Well I recently got a 1972 Fender Twin Reverb blackface given to me from my girlfriend. She said she used to play it when she was younger and stopped around 7 years ago and said it worked then. It has been sitting in a closet since then. So when I finally get a chance to play it, I plug everything in and low and behold: The amp produces no sound. I've checked the patch cables, turned up all the knobs, and even used different guitars on it and it still doesn't make a sound. I checked the tubes and all are functional, I cleaned the pots, and even checked the fuse on it too. It still doesn't work and it's frustrating.

Any thoughts?

Help me
if it's 72 it's not blackface. is the plate the knobs are on silver or black? if it's black it's pre-67
Quote by freedumb
if it's 72 it's not blackface. is the plate the knobs are on silver or black? if it's black it's pre-67

it could be modded to Blackface specs.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
1. Your girlfriend sounds like a keeper!

2. Check the speaker and work your way backwards from there. Give the speaker connections a wiggle in case they've oxidised, and also give the reverb tank a sharp tap to see if the sound problem is nearer to the input or output stage of the amp. try plugging the speaker into a different amp if you can to ensure that's alright.

If you check everything methodically you might be able to isolate the problem, but unless you're an experienced tech there's not a huge amount else you can do, short of find an experienced tech.
It's a blackface. And it's a CBS era amplifier. She thought it was a 1972. I checked the tube layout chart on the inside left of the amp cabinet and it doesn't have the stamps that indicate the year so I assumed it was what she said it was.
^in that case take it to a shop. that is an incredible amplifier, and as long as it costs less than 1500 bucks to fix you're getting a great deal!
Quote by kyle62
1. Your girlfriend sounds like a keeper!

2. Check the speaker and work your way backwards from there. Give the speaker connections a wiggle in case they've oxidised, and also give the reverb tank a sharp tap to see if the sound problem is nearer to the input or output stage of the amp. try plugging the speaker into a different amp if you can to ensure that's alright.

If you check everything methodically you might be able to isolate the problem, but unless you're an experienced tech there's not a huge amount else you can do, short of find an experienced tech.

yes she is

I plugged the speakers into my solid state and they worked fine, I checked the connections and the seem o be in working order too. I checked the reverb tank too and it looks like it's working.

The pilot light is working too. I'm thinking I should check the output of the transformer with a multi-meter because I've heard of shorting in tube amps. Any other tests I should consider?
The main output transformer's the next thing I'd try, though anything beyond that and you may as well just go to a tech. Make sure you try all the simple stuff that's commonly overlooked, dodgy input jacks and the like. Best of luck
This definitely sounds like an output transformer. The fact that the pilot light comes on means that you've got power from the rectifier, so the problem is in the signal path somewhere. If you're sure it's not the tubes, check the transformer. Take a look at the input jack too.
Quote by kyle62
The main output transformer's the next thing I'd try, though anything beyond that and you may as well just go to a tech. Make sure you try all the simple stuff that's commonly overlooked, dodgy input jacks and the like. Best of luck

It reads at .4 ohms. But I guess since it's only 4 ohms output a low reading would be understandable. I also checked the jacks and they look fine. I think I'm just gonna get it repaired.

Just got off the phone and my girlfriend came through again. She's getting her step-dad to take my amp to a tech at pawn shop he owns and repair it free of charge. Wow.
i hate you man...not really...im just jelous..
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
I doubt anyone is following this but I just found out it is a 1965 .

I just got it fixed and now I'm waiting for new tubes because the old ones were over a decade old and were about to go (Even with the old tubes it sounded awesome). I'll put pictures and a sound clip when I get a chance
Blackfaces were made between '64-'67 and between '80-'82. It is very possible that it could be a silverface with a non-original faceplate. It would say CBS on it if made between '65 and '85.

Why leads you to believe it's from '65?
Quote by A Clever Name
I doubt anyone is following this but I just found out it is a 1965 .

I just got it fixed and now I'm waiting for new tubes because the old ones were over a decade old and were about to go (Even with the old tubes it sounded awesome). I'll put pictures and a sound clip when I get a chance

words cant describe how jealous i am. haha. i cant wait to hear it and see pics.

ill give you 20 bucks for it? haha
Quote by mr_hankey
Blackfaces were made between '64-'67 and between '80-'82. It is very possible that it could be a silverface with a non-original faceplate. It would say CBS on it if made between '65 and '85.

Why leads you to believe it's from '65?

Well here's the story, I was at my girlfriend's step-dad's pawn shop and the guy who fixes amplifiers and guitars offered me $950 for the amp right when I asked him to pick it up. So I knew something was up and so I told him the amp is not for sale and asked him why does he want it so bad and he just said that the dates on the transistors inside the amp say it's from '65 and my jaw just dropped. So that's how I came to that conclusion

Oh and after that I asked my girlfriend to ask her step-mom where she got it from (Because her step mom gave it to her) and she told her some old dude in Lubbock, TX had it in a garage sale while she was in college in 1979 because she needed an amp to work on something (Her step-mom has a master degree in music theory, and trust me she is the bomb when it comes to music.) and just bought it because it was insanely cheap, I think she said $130 ha.

chea_man I'll give you my amp in my will haha