If they all have one guitarist and I may try out. I don't have a halfstack... but I may try out anyway, since I'm saving up for one later.

One of the bands is the most well known, local, and plays teh br00tlez (deathcore), and am considering it, but dunno how fun it will be, but it's band experience

Another is a not-so-well-known thrash metal band. They are also lacking another guitarist (I'm somewhat looking for ideas for writing thrash music). Sounds fun.

Finally theres a regular metal band, not too hard, but whatever. They're all two years younger than me, but it's band experience...

But for thrash music, are riffs mainly open low E fast picking and power chords? And diminished/chromatics for solos?
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Line 6 Tonecore Uber Metal
you dont need a halfstack

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

1. You don't need a halfstack. You probably won't be playing HUGE clubs, so the Palomino V16 might be able to handle it, though a larger tube amp might be needed. 2. I say go for it, the more experience you have, the better. Sorry for starting off topic.

EDIT: Annoying grammar mistakes!
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Last edited by theacousticpunk at Apr 28, 2008,
Quote by timzee117
you dont need a halfstack

Dude, I find it really annoying that everytime somebody mentions having or wanting or touching a halfstack the auto-response is "U DUN KNEAD AUH HAFFSTAK." I'm not saying that may or may not be true, BUT IT HAS ABSOLUTELY NO RELEVENCE TO ANYTHING THAT HE POSTED. Would it be possible to maybe say something USEFUL and then at the end bring up the halfstack thing? Maybe just a little?

Edit: I really don't think that a V16 would cut it. Especially in a two guitarist band. I'd say you need at least 25 tube watts.
Last edited by Cutlass_253 at Apr 28, 2008,
And I find it really annoying that you have to intentionally misspell other people's posts to make your argument stronger...
Quote by md41
If they all have one guitarist and I may try out. I don't have a halfstack... but I may try out anyway, since I'm saving up for one later.

One of the bands is the most well known, local, and plays teh br00tlez (deathcore), and am considering it, but dunno how fun it will be, but it's band experience

Another is a not-so-well-known thrash metal band. They are also lacking another guitarist (I'm somewhat looking for ideas for writing thrash music). Sounds fun.

Finally theres a regular metal band, not too hard, but whatever. They're all two years younger than me, but it's band experience...

But for thrash music, are riffs mainly open low E fast picking and power chords? And diminished/chromatics for solos?

Not having a half-stack shouldn't affect your decision
Quote by Cutlass_253
Dude, I find it really annoying that everytime somebody mentions having or wanting or touching a halfstack the auto-response is "U DUN KNEAD AUH HAFFSTAK." I'm not saying that may or may not be true, BUT IT HAS ABSOLUTELY NO RELEVENCE TO ANYTHING THAT HE POSTED. Would it be possibly to maybe say something USEFUL and then at the end bring up the halfstack thing? Maybe just a little?

dude this guy is the first guy to actually make sense for ages if you want a half stack get one I have one and I love it! Oh and yeah go for any of the bands any experience is good!
Quote by LaGrange
Shouldnt have said the unspoken words of MG in the pit. Now look at what ya dun.

Quote by Mecler
A guitar made of wood?
That's such a ****ing brilliant idea!
Quote by md41

I wouldn't suggest playing in bands of specific genres unless you're not doing the writing. And the term "thrash" varies a lot. Slayer and Metallica are hardly the same thing.
Quote by Somniferous
And I find it really annoying that you have to intentionally misspell other people's posts to make your argument stronger...

I also caps locked it .
Quote by punkmetalA7X91
dude this guy is the first guy to actually make sense for ages if you want a half stack get one I have one and I love it! Oh and yeah go for any of the bands any experience is good!

Ok, hold up, I'm not necessarily saying he should get a half stack. I just wanted to point out he wasn't asking about an amp. I think it should be his decision to buy whatever amp he wants and IF he asks whether or not to get a halfstack we can try and help him decide. I see nothing wrong with getting a half stack (though to me, quarter stacks seem the best of both worlds) but it doesn't fit all situations, and is way too big for most.
Quote by Cutlass_253
Ok, hold up, I'm not necessarily saying he should get a half stack. I just wanted to point out he wasn't asking about an amp. I think it should be his decision to buy whatever amp he wants and IF he asks whether or not to get a halfstack we can try and help him decide. I see nothing wrong with getting a half stack (though to me, quarter stacks seem the best of both worlds) but it doesn't fit all situations, and is way too big for most.

I know that but you were probably the first person I've seen not to instantly slam someone for wanting to get a half stack
Quote by LaGrange
Shouldnt have said the unspoken words of MG in the pit. Now look at what ya dun.

Quote by Mecler
A guitar made of wood?
That's such a ****ing brilliant idea!
Quote by Cutlass_253
BUT IT HAS ABSOLUTELY NO RELEVENCE TO ANYTHING THAT HE POSTED.

And I quote...

I don't have a halfstack... but I may try out anyway
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Blah you don't really need a half stack, 60-watt tube combo should get you by etc. etc.

As for thrash, I wouldn't say it's generally so much diminished or chromatic based. IMO it's WAY more blues scale based with some diminished riffs.