This is hard to explain, but here it goes.

My guitar case is a very snug fit, and my strap is very hard to get on and off. I don't really like cramming it in there with the strap, I don't think it's too good for it.

If I get some strap locks...Like these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schaller-Strap-Locks-and-Buttons-Pair-?sku=360389&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=36694363

Will that allow me to take the strap on and off easily? I don't really understand how they work. With the way that picture looks, it looks like they just pop into the new pegs you screw in. I don't see how that can be very strong of a hold.

My last question:

Are these easy to install without ruining anything? I have an Epiphone G-400 SG . Should I buy them and take them to a shop?

So...are these for me?

Thanks.
It makes it a lot easier to take and put on the straps. It's also wayyyy safer than keeping your guitar on regular strap buttons.

Installation is pretty simple too. All you have to do is unscrew the regular buttons then screw in the new, longer screws and strap lock buttons. Then you have to put on the strap buttons and washers on your straps and then you're done.
My Gear
Ibanez SR520EX with EMG 81/85 and boost
Peavey Valveking Head w/ Crate Blue Voodoo Cab
Peavey VB-2
Spector Euro 4
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-2
Will that allow me to take the strap on and off easily? Yes it will, you just pull a little button thingy, that slide it about half an inch away and it's off ( I have some on my guitar, very useful if you like to jump when playing, but don't wanna smash it on floor by accident )

Are these easy to install without ruining anything? you remove the ones you have right now, and screw these in the same holes...

So...are these for me? I think they are for everyone that owns a guitar actually ...
Hello, Mirror - so glad to see you my friend, it's been a while

Help me - I can't break out this prison all alone
Save me - I'm drowning and I'm hopeless on my own
Heal me - I can't restore my sanity alone
nice guitar....but no, the strap locks are made to be very sturdy. And as a matter of fact, they are almost very hard to get off.
What case are you using. Is it a SG case or a universal case.
If it's not a universal, than perhaps you should consider investing in one. If you plan on getting more guitars, the more guitars you get, the more cases your going to need. If you get a universal hard shell case, than you can travel with it and it will fit almost any shape.

Edit: I got some strap locks i custom made, so they must be different. Disregard this post
I have those exact same ones on my strat, they are easy to use and durable. It's not a hassle to put them on or take the strap off, takes a could seconds.
Last edited by AthenasGhost at Apr 28, 2008,
Quote by Red989
It makes it a lot easier to take and put on the straps. It's also wayyyy safer than keeping your guitar on regular strap buttons.

Installation is pretty simple too. All you have to do is unscrew the regular buttons then screw in the new, longer screws and strap lock buttons. Then you have to put on the strap buttons and washers on your straps and then you're done.

Will the screws be the same size most likely, or do I just have to make sure of that myself?
Yeah, Schaller works very well, I like em. They'll remove easily and they are sturdy. I recommend them.

I don't think it's necessary to have a shop install them.

As far as how they work:

Just take out your strap buttons with a screw driver, and save the screw. Then you pull the strap locks apart into two pieces. You then screw the base of the strap lock on to where your strap buttons were.

eh, it's easier to see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7dfG9Oo1QY

Edit:
Quote by NemX162
Will the screws be the same size most likely, or do I just have to make sure of that myself?

Or just use the same screws that were holding your strap buttons on.
Last edited by andersoncouncil at Apr 28, 2008,
Quote by andersoncouncil

Edit:

Or just use the same screws that were holding your strap buttons on.

That's almost crazy enough to work!
I have the same ones on my gibson les paul and they work excellent on taking them off and putting them back on,easy to install.
Quote by andersoncouncil
That's what I did on both of my guitars.

There isn't any important reason the screws are longer? Stability or something?
Schaller locks are the best IMO and they make it nice and easy to remove or install the strap.

theres two parts, one that attaches to the strap and the button part that gets screwed into the guitar body with the supplied new screws. If you feel the screws you install are too loose put some wood glue and toothpicks into the hole and wait for it to dry. The next day snap the wood smooth and then put the screw in that came with the locks.

Nobody will know you put any glue or anything into the hole and it wont change the sound any. I was a little hesitant on doing it to my guitar at first but it made it much safer.

installing the Schaller locks is truly an easy job and something almost anyone can do.
Quote by NemX162
There isn't any important reason the screws are longer? Stability or something?

I don't think so. The guy at the shop told me that's what I should do.

Though I did have some problems with one of my guitars, but I think that was because the wood is poor quality. The strap locks kept coming loose. But it was easy enough to fix. I just took out the strap locks, filled the holes with wood putty, let it dry, and put them back.

But I'm constantly adjusting that guitar for various reasons, so I think you'll probably be ok. My other guitar has never had strap lock problems with the shorter screws.
I've just bought my first set of straplocks, was gonna go for schallers, but stumbled across these "marvel" ones and thought i'd give them a try:

http://www.dangleberrymusic.co.uk/GOLD_ULTRA-SAFE_STRAPLOCKS_Guitar_Strap_Locks_System-pr-5186-c-742-p-1.html

dunno if theyre any good yet as I havent tried them
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!
I just put rubber washers over the posts. I have never lost a strap and the washers come off easy when you put your guitar away.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
I think dunlop makes the best ones. just a push of a button and you're free.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by Reildeal

These are the ones i use too you push the button and its just a regular strap button. It's great because my case is snug too.
Quote by Reildeal

But what if you were playing and bumped the button on something?

I like Schaller personally.
I'd grab some. I like my Schallers, I have a pair on each of my main guitars.

If the screws on the Schallers are smaller, you can fix it buy glueing a piece or two of toothpick into the hole left from removing the old strap button in with wood glue.
yes, i have these locks on all my guitars and they work
lovely, unless of course you dont have a universal case,
in which case, they can be a pain to have to take off
everytime you want to put your guitar in its case, or if
you have an SG, cuz they'll poke you, i would almost
suggest just buying a couple washers.

but, yes, i would give these locks 5/5
BulletzAreScene