, too. I have my chain like this:

Guitar-->wah-->Bad Monkey-->EQ-->low gain channel

I get the sounds mentioned above, and get minimal feedback. But if I'd plug straight into the high gain, it would feedback like crazy.
i am getting a refund 2 and im prolly gonna end up getting the roland cube 60w ive heard good things about it
id say that the classic 30 is a better peavey than the valveking. you can easily pick one up used for under $500. probably wont do metal on its own, but with a nice od it can. probably wont be as great for the br00talz, but it does everything from clean up through hard rock well. its just that amps in that price range arent ever going to be great at everything. id say if you are more towards the gain side of things, id try out the b52 mentioned. ive never played it, but its supposed to be quite nice.