Okay, I'm considering purchasing a rack effects processors in the later part of this summer.

I've never dealt with anything like this, so I'm a bit dumbfounded on it. Would I just be able to run the effects, or would I need another unit to do something so it would work?

Ones I a considering:

TC Electronics G Major
PodXT Pro
Boss GT-Pro

Should I be considering others?

Would I really need this? I am planning to be gigging over the break with a band or so. But, I'm not 100% sure of that.

I'd be buying a relatively cheap MIDI foot controller...and of course, all equipment will be bought used.
Will you be using them with your current amp? (the Valveking)

If so get the G-major. The Pod would be good if you were running into a transparent power amp (the Pod is a preamp also), but if you are using the Valveking I would run the G-Major through your amps effects loop.

I don't know much about the Boss unit sorry.
Fender 60W Super-Sonic Head
Fender 2x12 Cabinet (Vintage 30s)
TC Electronics G Major
Boss Blues Driver BD-2 w/ Keeley mod
MXR 6 Band EQ
BB Preamp
TS-9
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

American Fender Stratocaster
Quote by StriferDiem
Will you be using them with your current amp? (the Valveking)

If so get the G-major. The Pod would be good if you were running into a transparent power amp (the Pod is a preamp also), but if you are using the Valveking I would run the G-Major through your amps effects loop.

I don't know much about the Boss unit sorry.

Yes, I was planning on using the Valveking (sorry I did not mention it).

I have heard that the G Major does run better with combos, but I wasn't too sure if there was any real tone loss.
You could check out the Rocktron XPression - it's pretty similar so the G-Major.

Are you planning on using the amp's distortion and stuff? Cause then you'd want something without a preamp, just with some nice transparent effects.

It's in the same kinda price range.
Quote by dudey5691
Yes, I was planning on using the Valveking (sorry I did not mention it).

I have heard that the G Major does run better with combos, but I wasn't too sure if there was any real tone loss.

In my experience I have never had any tone loss with the G-major.

The thing about the Line6 is it is essentially designed to run into a power amp or directly into a PA (because of the amp modelling), if you through it front of your combo you won't get the best results, and you would be stacking 2 preamps together.

You 'could' run the line 6 through your effects loop and just disable the amp modelling and overdrives and get the same effects as the gmajor (I used to run a pod xtlive this way), or into your amps effects return and make use of the Line6 amp models.

Looking at your setup though, you'd be best with a G-Major in your loop, and all your OD pedals in front of your amp (this is what I do, so maybe I am biased here). Just get a 4 unit rack case, so you have room to expand in the future
TC Electronics G Major
MXR 6 Band EQ
BB Preamp
TS-9
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by the-patient
You could check out the Rocktron XPression - it's pretty similar so the G-Major.

Are you planning on using the amp's distortion and stuff? Cause then you'd want something without a preamp, just with some nice transparent effects.

It's in the same kinda price range.

How does the XPression rack up against the G Major? I'm listening to clips and I'm quite impressed right now.

Yes, I was planning on using the amp's onboard overdrive and clean.

*after reading some reviews it seems many were pleased, but also some went on to buy G Majors...???
Quote by StriferDiem
In my experience I have never had any tone loss with the G-major.

The thing about the Line6 is it is essentially designed to run into a power amp or directly into a PA (because of the amp modelling), if you through it front of your combo you won't get the best results, and you would be stacking 2 preamps together.

You 'could' run the line 6 through your effects loop and just disable the amp modelling and overdrives and get the same effects as the gmajor (I used to run a pod xtlive this way), or into your amps effects return and make use of the Line6 amp models.

Looking at your setup though, you'd be best with a G-Major in your loop, and all your OD pedals in front of your amp (this is what I do, so maybe I am biased here). Just get a 4 unit rack case, so you have room to expand in the future

I just realized the G Major lacks the ring modulation MUSE uses

Would it be worth buying the POD if I was doing that, or would it be better to get transparent effects?

I guess I don't need that certain effect...
Last edited by dudey5691 at Apr 28, 2008,
Quote by dudey5691
I just realized the G Major lacks the ring modulation MUSE uses

Would it be worth buying the POD if I was doing that, or would it be better to get transparent effects?

I guess I don't need that certain effect...

Well thats the thing about gear, you have to go with what works for you

If you go with the pod just don't use the distortions or amp modeling, hook it up through your effects loop (the amp models and distortions will not sound good running this way) and you've got a unit that will do what the G-Major does.
TC Electronics G Major
MXR 6 Band EQ
BB Preamp
TS-9
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by StriferDiem
Well thats the thing about gear, you have to go with what works for you

If you go with the pod just don't use the distortions or amp modeling, hook it up through your effects loop (the amp models and distortions will not sound good running this way) and you've got a unit that will do what the G-Major does.

But then the other bonuses of the rack would go to waste

Well, maybe I don't need the ringmod...does Muse even really use it that much? (if you know) I know they used one for "New Born", but that may be it.
I know the floor pod x3 allows you to hook up using 4 cables, so that the distortion/amp effects will run into the front of your amp, and the delays/verbs/mods will run through your amps effects loop, this way you can use your amps channels in conjunction with it. If the floor X3 does it you'd be certain the rack version (X3 pro?) would do that also.

To be honest though, I don't think a Pod is what you need (other than for that one effect :P).
TC Electronics G Major
MXR 6 Band EQ
BB Preamp
TS-9
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by StriferDiem
I know the floor pod x3 allows you to hook up using 4 cables, so that the distortion/amp effects will run into the front of your amp, and the delays/verbs/mods will run through your amps effects loop, this way you can use your amps channels in conjunction with it. If the floor X3 does it you'd be certain the rack version (X3 pro?) would do that also.

To be honest though, I don't think a Pod is what you need (other than for that one effect :P).

Yes, I've been thinking that it would be a waste of $100 since I would not be using the most regarded part of it.

So, that leaves the G Major...maybe the Rocktron Xpression? I'm leaning toward the G Major, though, just because from the clips I've heard/seen, it is pretty much awesome.

What's a pretty good budget MIDI foot controller? I saw something by Rolls that looked promising...and cheap. But I'm open to suggestions. I'd prefer one with a good amount of switches.
Check out Tech 21 for foot controllers, they make large ones, medium ones, and very small ones.

But any cheap midi board would do.
TC Electronics G Major
MXR 6 Band EQ
BB Preamp
TS-9
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah