My band has a gig coming up this Saturday, and we have been rehearsing for that I (Guitar), would sing 3 songs, cause our new singer hasn't had much time spent on those 3 songs I'm singing, and I'd figure I'd try to get comfortable singing in front of a crowd. My bass player called me today, and said when we play our cover of "In Bloom" by Nirvana, which I was planning on singing, he said he wants this guy we know to sing the song, just, because he has a more Kurt Cobain voice/attitude towards life. I told him I didn't want someone else singing the song, that I was planned to sing, and that I want to sing too. My bass player says it wouldn't matter, because him and our drummer would agree to get the other guy I don't want to sing the song, and I said what if our singer, who prefers not to sing Nirvana, votes against it, so it would be a 2 against 2 vote. My bass player says it wouldn't matter, and majority rules, so my opinion doesn't count what so ever in that choice, and I feel it's wrong. Does anybody have advice on how a band should agree and come to terms on things like these, and deciding which songs you choose to cover, and what originals you want to learn (I'm only contributer of originals). Sorry for the wall of text.
i'd say a singer who's not in the band is a bad idea.....it's just kind of random
Quote by bi-ah!
this is UG
of course they're going to say
0H it'5 @ jAcK50l\l!??!?!
iT i5 TeH p\/\/naG3!!!

but yeah its fine
drummers vote doesnt matter anyway lol
Gear:
Guitars/ Basses:
PRS SE singlecut w/Tremolo
Epiphone Sg
Epiphone Thunderbird

Waiting in the wings:
Squier Strat mod
(soon to start)

Amps:
Line 6 Spider JAM
Peavey Max 115 bass amp
not a good idea to have a singer for just one song
but it could work

now on the topic
does he sing the song better than you? or you just sing it with you style(my gues)?
if you are singing with your style then do it yourself instead of asking some guy to sing it
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
So they want someone to just show up and sing a song that they haven't rehearsed with the band? That sounds silly. If it was the 'new' singer who wasn't prepared to do all three songs, but was prepared to do that one, and had rehearsed it with you, then I'd say to you, "suck it up and help the both of you transition to your new roles" but that doesn't sound like the case.

You're relying entirely on their word that he doesn't suck? What... have they heard him sing along to the CD? There's a huge difference between being able to do that and being able to sing against a band with no vocal there already to guide you for when you forget the beginning of the next phrase.

Just sounds like a bad idea.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
So they want someone to just show up and sing a song that they haven't rehearsed with the band?

Exactly. Just say no because it's very unprofessional to play a gig with someone you haven't rehearsed with.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
sounds to me like you guys arent serious at all, It doesnt look like an organised band when you switch singers.
Quote by messiah01
My band has a gig coming up this Saturday, and we have been rehearsing for that I (Guitar), would sing 3 songs, cause our new singer hasn't had much time spent on those 3 songs I'm singing, and I'd figure I'd try to get comfortable singing in front of a crowd. My bass player called me today, and said when we play our cover of "In Bloom" by Nirvana, which I was planning on singing, he said he wants this guy we know to sing the song, just, because he has a more Kurt Cobain voice/attitude towards life. I told him I didn't want someone else singing the song, that I was planned to sing, and that I want to sing too. My bass player says it wouldn't matter, because him and our drummer would agree to get the other guy I don't want to sing the song, and I said what if our singer, who prefers not to sing Nirvana, votes against it, so it would be a 2 against 2 vote. My bass player says it wouldn't matter, and majority rules, so my opinion doesn't count what so ever in that choice, and I feel it's wrong. Does anybody have advice on how a band should agree and come to terms on things like these, and deciding which songs you choose to cover, and what originals you want to learn (I'm only contributer of originals). Sorry for the wall of text.

While I agree with you that this is a bad idea, if you want to run your band as a democracy, you have to go with the voted for decision and not moan about it, otherwise, you'll be undemocratic.
When you have an equal amount of people in a band, quite often it's necessary to bring an extra person in for the deciding vote. This should preferably be someone already kinda involved with the band, a roadie or a manager for example, but above all it should be someone that everyone in the band agrees they can trust with such decisions.
Personaly though, if it was my vote, I'd vote against it.
Just say he isn't in the band, and that you (your band) has put in all the work, and he shouldn't be allowed to just come upand play a song without having to go through the practicing. And if everyone else wants it, just let them have it, it is just one song.
Quote by aradine
i wish i got disowned by my grandparents so i could stay home tommorow and fap.

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX

Amps:
Vox Valvetronix 30
He has a "Kurt Cobain voice/attitude towards life"?
Sounds like a real winner...
Anyway, tell those guys to suck a dick, you're singing it.
If some other guy tries to get up there and sing, smash him with your guitar.
It doesn't sound like a democracy, anyway, especially if those guys are walking all over you.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Last edited by Sleaze Disease at Apr 29, 2008,
Quote by Sleaze Disease
He has a "Kurt Cobain voice/attitude towards life"?
Sounds like a real winner...

keep him away from the medicine cabinet!
Quote by kaptink
keep him away from the medicine cabinet!

Keep him away from the gun cabinet.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
ive always personally hated when someone who wasnt in the band to come on stage and play, unless there was like a really cool reason for it.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Keep him away from the gun cabinet.

keep him away from money seeking ho's..

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by axemanchris
So they want someone to just show up and sing a song that they haven't rehearsed with the band? That sounds silly. If it was the 'new' singer who wasn't prepared to do all three songs, but was prepared to do that one, and had rehearsed it with you, then I'd say to you, "suck it up and help the both of you transition to your new roles" but that doesn't sound like the case.

You're relying entirely on their word that he doesn't suck? What... have they heard him sing along to the CD? There's a huge difference between being able to do that and being able to sing against a band with no vocal there already to guide you for when you forget the beginning of the next phrase.

Just sounds like a bad idea.

CT

I've never heard him sing anything before, but a Bob Dylan song once, he never rehearsed with the band, and now they talked to me today, and want him to actually join the band. I'm against this, and he never rehearsed anything with us except we jammed together one time, which I didn't like, cause he showed me up, and took control of everything. My drummer says I'm paranoid, because I'm afraid of him stealing the spotlight from me, which I think it's not. I just plain old don't like playing music with him, because we are two very different people in what we like.
Quote by messiah01
I we jammed together one time, which I didn't like, cause he showed me up, and took control of everything. My drummer says I'm paranoid, because I'm afraid of him stealing the spotlight from me, which I think it's not.

i think it is
that sounds like exactly what it is
Quote by FuzzyBear
i think it is
that sounds like exactly what it is

No, cause I thought about other guitarists I know who I wouldn't mind playing with, who better than me, and I found out it's not that i'm afraid of him stealing the spotlight from me. It's he can manipulate my drummer and bassist, because they kiss his ass all the time, that's what I realized it was.
Maybe, but perhaps the question your conclusion is based on is one that is important to throw out there....

"Why do they hold him in such high esteem? Why are they willing to kiss his ass?"

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.